Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Carabiner/webbing
    Images

Simple Climashield Apex 6 oz underquilt

Having made my first underquilt recently with the insulation being regular 5 oz polyester batting and finding it a bit narrow and also not warm enough for my tastes, I decided to invest in some real insulation and bought up some Climashield Apex 6 oz and got to work.

I made a very simple 48 x 60 underquilt. I sandwiched the Apex between two layers of 1.1 ripstop and sewed the edges. Then I created my own binding material by taking strips of ripstop and sewing a hem to make them tubular. Then I placed the seam side against the edge of the quilt and sewed the channel and binding all in one over the edges. This being the quickest easiest method (for me).

I decided to go with the full 48 x 60 inches without sewing a hem because I wanted the full length of the fabric. Using the additional fabric binder added a few hours to the project but the results are less material being wasted and a bigger size quilt with more insulation being put to use rather than scrunched down due to hemming the edges like I've seen how other underquilts are done.

Last year I invested heavily in Big Agnes gear. So I need to keep using some of it and so I have the Mystic SL sleeping bag I highly recommend this bag to anyone who's not hammocking. It's the best **** bag in the world in my opinion. Warm warm warm and snuggly and comfy and it's not heavy. Of course it being a Big Agnes down bag it has no insulation on the bottom. Instead it has the channel you slide your mattress pad into.

Well this works fine for tenting, but in the hammock the mattress has to be really deflated to make it comfortable and then you lose your insulation on your butt but you get it in the toes.

Well I'm not quite dialed in yet. But I'm working on this tonight because I have another 3 day weekend coming up and need to be prepared since I'll be out in the wilderness again. I plan to take a small piece of closed cell foam, the size of the overhang not insulated by the underquilt, and use some more Climashield Apex 6 oz insulation and sandwich that together.. like 20" x 15". And then put velcro on the edge and inside of my Big Agnes Mystic the mating velcro, and then it will stay positioned and my feet can flop over however and I'll be warm and toasty like how I like to be. That's the plan.

Here's a few photos. The first is the quilt in the middle of the binding. I have two edges bound here and two waiting to be. Second photo is how it looks set up last weekend at Turkey Springs Camp in the Silver Peak Wilderness in Big Sur.

And oh, how warm is this? Well I read a post earlier tonight some guy made a quilt out of two layers of Apex 5 oz, now I don't know where he got 5 oz from but maybe that was a typo. Anyway, he reported his was way too warm at 55 degrees. Well, mine doesn't get hot. It doesn't get cold either. It is that Goldylocks "just right". I've also hung in the warm afternoon sun and no overheating however it is warm to the point of coaxing me to nap like a baby. My first hanging it was low 30's and very windy with Arctic winds coming straight down the mountain tops. In the morning there was frost on much of the undergrowth, and I woke up with a lot of condensation on the top of my bag due to rain the day before. And, excepting my legs where the Mystic SL has no insulation and that overhung the hammock without the underquilt I was warm as can be. And because I didn't have to rely on the inflatable mattress for the Mystic SL, I had the luxury to turn sideways and sleep in the fetal position since I needed a way to keep my lower leg warm. It was so comfortable!! I think I made the right choice with 6 oz on my first quilt. It rarely ever gets below freezing in Big Sur and that's where I spend all my time. This might wind up being a 4 season quilt for me, but if it's too warm I can always make another with the 4 oz Apex or I think they even have a lighter one than that.

How does it compress? Not as well as down. But darn near close when you employ the help of a compression sack. Maybe I need to take more photos and elaborate on that part later.

So far I'm sold on the Apex! I'm going to make a top quilt next! I could do that now but I don't want to use the ripstop I have currently for that. And haven't placed my order for the new fabric yet. But I believe this is the proper weight/thickness and material. I am going to call this quilt a superlight. Not an ultralight but definitely a superlight. Most everything in my pack is superlight or ultralight. Take away the insulated mattress which is heavier than this quilt and I'm bumping up a little in volume but decreasing my weight. It's a great trade-off for me as I also carry bushwhacking materials and photography equipment generally when I go out every weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BigSur; 03-14-2013 at 00:44. Reason: clarification
    the meek will inherit the earth!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    Nice work.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Nice work indeed Perry. I like the straight forward approach to it and it does exactly what you designed it to do.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Excellent work, and thanks for the report about it.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    How much was your material cost. I'm seriously interested in making one of these soon...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Carabiner/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    How much was your material cost. I'm seriously interested in making one of these soon...
    Let's see.. I didn't exactly count how much fabric I used but I can do this roughly.. 48 x 60 x 2 (main sandwich layers) + 24 x 60 (binding fabric strips), so it looks like 10 linear feet or say 4 yards of fabric and you'll be left with a large strip for making a stuff sack! The Climashield Apex in 6 oz weight runs $18.95 a yard over at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html. You'll need 2 yards for that and you'll have a lot left over.

It's my guess you could do this project for about $60 as you'll also need shock chord and a few pieces of plastic hardware.

Cheers!
    Last edited by BigSur; 03-19-2013 at 10:43. Reason: math!

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&amp;t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&amp;cinch buckles
    Images
    Good looking u.q.!! i have nothing but good things to say about the APEX. its warm, light, and compresses really well for synthetic!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Carabiner/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vwgerald View Post
    Good looking u.q.!! i have nothing but good things to say about the APEX. its warm, light, and compresses really well for synthetic!
    Thanks! I agree now on all three assessments, warm, light and compresses. I come back after a successful weekend hanging without any pad or insulation under my Big Agnes Mystic SL sleeping bag except for the foot box region where I made a small Apex quilt to stuff inside the bag. I have one piece of velcro inside to tack the quilt in place but that's not enough. So I used a few small clothes pins to keep it positioned so it doesn't shift around and tried that out and it worked excellently. I meant to take some photos of my setup under a small cluster of Monterey Cypress trees where the trees were too close to hang between so I had to hang one end from a fat trunk and another end from a low branch but I guess I didn't take any photos of that. Anyway, the Apex is really good stuff and it still works even compressed! I mean it has some actual insulating qualities even when compressed and that's kind of hard for down to make that claim I think. I mean I haven't tested it with equipment but like if I lay on my Mystic bag sideways and my elbow pokes on the side of the bag and hits the ground, the down separates a little and the elbow gets cold almost instantly. The Apex doesn't do this! It has a little thickness to it even when it's compressed. And after I've been compressing and decompressing and compressing and decompressing more and more, the more resilient it gets I think. If I were to buy a fancy schmancy compression sack I'm sure I could compress this down to smaller than a soccer ball in size because I can do that for a few seconds with my chest muscles and then have to let go

• + New Posts