Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Ridgerunner(in the mail)
    Tarp
    Cloudburst(in the
    Insulation
    Lynx/Mamba
    Images
    I would worry more about what's in your boots in the a.m.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Amen to that. Last summer I was hanging in the NJ Pine Barrens. I was sitting on the ground reading a book before going to bed. I noticed a large spider crawl over my leg, then a small one, then a medium one, all in the space of a few seconds. I brought my head lamp down to ground level and there were thousands of spiders! The ground was seething with them as far as my head lamp could shine.

I then went back to reading my book.
    See this is the point I start the whole forest on fire trying to kill them all.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Amen to that. Last summer I was hanging in the NJ Pine Barrens. I was sitting on the ground reading a book before going to bed. I noticed a large spider crawl over my leg, then a small one, then a medium one, all in the space of a few seconds. I brought my head lamp down to ground level and there were thousands of spiders! The ground was seething with them as far as my head lamp could shine.

I then went back to reading my book.
    I would have done the same...from the safety and bug-free sanctity of my hammock!

Not a spider fan. Honestly a good part of the reason I was so attracted to sleeping in a hammock. Family is from the south, summers spent in N.Ga. and my Gran was a loon about making sure I banged out my shoes every morning, especially after her sister got bit by a widow, weeding, and ended up in the ER.

Have had 2 friends get bit by recluses and have reactions. In the words of Doc Holiday- "I will not be a part of that thank you very much."

I'd say you're pretty safe in your Hammy OP, just make sure you use a bugnet

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I shake my shoes/boots out every time I put them on. Comes from when bivwacking with USMC and we slept around tranchulas and scorpions, getting into our boots everynite. We did have a rattler get into a guys poncho and he woke and wouldn't move..so we just built a fire and smoked him out and he came slithering out. Makes you wrap up nice and tight with whatever you are using to sleep covered up with for sure. Bug nets are the ticket,,and so my shoes stay at the foot end of the hammock or tied at the end with me still checking them every time I put them on.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I worry more when I step down out of the hammock for a middle of night nature call and getting nailed by one.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Spiders are a worry, but too big of one. I am just healing from a spider bite on my hand that began destroying the surrounding flesh. Never saw or felt the thing that I can remember, but I get into some pretty remote places, and also sleep on the ground on occasion, under a tarp. Will stick to the hammock this summer.

Snakes? Good eating.

~ SkyPainter
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    Spiders are a worry, but too big of one. I am just healing from a spider bite on my hand that began destroying the surrounding flesh. Never saw or felt the thing that I can remember, but I get into some pretty remote places, and also sleep on the ground on occasion, under a tarp. Will stick to the hammock this summer.

Snakes? Good eating.

~ SkyPainter
    Exactly, friend of mine stayed the night at a hotel by the vegas airport. Couple weeks later her foot looked like she had elephantitis and a quarter sized hole in her foot. Never saw or felt a thing.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Big Blue Tarp!
    Insulation
    B.A.N.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    I've hung in the jungle almost weekly (and sometimes for weeks) for around two decades , and have never had a snake in the hammock. Not something to worry about, IMO.

Conversely, I have an irrational fear of bears... Every time I make the trek across the globe and head into the BWCA, Quetico, etc, with my brother, the first couple of nights are almost sleepless... It's crazy. No fear of wolves, cougars, sharks (I spearfish, surf, kayak, etc), spiders, snakes, etc... But bears? Forgetaboudit!

Cheers,
    Matt

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234