Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    great info here, thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Well... I finally got the chance to play with the Super shelter outside... Now I can finish up my vid on that baby. I was quite pleased and impressed with it.

My gear:
    Balaclava
    hoodie sweatshirt
    lightweight polypro shirt/pants
    normal socks

0* cheap coleman sleeping bag

Heat Sheet
    Super shelter

I got down to 12* although I would not have wanted to go any lower in that setup I called it a hang after about 3 hours. The issues had less to do with being cold and more to do with other issues I have to deal with. .. like noisy neighbors and ambient lights from the highrise next door.

That system works pretty darn good I think.
    I must have missed this post. To make sure I am understanding you: all you used was the basic SS underneath? The one pad and a Heat Sheet, and you were OK at 12*F? No kidney/torso pads or clothing added to the UC or on top of the standard OCF pad?

If that is correct, those results are most impressive. It would be impressive if you used added kidney pads or clothing. It is enough to make you wonder why any one who is happy with a HH would bother with any thing else. Though I realize that some folks have great success with the SS while some others have more problems, especially with condensation issues.

I think probably I was the original ( or nearly so ) promoter of the SS at these forums. It seemed I was nearly the only one using one, compared to down UQs, pads or Pea Pods. I hated min at first but kept working with it ( because I had already bought it!) and it worked out fine, and I learned lots of easy tricks to use it at way colder temps. But I don't think I was ever able to use just the basic set up at 12*F and still be warm enough. Hi 20s pushed the limits for me, then I had to start adding stuff, usually easy to do. So you and the Canadians and MN boys and a couple of others impress me! If you actually added nothing under you, that is actually a lot better than TH advertises.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    BB58... No torso or kidney pads. Didn't have them although I do now. I like the system and advocate for it. It has served me well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I must be a real cold sleeper. Use the HH ocf, space blanket & WS2(in place of the the HH uc) only for cool summer nights. Once it drops into the 40*F range changed over to the MW4. Which was major overkill. Sleep in light weight base layer and if needed hat or hood.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    The Blackbird of Happiness
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS, Heat sheet
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I think probably I was the original ( or nearly so ) promoter of the SS at these forums. It seemed I was nearly the only one using one, compared to down UQs, pads or Pea Pods. I hated min at first but kept working with it ( because I had already bought it!) and it worked out fine, and I learned lots of easy tricks to use it at way colder temps. But I don't think I was ever able to use just the basic set up at 12*F and still be warm enough. Hi 20s pushed the limits for me, then I had to start adding stuff, usually easy to do. So you and the Canadians and MN boys and a couple of others impress me! If you actually added nothing under you, that is actually a lot better than TH advertises.
    Can you share some of those easy tricks please? I've just bought the SS and am a bit nervous about using it.
    Kerri

How hard is entry and exit using the supershelter?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Can you share some of those easy tricks please? I've just bought the SS and am a bit nervous about using it.
    The main thing first off is to learn to correctly set up and use it. Not really hard at all, but maybe a bit counter-intuitive. For example, my 1st night in a SS, I placed my Therma rest pad in the Under-cover(UC), for a little extra warmth. I ended up freezing, because the heavy pad caused the UC to sag down causing a gap, into which cold air rushed.

So 1st of all, just adjust it per HH directions. Which for mine means set up HH tarp per HH directions. Then, attache your UC and OCF pad to the same prussick hooks that the tarp attaches to, and you should be about set. Set up may be different for some ( but not all) newer ones, using mitten hooks separate from the tarp hooks. I don't know how those are adjusted or set up. It actually is a "Snugfit" type of system. The elastic harness/suspension is meant to keep the pad and space blanket firmly in contact with your back. But there seems to be enough give in the harness that, even when firmly against your back, the pad will not compress.

2nd ( very close 2nd in importance) get and USE THE DARN SPACE BLANKET or equivalent! ON TOP of the HH OCF pad and under the hammock. Better yet, get a Heat Sheet type space blanket. Either will cost just a few $ and weigh just a couple of oz. For me at least, except in very warm ( above 50*) weather, this system just won't work without the space blanket. It mainly functions as a vapor barrier(VB), to keep moisture out of your HH OCF pad and sil-nylon UC. With out it, things tend to get pretty wet in the UC. It may also function as a radiant heat barrier. Whatever, it seems to cause a major warmth boost for very little weight and cost.

That should get you through most nights in the 40s or maybe even a lot colder. Some are OK- with nothing else- to the 20s or even below, but not me so far.

For more warmth, I love the little kidney/torso pads that HH has. Or you can put things like very light weight clothing on top of the HH pad. Things like pile balaclavas, socks- anything not heavy enough to cause the pad to gap away from your back. But down may compress too much to be very useful. TeeDee used to add thin, light and very flexible Gossamer Gear CCF pads on top of the pads for a BIG boost in warmth. Be REAL careful with this, though. Most pads are too heavy and not flexible enough to go either on the HH pad or down into the UC.

Next, put a down vest or jacket or any other clothing ( or fleece) under the pad, down in the UC. Most any thing will help, as long as it isn't too heavy and inflexible. If you have down, you MIGHT want to experiment with a looser UC hang, to avoid compressing the down. But, whatever you use, don't let it force the UC down too far away from your body, causing a cold gap.

Do a search for "Garlington Insulator". These are cheap and light and work perfectly down in the UC for a major warmth boost.

But mostly you should do fine with the basic system most of the year.

Good luck and have fun!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    How hard is entry and exit using the supershelter?
    Once I got used to it, it was all about the same, no real dif with or without at entry or exit. Can be a little confusing at first for us slower folks(like me), what with two layers of nylon plus the pad. But after that it is all automatic.

Thanks Billy Bob, you've almost convinced me to give the SS a go.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have been warmer in my super shelter than using my underquilts... although an important caveat is required... My underquilts are all diy and synthetic. Thus they are very heavy and sag from the hammock from their own weight. I am a very pleased advocate for the system and I have found Kurt's backpack gear test reveiw to be very accurate and reliable. While I am not sure I would willingly want to go out in the -23 * F temps he managed I am confident that I have a full 4 season sleep shelter for less than the cost of the finest underquilts. Please note.... I do not disparage the underquilts available in the least. Given the cash flow I might have some. But I am convinced of the cost effectiveness of the Super Shelter for the HH system. The space blanket (Heat sheet in my case) is a must in order for the system to work effectively.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast