Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    1 full length wally world ccf, plus another cut to fit perpendicular for core torso, the leftover piece for sit pad, and footpad as needed.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I need to try out my Big Agnes Air Core some more. I abandoned it a while ago for CCF, but a lot of my preferences have changed since then. I think it may be time to revisit... Particularly once it warms up.
    I used the BA insulated air core inserted inside the sleeve of a BA sleeping bag inside my hammock with surprisingly comfortable results. After reading everything here on the HF, I expected to be wrestling with the pad or falling off the pad all night - but ended up being really comfortable.

I only filled about 40-50% with air - which may have helped.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Thanks for all the great responses.

OldRagFreeze, Miguel, DigitalJanitor, and DuctTape, do you use your pads inside a double layer or just lay right on the pad? Any trick for getting the pad positioned where you want it in the double layer? It seems like every time I try a pad in the double layer it takes at least half a dozen tries laying in the hammock and getting out and adjusting before I even begin to think it might be in just the right place.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I only have used single layer hammocks. My BA Air Core pad moved around A LOT, but so far the CCF pads have been pretty stationary. In fact I'd be more likely to complain that I can't move it when I want to than that it moves when I don't want it to. I've gotten used to putting the pad exactly the way I want it then pressing down in the middle of it as I sit down to keep it in place. Once my weight is on it it absolutely will not move.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketBoy View Post
    Thanks for all the great responses.

OldRagFreeze, Miguel, DigitalJanitor, and DuctTape, do you use your pads inside a double layer or just lay right on the pad? Any trick for getting the pad positioned where you want it in the double layer? It seems like every time I try a pad in the double layer it takes at least half a dozen tries laying in the hammock and getting out and adjusting before I even begin to think it might be in just the right place.
    Most of my hammocks are double layer. I find the pad/mattress moves alot less when in a sleeve. An air mattress in a Ridgerunner is an awesome combination. Brandon had the insight to make the bottom layer a bit looser so you hardly know the mattress is in there.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB, DangerBird, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Images
    Husby tried it between the layers and thought it was more hassle. I've only used my BA pad 'top loaded' into the bottom of the hammock and haven't had any issues with it. The trick IMO is to get the pad + sleeping bag laid out and 'initial butt-plant' strategically placed... after that it's just lights out.

Hammock
    "Sherman" dyi DL digital camo
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue
    I took 2 a Walmart ccf pad and cut it into 2" strips. I then weaved them into a 30" x40" flexible pad duct taping the edges. I have used it in my diy dl hammock down to 30. I also use it in my folding camp chair, ice fishing chair, and once on my creeper working on my truck. It verycomfy iI have always planned on putting a cover on it made out of rip stop but it works pretty good as is.
    If you can't duck it then use more duct tape!

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

How do you use your pad?

I cut one Walmart pad to make wings and a torso length pad. I slide those and a thermarest into my SPE and I'm cozy down to around 25F(with warm clothing). If its gonna be colder, I toss in an extra Walmart pad under the torso length one. An inch of Walmart pad and a thermarest had me venting inside my hammock sock at 10F.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmatt72 View Post
    An inch of Walmart pad and a thermarest had me venting inside my hammock sock at 10F.
    How comfortable/manageable is an inch+ of pad in a hammock? Which hammock did you use this with?

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

How do you use your pad?

I have a HH Safari, so there's no shortage of room. The SPE keeps it all together very nicely. I sleep like a baby on it, but I only use that combo below 25F. Most often it's the single layer foam alone or with the thermarest.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast