Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Challenge to ALL hammock makers

I was walking my dog today when I realized that my poncho is made of the same thing as my hammock. So here's my challenge, I want a hammock poncho! There is a large pepper, hiker, motorcycle and basicly everybody else market for this. So you make it and I/we will buy it. A hammock with a neck hole and a hood or a poncho with openable whoopie ends.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    JacksrBetter has done that with their wearable poncho/quilts, where it makes more sense. Your rain poncho should be waterproof; your hammock should breathe.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    +1 WV.

Poncho/Tarp combo will work. Poncho/Hammock = sweaty.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Check out the Magna-Hammock thread in my signature line. I made a double layer hybrid that has a detachable lower layer that doubles as a poncho. I never got around to making pics of the head hole in the waterproof layer, but I did do it.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Grand Trunks has their hammock/tarp deal... But I am with WV in thinking that a water proof hammock is a terrible idea. Imagine getting a small amount of water dripping overnight... You'd wake up underwater.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    WV (as usual) has the right of it. Even waterproof/"breathable" fabrics are not ones I'd want against skin for sleep.

A poncho/undercover works really well, but I still wouldn't want to use one below 40* or so if I could avoid it. The amount of moisture trapped would outweigh the stormproofness you get from the undercover.

YMMV, though. If you come up with a waterproof hammock that doesn't turn into a pool of water by morning, please let us know!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    Check out the Magna-Hammock thread in my signature line. I made a double layer hybrid that has a detachable lower layer that doubles as a poncho. I never got around to making pics of the head hole in the waterproof layer, but I did do it.
    This is close to what I want. I don't agree that breathable is that important. All sorts of emergency shelters are not breathable and well not super comfy they are usable. The neck hole would let out any real water build up. But I think is an easy fix, my gortex bivy bag is both water proof and breathable.

Come on guys!!!! Less can't more can. I have three hammocks and three ponchos in my gear,, think of the weight and space savings.
    Carpe noctem!!

The only possibility that I can think of would be to use breathable cuben fiber. But I am not sure on the strength of the material, and the cost would be outrageous.

Having something that is not breathable would prove to be very limited in it's use, as far as seasons, temps, and climate as concerned. If it is not breathable it is a vapor barrier, and can prove to be more of a hassle if not used properly. Vapor barriers were not meant, nor should not be used all year long. Now if your intent is only to specific times, then that may be much more feasible.

The non-breathable hammocks have been tried before, SGT Rock made a cuben one, WV has made one, TeeDee has made one and many others so I would take their advise on the subject. They made posts on them, just do a search for it.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinajeep View Post
    This is close to what I want. I don't agree that breathable is that important. All sorts of emergency shelters are not breathable and well not super comfy they are usable. The neck hole would let out any real water build up. But I think is an easy fix, my gortex bivy bag is both water proof and breathable.

Come on guys!!!! Less can't more can. I have three hammocks and three ponchos in my gear,, think of the weight and space savings.
    I slept in 34* weather last weekend and had zero condensation. I did not sleep directly on the new silnylon layer, though. I had a sunshield under me and it was bone dry in the morning.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY

Just think, no getting up to relieve yourself! Kidding aside, the stresses under your rump would likely be too great, and let you down, wrecking two items in one fail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast