WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

Superfly G2G (Going to Ground) Options

Look, I know we all hate the thought of it, but let's face it: sometimes hanging isn't an option. It's been gusty all day today, so I figured it would be a great opportunity to practice setting up my Warbonnet Superfly as a tarp tent. Put two unfortunate circumstances together: dealing with being on the ground, and having to pitch in decent winds. This was actually my first time setting it up on the ground, and it was interesting, and a good learning experience. And I'm glad I did it in the wind, because that posed its own difficulties to have to deal with and learn to work around.

ANYWHO. Picture time! We've all likely seen pictures of the Superfly pitched over a hammock, and the many various ways that can be done (and if not, a simple search will show many), so I won't bother posting anything like that. Besides, this thread is about it being pitched on the ground. (Note: You'll have to use your imagination a tidbit, and pretend the PVC poles you see being used on the pullouts are trail branches)

Before deployment; I keep it wrapped up in velcro cable ties, and those are my trekking poles (which, coincidentally, can also be used as spreaders on the Ridgerunner, and as porch-mode poles... coincidence that they're multi-use? I THINK NOT):

First up is the "fair-weather" setup.

Fully deployed:

Chickens decided they liked it better out of the wind. With the pullouts, it is downright cavernous in there. 12'x7'x3' the way I had it pitched. Could easily have slept 3 people in there, probably more if in a pinch. And big enough to sit completely upright in it:

Next up is the "storm mode" setup, using only one trekking pole with the other side staked directly to the ground and with that side into the wind.

Could probably sleep two in there, but it might start getting uncomfortable (as if the ground alone wasn't enough to contend with). For one person, it'd be roomy.

Had a lot of fun playing with it out there. The Superfly is an AMAZINGLY versatile tarp. Like I said above, there are many (as in, A LOT of) ways it can be pitched over a hammock, and there are pictures of that all over the forums. While I haven't actually actively searched for any, I've not seen any pictures of it pitched on the ground. So, there you have it.

If anyone else has any pictures of this bad boy pitched on the ground, let's see 'em!
    Last edited by Kyle; 03-11-2013 at 18:40.

• + New Posts