I just got my first hammock (never even hung it yet) and I'm already thinking about how I can prevent cold spots on an upcoming trip. For some reason, I have it in my mind that there has to be something better than a big fluffy underquilt...but again, I'm new so I don't have a great understanding of what options are available out there in the DIY world. So here's my thoughts on a custom underquilt-type rig:

I was thinking about using a space blanket similar to this one: Space Blanket or this one: Heatsheets Emergency Blanket and using velcro to secure it around the sides of my hammock with a small gap underneath. From what I understand, the issue is that the air under pressure points is cold thus absorbing heat from your butt. The blanket would trap an air pocket under the hammock and block wind...for ~$20 and only +12oz.

My logic is that if there is a gap underneath the hammock that is mostly sealed and is reflecting radiant heat back (cause it is a space blanket), then wouldn't the air be warmer and thus keep you warm? Wouldn't need any fill (i.e. down or actual underquilt) would you?

I understand that some folks have mentioned condensation being a concern in the past and I'm not worried about condensation either cause it doesn't much matter if I get condensation on a space blanket.

Also, I would like to note that I do intend on using a 1/2" foam pad and a North Face 20* bag.

Please help me if I am understanding this wrong.

Thanks for your help all!
-Matt