Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I recently found 16yrd of sil at Wal-mart. Its banana yellow. I am thinking of making a Yellow Blackcat (If that makes any since).
    I think you can count stealth camping out.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    One more thing on the sea to summit bags, they are siliconized cordura and not sil. But sil works pretty good. I am thinking they made them out of cordura because of the spray you get from sil under heavy pressure. Not a good thing in a dry bag.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    One more thing on the sea to summit bags, they are siliconized cordura and not sil. But sil works pretty good. I am thinking they made them out of cordura because of the spray you get from sil under heavy pressure. Not a good thing in a dry bag.
    Probably has something to do with durability, too - those bags were originally designed for water trips, where they'd be under pretty constant abrasion from dirt, rocks, whatever...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    What kind of spray do you get from sil?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sil is waterproof but does not have much of a resistance to water pressure. Condura is able to better resist water pressure.

This is a great article about dry bags and some info on sil that might surprise some of you.

Quote from above article:
    As a point of comparison, consider that even the lightest of the commercially available polyurethane-coated nylon gear sacks have hydrostatic head values that usually range from 5,000mm to 10,000mm (note also that heavier-duty dry sacks intended for paddling use typically have much higher values). In contrast, the hydrostatic head of standard weight silnylon, according to most manufacturers' specifications, is only 1 to 2 pounds per square inch, which translates (for consistency with industry conventions) into a range of 700mm to 1,400mm. In other words, standard weight silnylon, on average, is less than 15% as water resistant as even the lightest of the conventional coated nylons.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 03-08-2007 at 15:59.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    One more thing on the sea to summit bags, they are siliconized cordura and not sil. .
    i believe it's still silnylon because they still use the same method to impregnate the nylon w/ silicon. they just use a slightly heaver & more durable fabric to fit the need.
    at least that's my understanding.
    but that does raise a question... what if they used the same method on the heavy nylon used on the old heavy duty back packs???
    i don't know... maybe i'm wrong about that. i was one time
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I have taken a Cordura backpack, mixed up silicone sealant and painted it. Works like a charm - water rolls off like water off a ducks back.

Haven't pressure tested it to find it's limits for hydrostatic pressure, probably not much, but it doesn't need to withstand much either as a backpack. But I would bet it is better than conventional silnylon.
    Hmmm...I would think the impregnation would have a more pressure-resistant end result than a coating process...

How much weight did the "painting" add?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Well the tag on mine says cordura. I don't think they are sil. At least they are not ripstop. There is no square pattern. I think it is like Headchange said, sil would not hold up to the water preassure from full water submerssion.

Under heavy rains I have experienced misting through my sil tarp. I think under heavy water pressure while submerged, sil would let water through.

Sil would probibl work for a stuff sack just fine. But I am really weird about getting stuff wet. I could throw my pack in the river and stand on it for an hour without anything important getting wet.

I'll have 4 of them at Hot Springs as part of my setup if anyone wants a closer look.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Byer Mosquito-it wks
    Tarp
    BlackCat x2
    Insulation
    RidgeRest 4 now
    Suspension
    rope straps 4 now

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    You're more lucky than you know - Walmart sil is kind of the Holy Grail of the DIY-er!

Enjoy the directions, happy sewing, and I'll forgive you for the misnomer! Welcome and let me know how it turns out!
    Thank you Blackbishop! Sorry for the slip! I had Chess on my mind!!!

I noticed the tag on my S to S bag saying cordura and I wondered if it was just the black strap??? Interesting that it is the actual material!

The WM mystery material that I scored, appears to be just like the S to S bag...same small squares, can't blow through it, cut edges do not ravel, and it passes the bowl & water test (the ladies in the fabric dept. let me put a puddle of water on the fabric there in the store too!) So, I think it is the Silnylon from all the descriptions people have given.

From one of the doggie commericals on tv: "I'm soooooo Happppeeeeeeee!!!"

Thanks again for all the info!

Happy Hangin'!

Suz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

.edges do not ravel, and it passes the bowl & water test (the ladies in the fabric dept. let me put a puddle of water on the fabric there in the store too!) So, I think it is the Silnylon from all the descriptions people have given.

Suz
    they let you put water on the fabric??? WOW, they just keep looking at me w/ a suspicious look... like, what's this guy doing in the fabric dept
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast