11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Wow! That picture is absolutely crazy! Being a mid-Atlantic guy, we don't get much in the way of shaking. The one that I have experienced was...intersting. We don't look like a tea kettle ready to explode though.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps
    How interesting! If you do locate other pictures I would love to see them. As a young child my family went on a two week trip by truck & camper from our home (Kentucky) to Yellow Stone National Park. That trip is something I will always cherish and appreciate. All of the hot springs, geysers, mud pots and such amazed me! They still do.
    Your backyard view is really nice.

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY also
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    slap straps pro
    Images

Earthquake in a Hammock

Being an east coast guy, the most I've done is survive the outskirts of a hurricane.

We has a 3 or 4 hit here a couple years ago. I swore it was just the HVAC unit having issues in the wing of the school I work in.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by rcurry View Post
    How interesting! If you do locate other pictures I would love to see them. As a young child my family went on a two week trip by truck & camper from our home (Kentucky) to Yellow Stone National Park. That trip is something I will always cherish and appreciate. All of the hot springs, geysers, mud pots and such amazed me! They still do.
    Your backyard view is really nice.
    I'm a amateur photographer. Even with Lightroom to organize my pictures, (Well over 25,000) I don't take the time to tag them, or name them. I still have many of my pics over in Picasa. I think this is from the original that I cropped and put it on my Facebook Page. It was also taken on my small 4 megs Cannon Point & Shoot. I now have more high end gear, so hopefully before I move in 2014, we can get some heavy rainfall & a 4.0. In the picture I posted, it was a 4.0. Man, I would love to see it with a 5.0.

It's great having no one behind me. It's those who live to the sides & across the street who destroy the view.

This area is full of Hot Springs. The biggest and most well known is about 2 1/2 miles from my place. Harbin Hot Springs. I'm there on a weekly basis.

The steam plume on the right side in front is probably a well-head. The other plumes, with a broad base, are the drift from the cooling towers. [You ain't been miserable until you've worked on a cooling tower at The Geysers in the winter.]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I'm sure if I was already asleep, I wouldn't have woken up at all. Well unless the bolts broke loose from the walls.

The area I live in is hit by earth quakes all the time. Due to the Geysers which supply all the electric from here to Oregon. The lava bed is only 5 miles from the surface. They pour grey water down into the lava, and steams pours out and turns these giant turbines. When a earthquake hits and if we've had a big rain season, the mountain are full of water, steam comes flying out of the cracks.

Here's a picture from my back yard of about 10 going off. I have one where there's about 20, but I can't find it right at the moment.

That is a really cool picture!
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cardo View Post
    The steam plume on the right side in front is probably a well-head. The other plumes, with a broad base, are the drift from the cooling towers. [You ain't been miserable until you've worked on a cooling tower at The Geysers in the winter.]
    The one in the middle is the Geyser that shoots off steam all the time. There are a few others right near there as well. The most I've seen in 3 yrs from my place is 1 big one and 2 small ones which are part of the plant.

When the 4.0 hit, I took the pictures about 10 to 15 mins after the quake if my memory serves me correctly. We walked down to the edge of the field to get a better view, and you could see columns of steam all the way over toward Mt Saint Helena.

We get the electric cut off here all the time. What cracks me up is that the main Turbine is only about 3 miles from my house and can be seen in the picture. I've thought about getting one long extension cord and running that sucker up there and plugging it in.

Hammock
    TW Camo Hornet Super XL
    Tarp
    "DIY" Frankentarp
    Insulation
    Exped DM 7 LW
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Wow! Impressive photo, Sir!
    I live in Sweden, and in my county we had a 2,5 a couple months ago wich is pretty much unheard of since we're on bedrock. The quake was 12 miles below the surface, and the scientists are scratching their heads as to how it's possible. People still talk about it more or less on a daily basis, guess we would've all had severe traumas if a 4 struck...
    Holy cow

Thanks for sharing!
    People on this forum are absolutely incredible. I wish we could discover new land and inhabit it all together. :-) - Deadphans

Hammock
    DIY CWH
    Tarp
    DIY CWH
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Web/ buckles/rings
    Images
    Crazy Pic. Mother Nature at her finest!!!!!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Earthquake in a Hammock

That's just crazy... Don't plug into a substation... 138 thousand volts, does crazy things when it hits a small gauge line... Just take the word of a power plant worker...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12