Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taking the plunge, errr hang...

I'm approaching 40 years old and have decided to give the hammock thang a try. Sick of sleeping on the ground. I'm an active Scout leader and camp with them monthly let alone family/hunting/Jeeping camping. I also take trips to the BWCA quite a bit and have another trip coming up this summer. Sick of sleeping on granite rocks and tree roots up there! Should be plenty of trees to attach to. I'm also looking forward to some scenic spots that I couldn't set up on/near with a tent.

Just ordered my hammock "system" and can't wait to get it in. I ended up with the ENO Doublenest system to start out. I've read quite a bit on the reviews side and know they are loved/hated. I'm looking forward to getting my first hang out of it when it arrives in a week or so. Being in Iowa and being that it's still basically winter, I suspect it won't be a long one nor an over-nigher, yet...
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up - totally worn out and screaming "Whoo hoo! That was one HELLUVA ride'!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome. It seems hammock are growing in the scout ranks.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Welcome to the forums from a PA scouter. I slept in my ENO DN last summer at scout camp. The platform tent made a nice foyer Check it out here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=56134
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Welcome from a Midwestern neighbor! You'll love the transition up into the trees, I can already tell. You're also about to discover one of my favorite combinations: paddling and hanging - it's the best!

--Tim

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    Welcome from WV !! I too am a Scout Master that spends as many scout camping nights as possible in a hammock. Take a look at the Turtledog thread for an idea of how to hammock camp in the middle of a treeless field.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Taking the plunge, errr hang...

Welcome from Florida!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Thanks all! I am pretty jazzed. I got my fly and bug net yesterday. Tree were scheduled for delivery today. Hammock was scheduled for Monday.

However, I got a surprise- it showed up today! I'm taking off from work here in 3 minutes to head home and test it out. Got blessed with a warm streak (52 degrees) so I can't wait!

I shared the info with other scouters and I've got three others that are thinking about giving it a try now, too!

OK, enough dinking around on the forum- heading home for my first hang...
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up - totally worn out and screaming "Whoo hoo! That was one HELLUVA ride'!

Awesome. Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your first hang with your new gear.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome from SC. Hope your first hang went well. Remember that there is a learning curve. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Got my first hang out of the way. I rigged my straps up to the support posts on my back deck. After one adjustment, I had it the way I wanted it. I was ready to take a nap in it. I slept in a hammock for two semesters in college so I didn't anticipate having any problems sleeping in it. Wrong. I found that every time I got to the point I was going "out" that the slight swing of the hammock gave me that falling feeling and I startled myself back awake. Ugh.

Being the tale end of winter in Iowa, I am going to have to give it a little more time until I can give it another whirl. I have a Scout campout coming up in May and plan to rock it at that event. I need to get comfortable with it as my sleeping shelter/system before Boundary Waters in July...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast