GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies

Question Question about a DIY underquilt-type setup

I just got my first hammock (never even hung it yet) and I'm already thinking about how I can prevent cold spots on an upcoming trip. For some reason, I have it in my mind that there has to be something better than a big fluffy underquilt...but again, I'm new so I don't have a great understanding of what options are available out there in the DIY world. So here's my thoughts on a custom underquilt-type rig:

I was thinking about using a space blanket similar to this one: Space Blanket or this one: Heatsheets Emergency Blanket and using velcro to secure it around the sides of my hammock with a small gap underneath. From what I understand, the issue is that the air under pressure points is cold thus absorbing heat from your butt. The blanket would trap an air pocket under the hammock and block wind...for ~$20 and only +12oz.

My logic is that if there is a gap underneath the hammock that is mostly sealed and is reflecting radiant heat back (cause it is a space blanket), then wouldn't the air be warmer and thus keep you warm? Wouldn't need any fill (i.e. down or actual underquilt) would you?

I understand that some folks have mentioned condensation being a concern in the past and I'm not worried about condensation either cause it doesn't much matter if I get condensation on a space blanket.

Also, I would like to note that I do intend on using a 1/2" foam pad and a North Face 20* bag.

Please help me if I am understanding this wrong.

Thanks for your help all!
    -Matt

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    With that kind of pad you'd not need an UQ, would you?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I recall seeing a guy use a "blizzard bag" I think it's called, as a pod.

It has one major advantage over blankets: baffles with reflective layers on top & bottom. The baffles are elastic so they hug the user, and the air space serves as insulation.

With your idea, I believe getting and maintaining a uniform airspace will be VERY difficult, and without it you will have outside moving air currents rob you of heat.

Good thinking, don't give up on creativity, report back on how it goes, and don't give up on a good underquilt!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey there......allright Gastonia. Grew up in Charlotte so I know it well.
    So....I think a camping pad in the hammock would be a better solution. Use a sleeping bag on top and off you go.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hey there......allright Gastonia. Grew up in Charlotte so I know it well.
    So....I think a camping pad in the hammock would be a better solution. Use a sleeping bag on top and off you go.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Awesome!

WHOOOO BUDDY!!!

Thanks for responding...I've been reading around and I just got the impression that a pad and a bag wasn't enough. If a cheap 1/4"-1/2" foam pad and a sleeping bag take care of the cold issue, then why do people spend so much time (and MONEY) on underquilts. Seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Now granted I do not have ANY experience with hammocks and don't understand how a pad affects comfort and such, but is that the main reason; comfort / personal preference?

I've watched your first 2 hanging basics videos Shug (they are awesome btw, thank you), and you used a top quilt, foam pad, reflectix and an underquilt. Does a sleeping bag remove the need for both top and bottom quilts? (I haven't had a chance to watch your video that you posted in your response (no speakers where I am), so I apologize if that answers my question).

Thanks again!
    Matt

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laziboie View Post
    Awesome!

WHOOOO BUDDY!!!

Thanks for responding...I've been reading around and I just got the impression that a pad and a bag wasn't enough. If a cheap 1/4"-1/2" foam pad and a sleeping bag take care of the cold issue, then why do people spend so much time (and MONEY) on underquilts. Seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Now granted I do not have ANY experience with hammocks and don't understand how a pad affects comfort and such, but is that the main reason; comfort / personal preference?

I've watched your first 2 hanging basics videos Shug (they are awesome btw, thank you), and you used a top quilt, foam pad, reflectix and an underquilt. Does a sleeping bag remove the need for both top and bottom quilts? (I haven't had a chance to watch your video that you posted in your response (no speakers where I am), so I apologize if that answers my question).

Thanks again!
    Matt
    UQs are just wayyyyyyy more comfortable and warm. But...I live in cold country so at the time I did the videos I was adding and subtracting things from my hammy set-up.
    The sleeping bag will work for both if you can get it around the hammock and made sure it is up against your back and buttocks. I do that in deep cold but augment it with extra insulation.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    I recall seeing a guy use a "blizzard bag" I think it's called, as a pod.

It has one major advantage over blankets: baffles with reflective layers on top & bottom. The baffles are elastic so they hug the user, and the air space serves as insulation.

With your idea, I believe getting and maintaining a uniform airspace will be VERY difficult, and without it you will have outside moving air currents rob you of heat.

Good thinking, don't give up on creativity, report back on how it goes, and don't give up on a good underquilt!
    You just sparked an idea in my head with the baffle talk. With a tarp, mylar and a hot glue gun / some sort of adhesive (I don't sew, lol), one could easily their own system with baffles like that. (It's probably been done already, but sounds like it would be fun to try.

Question about a DIY underquilt-type setup

The best advice is to practice at home. Start either in the back yard or an empty bedroom with the window open. It's nice to have the option of bailing when your bed is right there.

On my bike tour last fall I used pads so I'd have it to go to ground If necessary. On the last night of camping an unexpected cold front rolled through. I bought a cheap bag to use as a top quilt and rigged up my quilt as an under quilt.

• + New Posts