Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images

MIL poncho liner as underquilt

I recently saw a pic of someone using a mil poncho liner as an underquilt. I was wondering what the expected temp rating for this would be, weight, bulk of liner etc.
    Has anyone used this successfully as a late spring early fall substitute for either pad or JRB? My concern is that I already have a pad setup with SPE that works well, but is a pain in the rear compared to an underquilt solution. I am looking for a lightweight alternative to warmer weather hanging where the JRB might be too much. Generally I am very comfy down to the 30's with just a pad/SPE combo so while warmth is a concern, i am more inclined to a lightweight/compact replacement.

Cheers, thanks

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    ps, i have been calling all the local laundermats for abandonned down comforters in hope of making a KAQ/underquilt soon, haven't had much luck yet really, people keep telling me to call later and ask for a manager....

another thought while im here.... anyone have any luck using vacuums to suck out down and "bag it"? JJ has a great video of how to use a vacuum and noseeum to transfer down, but to harvest it from old stuff i would only want to be bagging it at that point. theoretically i could bag it right into the vacuum bag (i use the cloth hepa ones)

hehehe this is fun

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    I recently saw a pic of someone using a mil poncho liner as an underquilt. I was wondering what the expected temp rating for this would be, weight, bulk of liner etc.
    Has anyone used this successfully as a late spring early fall substitute for either pad or JRB? My concern is that I already have a pad setup with SPE that works well, but is a pain in the rear compared to an underquilt solution. I am looking for a lightweight alternative to warmer weather hanging where the JRB might be too much. Generally I am very comfy down to the 30's with just a pad/SPE combo so while warmth is a concern, i am more inclined to a lightweight/compact replacement.

Cheers, thanks
    For me, if it was warm enough that I could get by with a poncho liner underneath, I could just as easily make do with nothing underneath at all. I do use a poncho liner on top on warm weather though.

If you want something pretty cheap for warmer weather and can sew, try making a KAQ with only one layer of insulation.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Poncho liner, Gi issue weighs 21.5 oz and will be fair to 55-60 degrees.

JRB Stealth is 14.5 oz and is good to about 45 degrees... ymmv.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    true, but the liner is 15$, that helps.
    i would def. rather buy a JRB though....

i am going to try to make a KAQ but have yet to decide on synthetic or down.
    any suggestions as for which is more versatile in fair weather?

I just finished sewing a mil-spec liner into a quilt with foot box... first I sewed a light-colored sheet of ripstop nylon onto the liner... haven't had time to test it yet... but will definately get plenty of opportunities to so... I leave tomorrow to start mt AT thru-hike!!!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have one of the thinsulate GI poncho liner underquilts that I trimed to the KAQ dimensions, created the darts and hems for the shock cord adjustments just like on Patricks how to site. It weighs 18 oz and I'm comfortable in my HHULB to about 55 degrees with it. Juat add clothes for a little more warmth. Not as nice or as warm as a JRB or KAQ underquilt but it does work for me. On my last trip I used it in combination with a 3/8" CCF pad in a SPE down to 24 degrees.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    south - im encouraged to see that you can get down to that temp with the combo i was looking at - i already use the pad and spe, and while it is not as user friendly as just a quilt, it works well for cold temps.
    good work

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 fingers View Post
    I just finished sewing a mil-spec liner into a quilt with foot box... first I sewed a light-colored sheet of ripstop nylon onto the liner... haven't had time to test it yet... but will definately get plenty of opportunities to so... I leave tomorrow to start mt AT thru-hike!!!
    2 Finger,

Good luck.... HYOH....hyoh (hang your own hammock)

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    true, but the liner is 15$, that helps.
    i would def. rather buy a JRB though....

i am going to try to make a KAQ but have yet to decide on synthetic or down.
    any suggestions as for which is more versatile in fair weather?
    IMO they both have their advantages and disadvantages. For most applications I think they come out pretty even, except for cost.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast