Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I haven't had a problem with suspension failure, not because I am too smart for that to happen, but because so many others have tried, tested and proven suspension perameters that just WORK, and safely. Thanks to all who have contributed to my hanging safety.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    No suspension failures yet, only fabric.
    Yeah that's a possibility as well. I think I'll start that thread next. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg Tyed View Post
    I snapped a set of the harbor freight yellow tie straps 2nd time I used them as webbing. Also had a buckle blow out on me. Its a real attention getter.
    OUCH....How did the straps snap? Was it a clean break, any idea as to the cause of the breakage. And a buckle blow out, their has gotta be more to this story. Did the actual buckle break or did the strap slip through somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Just my pride!
    Well that ain't to bad, hopefully you've regained it back

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    I haven't had a failure yet, thankfully. Interesting set of experiences to read, though!
    Yeah I thought so too. I hear lots of talk about the mathematics of it but was looking for personal experiences. Thanks every one for sharing, hopefully this will help out others and prevent them from thumping on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    As I mutter in a sheepish voice, "I'm hanging on those straps!" At least for now

Were there any extenuating circumstances like hanging at less than 30* or juggling in your hammock like Shug?
    I wonder this too....

How long have you been hanging on your straps and is their any obvious signs of wear, I wonder why one set would snap and the while another holds perfectly well. I am sure their are an infinite number of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    1/8" Vectran, rated to 2000 lbs if memory serves, single line suspension set up, too taut because I hung between trees that were maybe 25 ft apart and I didn't bring my Dutchware titanium micro-stepladder along to push the webbing way up the tree. Snapped at a knot when I dropped into the hammock.

Knots + geometry + dynamic forces can push the stuff we use into the danger zone.

This happened before I learned to splice and avoid knots where possible.

Lesson learned that day...
    Good advice, I prefer anything spliced to anything tied, I am sure knots have their place but I simply do not trust myself to tie them.

Quote Originally Posted by ezhiker View Post
    In the past 15 years of hanging this has happened to me on two occasions. # 1
    WalMart poly webbing double ring set up broke right on the compression point of the rings. #2 Hennesey suspension rope broke right at the connection point on the foot end, in a downpour. Ended up in the truck for the balance of the night. If I had been backpacking on that trip I would have had to do some scrambling to recover as the rain had formed quite a puddle that I went into. Totally soaked,but managed to keep the down mostly dry. It broke under the cover so there was no way to check it ahead of time. Now hang on 7/64 Amsteel whoopies and MSH.
    Glad to hear you had a bail out close by. And this is one reason why I carry an extra dynaglide woopie sling and dutch biner with me on back packing trips. In case either I have a strap or woopie failure I have a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinajeep View Post
    I put poly webbing through the ends of one of my ENO in the hopes of making tree straps and suspension one piece. It gave way in about two minutes!! I think it was a combo of bad angles and cheap junk webbing. I plan to retry it this summer. No toggles, no knots, no messing around. Pull straps until ridgelne is right and done. True one minute setup.
    Yeah quality webbing is certainly important. Glad you figured out a safer suspension system.'

Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Well I never have been dropped, but I have to confess to dropping my wife

The whipping on the end of the hammock pulled off from the larks head attachment to the whoopie sling.
    No injuries resulted, I was just in the time out chair for a bit

I also dropped Macentyre 2 times in one night

He was sleeping in our place, on the way to MN, hanging from straps I had used for years from the ceiling joists.
    First one failed, then a bit later the second failed. Glad I had provided a thick crash mat under the hammock.

I guess they were not good webbing, something I had found when I first started hanging.
    He made some loops from Mule tape that was hanging on the wall and now I use them instead of unknown strap material
    HUM, yeah if I ever come over for a sleep over TZ Ill bring my own hammock stand

Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    I had a strap failure with cinch buckles. I did not pay attention to the buckle, it was twisted slightly, and it cut through the strap. I landed on the small of my back and compressed L5-S1. Spent 6 weeks in bed eating Dilaudid. I felt ok after the fall, it was during the 4.5 hr ride home that the pain set in.
    Now these are the kind of stories that scare me when I am backpacking and hanging. Hope you have made a full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    I never had straps or line fail, but once a toggle broke in two, and down I came. I selected a piece of wood that looked like it was thick enough, and the theory is that the whoopie holds to the strap, not the toggle. But the weight of the subject (myself of course) was too much for this wooden toggle. I could not for a minute figure out what had happened there in the dark, inside my HH expedition. Now I use a metal toggle.
    hopefully you were able to enjoy the rest of the trip. Glad to hear you got a metal toggle.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I was trying to improve how the stock suspension connected. Had already had the s-clips slip out on a day hike once before. So I tied some knots in it where it connected to the s-clips. Hoping to keep it from slipping.

I still have the knot stashed away on my wall of shame. I'll try to get a pic of it this evening.
    Pictures would be great

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I haven't had a problem with suspension failure, not because I am too smart for that to happen, but because so many others have tried, tested and proven suspension perameters that just WORK, and safely. Thanks to all who have contributed to my hanging safety.
    And a big oll +1 on this. Many people deserve thanks and gratitude for helping suspend a community of hikers above ground.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Very interesting thread, Lazy River you sir add another interesting insight and look into the conundrum.......

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Although as much as I would love to add a horror story, I have not yet had the pleasure of having a suspension break on me. Sorry pal!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I guess I haven't been hanging long enough (3 years) to have a suspension failure. My whoopies used to come off the marlin spike hitch and toggle, which is why I don't use MSH and toggle anymore. Dutch whoopie hooks give me peace of mind, as does splicing. Nice to know a few knots, but I'll go with the manufacturer recommendation that splices retain more breaking strength.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    have yet to have the suspension snap on me thought i have had a toggle fail and it dropped me to within a hairs breath of the floor. carbon fiber toggle from an arrow shaft. was hanging in a friends garage just lounging and someone decided to join me in the hammock. the added weight caused the MSH to crush the toggle.

I Broke Amsteel 7/64

I'm pretty heavy--about 370 lbs. I've been dropped in the field twice--both times by situations outside the area of this thread (fisherman's knot slipped, crushed toggle when I used a "found" stick). However, the one time that I straight out broke some Amsteel 7/64 it was in my own home with a new rope. The rope broke right as it entered a knot, and was therefore making a sharp right-angle turn. As best I can calculate, the rope was very close to or even above its rated strength.

I've had ceiling hooks in the basement for awhile. However, to test out a bridge hammock, I needed to get the attachment points lower. I'd seen a thread where people were making suggestions about hanging a bridge in a small room, and one guy used floor hooks with heavy-duty chains between the ceiling and floor, and then could put the attachment at any height.

I didn't happen to have any chains, but I did have a spool of Amsteel. So I put a couple of hooks in the wall and tied a couple of loops at eye-level in the near vertical ropes. The bridge hammock then formed an "H" shape along with the two ropes tied wall-to-ceiling. The break occurred on one of the verticals, just above the knot forming the tie-off loop.

In hind sight, I don't recall worrying too much about the wall hooks, although they were anchored well. After I calculated the forces on each piece of the system, I determined that all the hooks had the better part of a ton applied on them. I no longer use the wall hooks.

I've estimated the distances and angles involved, and used rough numbers for calculations. The resulting calculations estimate that my Amsteel broke at a couple hundred pounds higher than the rated strength. I think it more likely that the angles were a little less, the hammock a little lower, etc., and that the rope was very close to 1600 lbs.

By the way, if your wife is in the room above you when you break this stuff, she will be very upset. It literally sounded like a gunshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jimbo3b; 03-15-2013 at 09:55. Reason: Added spreadsheet

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    I haven't had any line snap, and it's interesting because I'm using a 550 cord suspension system, typically the line mostly likely to snap and hence why people are generally steered clear of it for suspension. Maybe I'm just lucky? I expected to see at least one snap in this thread from 550 cord though and there isn't.

Edit* now I am NOT just using a single piece of 550 cord on each end and calling it good. I took(for each side) two 12 ft pieces, folded them in half, then proceeded to tie knots down the length to act as attachment points for the hammock hook. They have a loop at each end where the two pieces were folded, thus allowing me to use them as tree huggers. Anyone got any ideas as to why this works. Did I essentially make a 2000+ lb breaking strength strap by using two pieces ad folding them in half?
    Last edited by TheIrishmanHangeth; 03-21-2013 at 12:19.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Not sure how...

I've never had any of my suspensions fail, amsteel or dynaglide. However, my oldest daughter managed to snap a 1/8″ amsteel whoopie last night, right in the middle of the adjustable loop. The only possibility I can think of is that she pulled the suspension tight to get the hammock up high, and jumped in with considerable force. She's maybe 115 lbs, so I'm not sure how she managed to generate that much force.

Michael

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanCometh View Post

Edit* now I am NOT just using a single piece of 550 cord on each end and calling it good. I took(for each side) two 12 ft pieces, folded them in half, then proceeded to tie knots down the length to act as attachment points for the hammock hook. They have a loop at each end where the two pieces were folded, thus allowing me to use them as tree huggers. Anyone got any ideas as to why this works. Did I essentially make a 2000+ lb breaking strength strap by using two pieces ad folding them in half?
    Combining four lengths would add strength but the knots in each will derate that strength. I don't know by how much but in some cordage a knot can decrease the breaking strength by 50% or even more.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Diy rip stop
    Tarp
    DIY Ripstop hex
    Insulation
    diy climashld UQTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Watched my cousin roll out backwards down a hill because one his DIY whoopies didn't cut it and got a real good laugh out of it

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast