Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

WBRR,JRBUQ, a VB, an accidental movie on beautiful day!

OK guys, I have a good laugh for you, my first video! And it was a total accident! I was trying to get some pics of my WBRR/JRB MW3 UQ (short) and the camera suddenly stopped functioning. Every time I pushed the Apple iPhone 5 camera button it would beep/ding and not take a picture. I finally decided that maybe it was recording so I just let it go and walked around camp for a minute or two. At some point, I escaped the sun's glare and was able to see what was probably a photo/video button, which I had some how pushed into video while trying to get some pics while laying in the hammock. So here it is for a good chuckle, and an example of total incompetence in the iPhone video world! I had to figure out how to get the video from my iPhone to my Win 7 PC, and once I did, it was upside down! So had to figure that out. Also had to go from there and figure out about how to join and post to Youtube and found Shug's video about how to get it from YT over to HF. Maybe it will work? Have not been able to figure out how to add captions yet.

Now back to the originally planned post about the other days experiences. I wanted to play with my WBRR and some trees rather than my stand, and experiment more with my UQ with this hammock, and do some map and compass work. It was only about 50-57 that afternoon, but it felt surprisingly cold with wind chill. So I put mt VB shirt on under my long sleeve cotton shirt and headed out with a pack holding two bridge hammocks, foam pillow, water, kindle, GPS, etc. Practicing all along the way checking landscape against topo and compass settings. Lots of fun!

So I hiked through the woods, never saw a soul except a father and young son in the distance on dirt bikes. I hiked about 1 1/2 miles mostly down hill about 100 feet to a lake. Under bright, sunny, blue skies, just beautiful. I must have scared up 10 different deer, white tales just a waving goodbye to me. I felt just about right temp wise, no longer cold with the VB shirt on under the cotton shirt. I felt like I might be on the verge of sweating, but if I was I couldn't tell it. Then I set up my hammock by the lake.

Once again, I found a couple of trees that seemed plenty far apart, but turned out to be just barely far enough apart to set up the RR. Experimented some with tension. It is a wonderful thing to have trees with this hammock as opposed to my Vario stand. So far with my stand, I think due to so much stand flex, I can not get as comy on my side in this hammock as I can in my JRB bridges. This is much improved hanging from trees, though I still have not decided if it is quite as comfy in my waist area ( on my side ) as are my two JRBs. But it is much closer, very close. And flat on my back it is 2nd to none, and maybe 1st. And I am not even using the full length head end bar.

And I was surprised: in the high 50s with significant wind, I did not seem to even need the UQ while using the VB shirt! I was qite comfy and warm enogh laying there watching the birds fly over and reading on my Kindle. It was so nice laying in it by that lake that it is hard to over praise it.

It was windy enough to interfere with pics, whipping the hammock around, so I had to put my pack in it to steady the hammock for pics:

This suspension set up for the JRB UQ seems to result in a perfect gap free foot head to knees, with a good seal on the ends and sides! Does this look warm or what? :

I heard a lot of weird noises while hanging and reading way out in the woods towards an abandoned church cemetery across the lake! Reminded me some of Elk whistling, but deer don't make noises like that do they? Wonder what it was?

I'll be back tomorrow with the results of the VB on the hike out, out of time right now!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks for sharing your accidental footage. Looked like a fine day weatherwise but also a fine day since you were having fun in the woods.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks for posting. Your accidental footage is nicer than many of the planned videos I've seen.

The crossed foot end UQ suspension is one I hadn't thought of, but will be trying.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Nice accident, make some more mistakes please

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for sharing BillyBob. This hammock camping thing has taken me back to my childhood as your video has done. I remember hanging out in the woods and building forts and looking for secret lakes and whatnot.

P.S. my wife don't get it.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Nice vid and pics BillyBob. Watch out for those old Civil War cemeteries. They're all haunted

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Thanks for sharing your accidental footage. Looked like a fine day weatherwise but also a fine day since you were having fun in the woods.
    It was a beauty alright, after a lot of overcast/cold/rain all winter! And again, after the first 5 minutes of hiking, I never saw another soul the entire hike or hang! Just the sound of the wind in the trees, ducks quacking on the lake, and whatever was making weird sounds out in the woods!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Nice accident, make some more mistakes please
    Thanks for the gentle words MM and every one! I will be trying to make some more, now that I finally did the first one. I'm going to have to get a tripod adapter, and maybe one of those hiking pole thingies, for an iPhone. And figure out how do do captions and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Thanks for sharing BillyBob. This hammock camping thing has taken me back to my childhood as your video has done. I remember hanging out in the woods and building forts and looking for secret lakes and whatnot.

