Hammock
    The Blackbird of Happiness
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS, Heat sheet
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Great! Magnificent! Thanks Billy Bob - that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for! I'd got so confused reading all the forums here but no it seems a lot clearer and I'm actually looking forward to sleeping out in the cold.

Thanks again,
    Kerri

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Thanks Billy Bob, you've almost convinced me to give the SS a go.
    Well, I use all the dif methods and see pros and cons with all of the systems. I don't really want to convince any one, mainly because there have been some folks over the last few years who either simply much preferred( after trying both) down quilts, and even one or two who actually strongly disliked the SS. And when it is really cold outside, it has seemed awful easy and comfortable for me to just use my down MWUQ or Pea Pod.

So it seems to be an individual deal, and folks do vary. But all I've ever said was that the SS does have it's good points. And I have been mighty impressed by RRev's and Kwpapke's and certain Canadian's( Toddkmiller) results, who have gone far beyond my results. Though my results were good enough.

But if you don't use the HH, and that is a lot folks here, then it is probably all a moot point.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-07-2009 at 16:57.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I have been warmer in my super shelter than using my underquilts... although an important caveat is required... My underquilts are all diy and synthetic. Thus they are very heavy and sag from the hammock from their own weight. ....I am confident that I have a full 4 season sleep shelter for less than the cost of the finest underquilts. Please note.... I do not disparage the underquilts available in the least. Given the cash flow I might have some. But I am convinced of the cost effectiveness of the Super Shelter for the HH system. The space blanket (Heat sheet in my case) is a must in order for the system to work effectively.
    I think that is an important caveat. I also think the same caution is needed when comparing a mummy sleeping bag used as a quilt( and maybe ending up having to get in the bag) vs a quilt designed from the get go to be used as a quilt.

As much as I like the SS, my experience has been somewhat different. I have had an easier time of keeping warm below 25*F with my JRB MWUQ or Pea Pod. Especially as I get near 10*F. If I get much below 30*F with the SS, I tend to need to start pulling some of those tricks out of the bag. My experience pretty well lines up with what TH says at the HH website. So I have been warmer without having to add to the system, things compress down smaller, maybe it's lighter for the amount of warmth, etc. So there are some real advantages to the well designed UQs, at least for me so far, at least at really low temps.

But the SS has it's own advantages, not the least of which is, as you say, price. My favorite thing by far about it is the built in extra wind and rain block from the sil-nylon UC. But so far I have not been able to match your temps(12*F?) with the basic system, or especially the Canadian Toddkmiller ( -13*F! ). This just amazes me. I believe y'all, but it is hard for me to picture me doing even below 20*F without adding stuff to the UC. Not that I have a problem doing that, it is a strength of the system. But I am good to go well below 20*F with a PeaPod or MWUQ, and they pack pretty small, so for many they will be worth the money. Got to go.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm new to all this and have only used a SS with a HH. I'm a cold sleeper but have been comfortable down to the mid-30's using a +20 degree mummy bag and the SS with a heat sheet.

Has anyone tried using something other than the Hennessy OCF pad underneath. Seems like the silnylon undercover could do a nice job of holding some sort of home made insulation in place. Like take a down or synthetic sleeping bag and mod it to be shaped and attached like Hennessy pad.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I would consider putting one of my DIY underquilts on the outside of the super shelter under cover. I would put it inside for concern about condensation. But I would only put the uq on if I was looking at seriously cold temps now that I have the torso and kidney pads.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I'm new to all this and have only used a SS with a HH. I'm a cold sleeper but have been comfortable down to the mid-30's using a +20 degree mummy bag and the SS with a heat sheet.

Has anyone tried using something other than the Hennessy OCF pad underneath. Seems like the silnylon undercover could do a nice job of holding some sort of home made insulation in place. Like take a down or synthetic sleeping bag and mod it to be shaped and attached like Hennessy pad.
    You can't place insulation between an outer sil cover and yourself. You might get by with it for a while using the heat sheet or a space blanket, but eventually you'll have soggy insulation from insensible perspiration.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    You can't place insulation between an outer sil cover and yourself. You might get by with it for a while using the heat sheet or a space blanket, but eventually you'll have soggy insulation from insensible perspiration.
    You can _IF_ you use the vapor barrier heat sheet properly. It does present some long term risk but plenty of folks here have done it for a couple nights. HH even suggests it as an option with the proper vapor barrier protection for the added degree boost over a night or two. I would not want to do it for any great length of time without being able to ensure I could dry everything out properly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    You can see the various layers I used with the SS to get to -27F with Shug this winter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnoo4BPe2eo

Also see my BGT review of the Exped Multimat, most of which was use with the SS:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...0Kurt%20Papke/

I'll be trying out the Multimat next week with FF et al in the sleeve of my new BB.

--Kurt

Images
    Personally,I have never noticed any condensation in my UC or on the pad when using my SBs. Though I can see it as a possible problem if you incorrectly positioned the heat sheet/sb/vb. So, as long you are able to use the VB for full and consistent coverage, you should be able to use down or whatever added to the UC as long as you need it. In theory anyway. After all, I have never had my pad get wet, except one time I thought it was too warm and did not bother with my space blanket. I was plenty warm all night, but when I went to get out the next A.M., the foot of the pad was soaked. I had a really good sleep any way.

Kwpapke should be an authority on that. It sounds like he has really put the mileage on the SS, and in some really cold weather also. What about, Kurt? Did you ever get your insulation wet? If so, do you think it was from not having every thing well covered with the VB/SB?
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-07-2009 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    You can see the various layers I used with the SS to get to -27F with Shug this winter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnoo4BPe2eo

Also see my BGT review of the Exped Multimat, most of which was use with the SS:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...0Kurt%20Papke/

I'll be trying out the Multimat next week with FF et al in the sleeve of my new BB.

--Kurt
    I stand corrected. I thought the Exped mat would supposedly create air gaps. Apparently not in your case.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast