Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I have experienced this as well with my Darien UL. If I lay really diagonal everything is tight as it should be. But when I lay only slightly diagonal it caves in on me. Unfortunately I tend to sleep only slightly diagonal. I had planned on contacting Papa Smurf to see if he could add some grosgrain tie outs to alleviate the problem for me (which might not be a bad option to offer for those who don't tend to sleep very diagonally), if not I was gonna try some grip clips to add tie outs.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Here is mine. For reference, I am short 5'5"and ahem...let's say stocky to where I am near the recommended weight for comfort. My Danien UL is the 11' model so if anything, the issues would be more exaggerated then with the 10' model.

As you can see, I don't have an issue with the netting on my face or feet. When I use the hammock with an underquilt, the bug net does get closer to my face but not any more then other bug net integrated hammocks.

This last picture is a bit of a hijack. I have no idea why the top UQ hook is located here. The UQ hook placements on the head end of the hammock make sense but I'm at loss for the foot end

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Holy crap!
    That's a mistake and pretty darn embarrasing. I must've sewn those quilt hooks on while asleep.
    Emails are on the way to all folks who recived Darien UL's last week.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Holy crap!
    That's a mistake and pretty darn embarrasing. I must've sewn those quilt hooks on while asleep.
    Emails are on the way to all folks who recived Darien UL's last week.
    Men's shirts often have an extra button sewn to the side seam--maybe this is just some extra replacement bling?
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

When I add my UQ the problem is magnified tenfold!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    When I add my UQ the problem is magnified tenfold!
    I'll be interested to see how this problem resolves, sorry you are having it! Things like this are so odd when most don't have them and only one or two do, and trying to figure out what is going on can be a bear.

I know it is a totally different type of problem, but it makes me think of the HH Super Shelter and how it works great for a lot of ( most? ) folks who are warm and dry from the 1st use but there are some folks who can never get warm in it or who are overwhelmed with condensation issues. What is the difference? Some folks are also toasty from the 1st use while a few struggle.

But I digress. I have often had trouble with the netting touching or being too close to my face with my HH Explorer UL, especially with thr HHSS insulation. That is one thing that is far superior with my WBBB, probably because of the way the tie outs are designed, and it also has more room in the foot area. I do better with the net and calf ridge issues in the HH if I don't lay quite so diagonal. But often my sort of wide pillow pushes the side out enough to keep it clear of my face. But occasionally, it is well clear of my face when I get the side tie outs just right, which I have decided is having them pulled really tight towards the ground, which loosens up once I get in but still provides enough pull at a downward angle from the RL, keeping tension on the net. This works better for me than attaching higher up to the tarp or trees.

But, what has me confused about your set up is:
    1: The RL is very loose before you get in ( I always have at least a straight line on my RLs before getting in, though not way tight
    2: still, your RL is very tight once you get in. I would not expect that if it is quite loose before getting in
    3: regardless of a somewhat tight RL after laying down, you get all of this material flopping over you. Which sounds like a very loosely hung hammock.

I don't have a clue. But some grip clips and very thin shock cord pulling the net out is a good idea on many hammocks. It is the approach used by WBBBs and WBRRs.

Yesterday I tried every sort of hang angle to try to overcome this problem. While the ridge line is loose it is still in a fairly straight line.
    I hadn't thought about the grip clips. I was considering sewing on some quilt hooks and using some shock cord to stake it out like my BB.the grip clips may be the better choice.
    My only concern with tying the side out is that it will make getting in & out awkward.
    Like I mentioned above with the UQ the situation is even worse. I do reduce the diagonal when using the UQ to get the best coverage.
    I'm determined to figure this out and make it work! Even though my BB is by far my most favorite hammock the weight of this DUL makes it the better option for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12