P.S. my wife don't get it.
    I know, I loved to roam the GA woods as a kid, and I still feel that way at 64. I often can not make myself get up and get out there, but I always love it when I do, it always rejuvenates me.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Thanks for posting. Your accidental footage is nicer than many of the planned videos I've seen.

The crossed foot end UQ suspension is one I hadn't thought of, but will be trying.
    Many thanks, GMCTTR. More about that suspension, and to finish up on last nights post:

I have been experimenting with this cross over foot end suspension on "short" JRBMW3 on the WBRR bridge hammock. It seems to be working in a most excellent fashion. I have also done it with the suspension cords running straight running straight, and that works also, but this crossover actually seems to be working better than anything else I have tried. Other than just the custom fit I get by hanging the MWs from the loops on original JRB BMBH, but honestly my early impressions are that this is at least as good as that, which is too say: mighty good! In the UQ world, for me matched only by a Peapod. And I already sense a secondary benefit: my TQ lower half will be under those pieces of shock cord, helping to keep the UQ in place if I am not using the net. We will see!

And one more apparent benefit: Even though they are usually snug against my back and legs, I often have a gap, tiny or large, on the sides with my bridge hammocks. Indeed, so far my attempts to use this UQ full length on this hammock and my JRB UL have resulted in some pretty huge side gaps, which I would prefer not to have. ( more tinkering required) But using the short part of a JRB convertible, I have little gap, and virtually none with this crossover suspension approach:

[QUOTE]Slo: Nice vid and pics BillyBob. Watch out for those old Civil War cemeteries. They're all haunted [/QUOTE
    Thx, Slo, and I think it might be the spirits from the cemetery making all those funny noises in the woods!

OK, it was time to pack up, the owls were starting to hoot, and some strange sounding animal in the woods was about to attack me, so time to get out of Dodge. So in the next post I will comment on the VB clothing.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-14-2013 at 14:45.

Thx, Slo, and I think it might be the spirits from the cemetery making all those funny noises in the woods!

Must've been those Rebel Yell's you heard!

Images
    So on the hike back out, I was making better time because I had "tarried" and it was getting late. And it was all uphill. So this time I went from being almost warm enough to sweat under the cotton short and VB shirt, to definitely sweating. Again, it was in the mid 50s with a light pack.

Now, since I was very obviously warm, I clearly should have removed the outer layer/cotton shirt, or maybe even the VB instead. But I was here to test VBs, and in a big hurry, and didn't much care how much I sweated as I would soon be home and cleaning up. All I did was unbutton the cotton shirt and unzip the VB down to about mid belly, hoping for enough ventilation. AKA hiking "Elvis style", as Elvis was born just a few miles from here. Still produced a good bit of sweat, however. But in all fairness, it's not like I have not soaked many a cotton shirt while hiking "fast" ( for me ) with a light pack up a slightly steep hill, on a sunny 57F day. So no surprise that I sweated a lot with the VB on.

When I got to the truck, I zipped up to keep anything from drying out, and turned the truck's AC on. When I got home, I got my scales and then removed the cotton shirt. My wife commented that I looked pretty wet, she could see the moisture under the VB. But the cotton shirt felt bone dry, and weighed 15 oz ( did not know it's pre-hike weight). The VB shirt, when removed, did not seem as wet as it felt on me, and had gained about 1 oz weight from it's original 7 oz. Of course, my skin was pretty damp. After I dried off I put the dry cotton shirt back on, in case I had gotten it wet even though it did not feel wet. I planned to weigh it a few hours later to see ifit had dried out from body heat.

This was a big surprise: after a few hours the shirt weight had gone up by an oz, as much as the VB shirt increased after I definitely put some sweat in it. I weighed it several times, before and after wearing it several hours, and it was always 15 oz before and 16 oz after. After hanging up a couple of hours, still 16 oz. After hanging until this afternoon, back to 15 oz.

Do you suppose that, even just sitting around indoors eating and watching TV or reading, that cotton shirt could absorb enough body moisture - even though I was completely unaware of any heating up or sweat - that it could be measured? If so, imagine hiking in cotton. Except with a VB, which kept all moisture out of the shirt.

The other surprise was that I was able to lay around in a very breezy mid 50s and not have an uncomfortably cold back, before I put the quilt on. I'm pretty sure when I have done this before, every little breeze was very much felt on my back. Not pleasant! This makes me think that some evaporative cooling must be going on at those temps especially in a breeze.

OK, I guess that is it!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-14-2013 at 17:31.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post

Must've been those Rebel Yell's you heard!
    No, that was me doing the Rebel yells, trying to scare off the spirits! I don't know what kind of crazy noise they were making!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast