Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How well does the SS work?

Hi, The hammock bug is biting me and I'm starting to look at a system soon. How well does the hennessy SS work? I had a JRB underquilt but sold everything off last year. I am going back into the woods and want to use a hammock again. The Speer set-up seems very nice with the peapod. I am trying to get back into it without spending lots of $$. I still have my homemade RayWay top quilt my friend and wife made for me.
    Greg

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My guess is if you were never happy with your JRB UQ, you'll never be satisfied with the HH SS. Judging by what I read in this forum, the % of customers who are satisfied with the JRB UQ's is much higher than that of the HH SS system.

That said, I am a happy camper in my SS, and its certainly the lowest cost of the two solutions.

You did do a search on "supershelter" and read those threads, yes? Can you be more specific about what would constitute "work well" for you?

--Kurt

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The HH SS is the least expensive way to get back into insulated hammocking.

Mine works well!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Hi, The hammock bug is biting me and I'm starting to look at a system soon. How well does the hennessy SS work? I had a JRB underquilt but sold everything off last year. I am going back into the woods and want to use a hammock again. The Speer set-up seems very nice with the peapod. I am trying to get back into it without spending lots of $$. I still have my homemade RayWay top quilt my friend and wife made for me.
    Greg
    I believe you said you couldn't get the other set up to work quite right for you? I can think of at least ONE other hanger way back- and the post may have been on WB- who could not keep warm enough with a down UQ, switched out in the middle of the night to a SS and was fine. So without knowing what it was about the other set up you were un-satisfied with, the SS might work for you, depending on the temps involved. I find it pretty useful and comfortable set up.

Now, the Speer( or most any gathered end top loader with removable net) with PeaPod should work like a champ ( assuming you can keep your down dry). But you mention cost, you are into a different class now, regarding money. The SS will cost you about $130 regular non-sale ( not counting overcover), the 30*F PeaPod will cost you about $268 ( current sale price) or $335 regular price. It may well be worth it because it works so great, and justified as high quality down is much more expensive than ocf, but the cost is there. Also consider, you get some pretty good wind/sideways rain/mist/fog block with the SSUC- and that will cost you yet more money and weight with the other systems. EDIT: However, I forgot this: for the increased cost, the PeaPod also includes some significant top quilt function, and will allow you to use a much lighter and less expensive top quilt for any given temp. That factor may make up for most of the increased cost compared with the SS!

And another thing is: do you prefer a HH or a Speer? Only you can know that, after you have tried both at least for a short while. Did you like your HH?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-03-2009 at 20:58.

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And another thing is: do you prefer a HH or a Speer? Only you can know that, after you have tried both at least for a short while. Did you like your HH?
    See the other thread he started:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6983

--Kurt

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    After much struggling with my SS when I bought it I'm happy enough with it. I just used it hiking from Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap this past weekend and with temps in the high 20s it was fine. I was warm enough that I felt hot and had to unzip the bag and leave my arms out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I was warm enough that I felt hot and had to unzip the bag and leave my arms out.
    It is the least-expensive, weather-resistant HH insulator to get down to ~30*, bar none. Yes, you need a SB. Yes, its a little confusing to set up at first.

But once you get the hang of it, there's nothing that can touch it for the $. With the UC rolled up in snakeskins, its actually pretty easy to use. Pop the OCF pad out of the sac, unroll it in the UC and attach the elastics, spread out the SB and you're good to go. In any weather.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The HHammock, SS undercover, and OCF pad will all fit together in a small stuff sack nicely. That's the best way to keep the fragile OCF pad from being damaged. I've never used my HH withoiut the SS, but in FL you will remove it in the summer.

As BillyBob said, once you get the pad in the right place, with the UC and pad suspension lines adjusted, just leave it there!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ok... i just pulled the trigger on the super shelter for my explorer. Not sure when it will get here.... but I'll be checking the threads for installation directions once it does.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Ok... i just pulled the trigger on the super shelter for my explorer. Not sure when it will get here.... but I'll be checking the threads for installation directions once it does.
    Good timing - HH were out-of-stock on the Explorer-sized SS for some time.

What kind of space blanket do you have? I recommend the HeatSheet: durable and quiet. I've used mine 60+ nights in my hammock with no tear yet, but the orange paint on the backside is starting to fade.

In addition to the HF threads, see my BGT owner review for a number of photos and setup info that may help you:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...0Kurt%20Papke/

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast