LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you are talking about use as in an emergency situation, then I'd rather lay in a sweat inducing hammock, than on the hard ground. But that doesn't really include the hiker nor the motoadventure communities. So you're pretty much down to just prepers. And I"m just not convinced that a "hardcore" preper would want a hammock, because lets be honest, it is easier to escape from/hide under a tarp on the ground. And the lack of comfort, means you're automatically more awake and therefore more alert during the night.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    the lack of comfort, means you're automatically more awake and therefore more alert during the night.
    That made me laugh. Good point.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I've never liked the idea of a tarp/poncho combo. I like to set up my hammock when I get to camp, then unpack my gear, then cook then sit around. With either combo, I'd be stuck in the hammock (not entirely a bad thing) as soon as I decided to make camp.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Tarp/poncho doesn't work for me at all. I put my tarp up first and take it down last but put my hammock up later to keep it out of the way of cooking, cleaning, repairs and other camp chores.

Maybe I was not clear. I WANT A PONCHO/HAMMOCK. Who wants my money.

I enjoy the open trade of ideas but I still want one. If I have to ill whip end my poncho and weight test it but I'd like to buy a nicer hammock that's also a poncho.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you are really wanting this type of item, then consider a cape instead.
    • The poncho design would leave you with a premade hole directly under your torso (aka the heaviest part of your body) that when loaded would likely cause catastrophic failure the first time.
    • With a cape style instead the head covering could be sewn to a side seam and even form a pocket to store things in.

I'd probably go with something heavier than the typical 1.3 Silnylon just to increase it's wear resistance. Some 2.3 silnylon would be more durable in the long run.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Mikeinajeep, I admire your persistence. You've gotten at least a portion of the nay-sayers to take your quest seriously. Now you've got me thinking ....

Nope. (But don't give up; you may find something else worthwhile by accident. Some of my best ideas have been accidents. )

Images
    • The poncho design would leave you with a premade hole directly under your torso (aka the heaviest part of your body) that when loaded would likely cause catastrophic failure the first time.
    • With a cape style instead the head covering could be sewn to a side seam and even form a pocket to store things in.

I'd probably go with something heavier than the typical 1.3 Silnylon just to increase it's wear resistance. Some 2.3 silnylon would be more durable in the long run.
    Like Hennessy's cape poncho/tarp. Only yours would be a cape poncho/hammock. Why not buy some fabric, and find your nearest eamstress with dimensions to sew it? Your not going to get a cottage vendor to start making them for you, but you also might find someone here willing to sew one up for you for a charge.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/rainflys/

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Like Hennessy's cape poncho/tarp. Only yours would be a cape poncho/hammock. Why not buy some fabric, and find your nearest eamstress with dimensions to sew it? Your not going to get a cottage vendor to start making them for you, but you also might find someone here willing to sew one up for you for a charge.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/rainflys/

Exactly. The dimensions would likely make for a weirdly wide hammock, unless you figured out how to fold it into a double layer. And then you could just throw a CCF pad between the layers for insulation.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Challenge to ALL hammock makers

I think if you made a slit opening instead of a hole the stresses shouldn't cause the hammock to fail, like a Hennessy opening.

In the military they use ponchos for body bags all the time. This will work! Tonight I'm going to put a drum liner between the layers of my hammock and see how bad it is.

Keep the ideas coming!! So far I have not seen anything to change my mind or money!!
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Challenge to ALL hammock makers

The double layer I made doesn't have to be as tight as a typical sewn one, so the head hole is not stressed to gape open. I put small snaps on a flap, & it stays closed while hanging. It isn't perfect but sounds close. I wear a Tilley hat, so I did not venture into sewing a hood due to my limited skills. Man's gotta know his limitations!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast