Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbridge/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Can a Hennessy ridgeline be "interrupted"?

I read in a trail journal about a hiker who cut the ridgeline on her HH and tied each end to a carabiner. Then when she wanted the ridgeline--for holding up the bugnet, for hanging the small items inside the hammock during sleeping, etc, she connected the carabiners to each other. But when she wanted to sit in the hammock in the evenings as a camp chair, she was able to disconnect the carabiners, so the ridgeline wasn't sitting on the back of her head.

Is this possible, or did I read something wrong?? I thought the ridgeline was part of the structure, and if you cut it the hammock would burst into flames or something.

Would be nice to be able to sit in the hammock without the ridgeline pushing on the back of my head.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I don't think you would have enough length if you just cut through it but you could replace it with a structural ridgline of you choice with a soft shackle or some dutch bling to make it removable.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Images

Priorities

I sleep for eight hours in my hammock but only sit in it for a few minutes. I'm not messing with the ridgeline.
    Last edited by Roche; 03-13-2013 at 08:03.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Make your ridge line where it runs through the head end ,instead of tied permanently at that point,then back to about where your hips are when in the hammock.
    I used a small ring,has to be strong enough to hold up to your body weight pulling on it, in my survivor at the head end for the ridge line to flow through. The foot end remains permanent.
    when you run the ridge line through the ring,start pulling it back toward the foot end,to get the longer ridge line you either change out the entire line ,or do what I did, just tie another piece onto it to lengthen it. Make it long enough to be 1.5 times as long as origional setting.
    I knew when mine was back to origional position when the binding knots were at the ring,but you could mark it with a permanent marker for easy repositioning.
    Tie the end of the ridge line back to the first with a taut line hich,this gives you a ridge line that can be tightened, or loosened by sliding the knot back and forth.
    Slide it all the way to the head end and the ridge line is now so loose it doesnt exist in the way anymore ,and the bug net will colapse into the hammock like a second layer. This makes chair mode more confy.(mine was bottom entry your zip model has no need to go past the ridge line part)
    Second part of this mod,if you have a bottom entry , thats really cool is with it colapsed,you can flip the hammock over laying on the bottom part of the hammock,having no screen above you. If you lie on top of the screen it waffles your skin,very uncomfy.
    The feel in that position totally changes the lie of the hammock to a small travel hammock. Good luck
    Last edited by hairbear; 03-13-2013 at 08:17.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    Second part of this mod thats really cool is with it colapsed,you can flip the hammock over laying on the bottom part of the hammock,having no screen above you,mine was a bottom entry, zip models dont have that concern.
    ...ZQ here....If I am understanding this correctly....I don't think you want to do that. The netting is cut smaller than the body of the hammock and you will rip the netting if you turn the hammock over and lay on both the body and netting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edit...I should add...2Questions has his ridgeline cut, and has a strong biner reattaching the ridgeline. When not using the netting, he can disconnect the ridgeline, and not use it when hanging.
    Last edited by 2Questions; 03-13-2013 at 08:04.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Images
    Edit...I should add...2Questions has his ridgeline cut, and has a strong biner reattaching the ridgeline. When not using the netting, he can disconnect the ridgeline, and not use it when hanging.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a MOD5 to me...(wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    Edit...I should add...2Questions has his ridgeline cut, and has a strong biner reattaching the ridgeline. When not using the netting, he can disconnect the ridgeline, and not use it when hanging.
    Sounds like a MOD5 to me...(wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
    ....There are alot of HH owners that do this. That's where 2Q got the idea. I think Dutch makes something that can be used to reconnect the ridgeline....not sure...don't quote me on that!
    Last edited by 2Questions; 03-13-2013 at 11:58.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Adjustable with a Dutch Biner

I replaced mine with Dynaglide and put in a Dutch Biner. Works great.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    ...ZQ here....If I am understanding this correctly....I don't think you want to do that. The netting is cut smaller than the body of the hammock and you will rip the netting if you turn the hammock over and lay on both the body and netting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Never noticed any damage in mine ,other than the bug net stretching a little. When pulled back tight it didnt bother me .
    I will give full respect to your knowlege in this matter,and suggest readers follow your advice instead of mine. Thanks for speaking up on the matter.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    Never noticed any damage in mine ,other than the bug net stretching a little. When pulled back tight it didnt bother me .
    I will give full respect to your knowlege in this matter,and suggest readers follow your advice instead of mine. Thanks for speaking up on the matter.
    ...ZQ here...We've never actually turned a HH over...no need to with the zipper Mod #4, but knowing that the bugnet is much smaller than the body, I would imagine some stress must be on the netting....and netting isn't designed to hold weight. Of course...to each their own...HYOW (hang your own way)!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast