Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit

Hop, Skip and a Jump Away

I FINALLY DID IT!

For the past week I've been dying to get the hammock setup and today was the day! *pats herself on the back* I suppose I could have set my hammock up behind the house, but that just didn't seem right. I wanted my first time in a hammock to be... an event... of sorts.

Yesterday I decided I needed to scout a bit. I've walked our acreage many times before, but never looking for hammock appropriate trees. After making the circuit around the lake and finding a couple possible locations I started up the, mostly empty, creek that feeds the lake. The creeks are down in a pretty hefty valley and I'd forgotten just how steep the sides were and was about to head back when suddenly I saw it. After walking in 200 or so feet I found THE spot.

Even though I'd not planned on anything but scouting, I found myself clearing out brush, leaves and those ornery ankle-twisting rocks for a proper camp site and in the hopes that when it warms up I might cut down on the ticks and chiggers a smidgen. (wishful thinking, I know) There's room for 3 hammocks (gotta have room for the kids, right?) on the hillside, close together, and a flat spot right next to the creek for a couple of seats around a fire pit.

After spending several hours at the site I lamented the fact I'd not brought my hammock. Oh well, I'll just have to come back tomorrow! And I did, with The Girl Child and dog in tow. Actually, I think The Girl Child had me in tow.

We reach the site and I immediately pick out a pair of trees while the kiddo goes to play in the creek bed. I pull a tree strap out of my stuff sack and I suddenly hear Shug, "On the knot, not the toggle." This becomes my mantra for the next 10-15 minutes as I set up, adjust, readjust and readjust my readjustments.

The moment has arrived. My suspension seems to be in order, the sag looks good, I think I have enough clearance between the hammock and the steep hillside, no heinously jagged rocks or limbs for me to seriously damage myself on should I have put something on a toggle somewhere and not the appropriate knot.

I breath deep and slowly lower myself into the hammock. I hear the suspension start to tighten and I immediately check the knots... again. I'm in the hammock, I've not fallen and the suspension has stopped creaking. I exhale, swing my feet around, lean back and realize I will never again sleep on the ground... and I forgot my camera.

Since I'm a dork and have no pictures of my momentous occasion, the scenery or the campsite, Google Maps will just have to do until I get back down there to snap a few pics. Although, right now most everything is fairly brown.

A & B are the houses on what we affectionately call "The Compound". Everything to the right of the houses is downhill until you reach the creek or lake, then of course it's all uphill. Just past the ridgeline on the right is a neighbor's house, but from the camp you can't see anything but trees, hillside and a glimpse of the lake. This is my new happy place.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Nice. A little jealous.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Sometimes you don't need a camera. You just painted a pretty awesome word picture there.

Have fun in your new retreat!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Hop, Skip and a Jump Away

Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Sometimes you don't need a camera. You just painted a pretty awesome word picture there.
    My sentiments exactly! Your lens is much better than the camera's, in this case. I could hear the suspension creaking and was holding MY breath!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Laying there in the hammock I chuckled as I thought, "If there's not pictures, it didn't happen." About 5 minutes later I had to laugh again as I experienced CBS for the first time and wished I'd not only brought my camera, but also one of the foam pads I left rolled up in my living room.

It was all sort of comical. I'm a do-your-homework kind of gal, so I try to read what I can to make the switch from ground/car camping to lighter weight (eventually true UL) backpacking as seamless as possible. But when I experience something I've only read about here in the forums I have to smile. It's always an, "Ah ha! So THAT'S what they're talking about!" moment.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You just welcomed yourself into the world of experimentation. Have fun and enjoy. Nice posting of your first choice of hang spots that will always have a special meaning to you. Let the fun begin!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Thanks for the beautifully written post. Looks like an excellent spot for creating many unforgettable family memories. Looking forward to seeing your continuing adventures.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washinton3
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle
    Nice thanks for sharing

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Congratulations on your first case of CBS! I agree with Sturgeon and MAD777, you did a lovely job of describing your experience. I call moving from squatting to relaxing, the "Let Go and Let God" moment (a little tongue in cheek church humor)

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nice thoughtful report! Photos wouldn't have told the story as well (though I like the way you added ridgelines to the map pic). I found myself thinking that "FBG" must stand for "first-born girl" - I'm married to one, and I have older sisters.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast