TableCloth 11'
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ/TP
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

2nd Ever Winter Overnight

After a bunch of new gear came in the mail my buddy and I once again decided we should head out into state land and set up shop for a night.
    I got to test the new superfly, hammock gear UQ, BRS-8 stove, some reflectix, and some dry bags and compression sacks.

I hung the superfly and it took about 30 minutes to get the guy lines attached.
    For the four main tie outs I decided to use a shock cord attached to the tarp that had a prussic knot around line that went to the stake. For the doors I went with just a loop of shock cord.
    I really liked this setup as the shock cord with the prussic really supplied a great deal of adjustability. Winds picked up around 4 or 5 in the morning and everything held nice and tight.

The HG UQ held up very well and it was the greatest thing coming from using a pad. For having never used a UQ before I had an easy time getting it set up and adjusted to where I thought I would need it. I never had to readjust it the entire night and pretty much forgot it was there.

Now for the BRS-8 Liquid Fuel Stove. I bought this stove off of dealextreme (it's also sold at a higher price at amazon) and had my concerns. If you don't know what dealextreme is, it is a china based company/website that sells all sorts of item for cheaper than dirt prices. Some items are knock offs, some items are the real deal. They offer free shipping on everything and if you're willing to wait the 1 month ship time and love cheap stuff this website is for you. So anyway - I picked up the stove for about $50 as I didn't really want to spend $100+ on an MSR product.
    I was not disappointed at all. Everything worked the way it should and had 0 issues. I forgot to weigh it and I imagine it is heavier than it's MSR counterpart. But for $50 and flawless performance I'm not complaining about the weight.

The honorable mention on this trip was a plain ol roll of reflectix. This stuff is ultra handy. My friend and I each cut a 2'x2' piece off of the big roll and used them for everything the whole trip. They made great sit pads. I could sit directly on the snow with this stuff and I could feel the snow but it wasn't making me cold. When we weren't directly using them we used it as a layer to store gear on the snow.
    I learned this trip that my boots weren't really that waterproof. My pants and my socks were soaked by mid day. I took the reflectix pieces and made a drying oven which worked brilliantly.
    From here on out, I'm sold on the stuff. I plan on folding up a 2'x2' piece and packing it on all of my trips. It's too convenient and multipurpose to not have. My only qualm is that the reflective material on both sides rubs a bit too easily. By the end of the trip both of our sheets were pretty much just clear plastic bubble wrap.

Images
    Excellent report and picts thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Looks like a great time had! Love my reflectix - use it as a sit pad all the time.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Great idea on the drying reflector. Looks like a nice trip

Looks like you guys had a nice getaway to do some gear testing and get some fresh air! Great pics too.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    Great idea on the drying reflector. Looks like a nice trip
    +1 on the reflector. I will need to try that on my next trip. Learn something new every day here.

Hammock
    BIAS camper
    Tarp
    super fly
    Insulation
    AHE Uq, EE Tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice report. I like the reflectix it's always useful.
    Shalom.

ramjet

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware
    +1 on the reflectix drying oven. Good thinking.
    Benji
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Images
    Thing of beauty, Lando! WhooHoooo!

Seeing your stove sitting in the snow reminded me of one time many years ago, using my similar MSR, on bottomless snow high up on MT. Baker, WA in June. My group job that afternoon was getting water by melting snow for the entire group of 6, and I produced all the water any one could need, pretty fast and easy. With just one stove going.

But now, looking at your picture, I'm thinking: how did I keep the hot stove from melting the snow under the stove and sinking down into the snow? I guess I must have had some kind of insulation under it, but I can not remember. Or does it not get very hot under the stove, with most of the heat rising? Any ideas?

Any way, that type of stove you had is great for a cold snowy trip. Especially if melting snow for water. Even if there is some added weight, it might be worth it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    +1 on the reflectex oven,,,good idea.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts