WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

Superfly G2G (Going to Ground) Options

Look, I know we all hate the thought of it, but let's face it: sometimes hanging isn't an option. It's been gusty all day today, so I figured it would be a great opportunity to practice setting up my Warbonnet Superfly as a tarp tent. Put two unfortunate circumstances together: dealing with being on the ground, and having to pitch in decent winds. This was actually my first time setting it up on the ground, and it was interesting, and a good learning experience. And I'm glad I did it in the wind, because that posed its own difficulties to have to deal with and learn to work around.

ANYWHO. Picture time! We've all likely seen pictures of the Superfly pitched over a hammock, and the many various ways that can be done (and if not, a simple search will show many), so I won't bother posting anything like that. Besides, this thread is about it being pitched on the ground. (Note: You'll have to use your imagination a tidbit, and pretend the PVC poles you see being used on the pullouts are trail branches)

Before deployment; I keep it wrapped up in velcro cable ties, and those are my trekking poles (which, coincidentally, can also be used as spreaders on the Ridgerunner, and as porch-mode poles... coincidence that they're multi-use? I THINK NOT):

First up is the "fair-weather" setup.

Fully deployed:

Chickens decided they liked it better out of the wind. With the pullouts, it is downright cavernous in there. 12'x7'x3' the way I had it pitched. Could easily have slept 3 people in there, probably more if in a pinch. And big enough to sit completely upright in it:

Next up is the "storm mode" setup, using only one trekking pole with the other side staked directly to the ground and with that side into the wind.

Could probably sleep two in there, but it might start getting uncomfortable (as if the ground alone wasn't enough to contend with). For one person, it'd be roomy.

Had a lot of fun playing with it out there. The Superfly is an AMAZINGLY versatile tarp. Like I said above, there are many (as in, A LOT of) ways it can be pitched over a hammock, and there are pictures of that all over the forums. While I haven't actually actively searched for any, I've not seen any pictures of it pitched on the ground. So, there you have it.

If anyone else has any pictures of this bad boy pitched on the ground, let's see 'em!
    Last edited by Kyle; 03-11-2013 at 18:40.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    13x10camo, SuprFly
    Insulation
    Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing,biners,RL
    Very nice.... I'm just a beginner who has yet to hang and trying to keep the budget low to see if this something I'll commit too.

Having said that, I can see that thing in my future.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Nice work with the ground options!

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    Very impressive.

Nice! I just bought a superfly and hadn't thought about going to ground. Like the options.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl,DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    phoenix 20F
    Suspension
    webbing&dutchware
    Hey thanks for that!

I have a superfly but have not tried ground options. Its good to see that even if there are no trees I can still set up a functional shelter.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    That looks really cool. I will have to try that out sometime.

But I have a question about the chickens. Do they ever bother your gear? I have great trees in my chicken yard, but I'm afraid they'll get in there and poke holes in everything with their sharp toes. I'm worried about the puppy in my other preferred spot.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    BIAS/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Like that superfly.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Thanks for the replies, y'all.

@darkbyrd: Nope, never have any problems with them. Sometimes, they'll peck at a line of Zing-It or something on the ground a few times until they realize it's not edible. They leave my gear alone, though I don't leave it out when they're around... I'd be pretty ticked to find them all roosting on the hammock or something, lol.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Thanks for the replies, y'all.

@darkbyrd: Nope, never have any problems with them. Sometimes, they'll peck at a line of Zing-It or something on the ground a few times until they realize it's not edible. They leave my gear alone, though I don't leave it out when they're around... I'd be pretty ticked to find them all roosting on the hammock or something, lol.
    Might be worth giving it a try, the trees are perfect and close to the house. Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe I'll come back with some good pictures and a horror story.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast