Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ

Cat Urine

Well the topic says it all really.

We just got a new kitten and unfortunately my hammock was in a camping gear bin of stuff that needed to be put away and the kitten must have decided that the bin was a good of place as any to relive itself.

Most of the stuff in the bin was washable but my WarBonnet and my ground foot pad need to be rid of the very bad urine smell.

Any ideas as what I should use and how to clean my hammock?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i've never had the occasion to test on this particular issue, but OdoBan is what i freshen my gear with every fall. they have a pet version that is getting great reviews.
    i believe it's available at most of the big stores.
    you may find it helpful in this situation and around the house too!
    good luck!
    __bob__

also check these care instructions.
    Last edited by flatline; 03-17-2013 at 11:57. Reason: WB care

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I would handwash it in the bathtub, using a gentle soap. If it were me I would use Dr. Bronner's or something like it. HYOH though. I had a tent that my cat drug a dead rabbit into unbeknownst to me. My wife stuffed it away and when we pulled it out weeks later, well you can imagine. Took lots of washings and fabreze and when it gets wet, it still has a tinge of "rotten bunny."
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

"Simple Solution"

That's the brand name of the product for cleaning pet-soiled rugs. Works well to get rid of odors. Test on a nylon fabric scrap or somesuch first, but I haven't seen it damage any fabric yet. If it's a male cat spray-marking, not sure it works, but worth a try.

The vinegar suggestion reminded me that skunk odor can be neutralized by a basic (as in pH basic) hydrogen peroxide solution. Add a Tb. of sodium bicarbonate to a cup of peroxide and throw in a tsp. of liquid detergent. Dilute with water (?), and dunk. Test first. Good luck.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...ins_odors.html

THIS method has worked the best for us. Many years of cats and all that goes with them.

Be aware that the cat will probably do this again given the oportunity. Be sure the pan is clean, I would have the Vet. check the cat to see if it has a bladder infection started. You can check your self, but you might get clawed. Reach under the tummy, firmly push up see if you feel a ribbon like length, if you do the cat probably has an infection it need help now.

If the pee is very strong smelling that is another hint of an infection. Peeing in inappropriate places, is also an indicator for infection or attitude. Marking is just little spritzes.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...ins_odors.html

THIS method has worked the best for us. Many years of cats and all that goes with them.

Be aware that the cat will probably do this again given the oportunity. Be sure the pan is clean, I would have the Vet. check the cat to see if it has a bladder infection started. You can check your self, but you might get clawed. Reach under the tummy, firmly push up see if you feel a ribbon like length, if you do the cat probably has an infection it need help now.

If the pee is very strong smelling that is another hint of an infection. Peeing in inappropriate places, is also an indicator for infection or attitude. Marking is just little spritzes.
    The only time our cat has urinated on anything its had an infection, might want to get it xhexked out.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by outdooraddict View Post
    The only time our cat has urinated on anything its had an infection, might want to get it xhexked out.
    I was adopted by a fearl kitten, she will pee on anything left on the floor.

In my experience of being owned by cats since 1955: Check for infection, especially if there is a really strong odor. Marking is common, but that is just usually a tiny bit. Not what you described. Your cat might have had a plastic bin for a potty where she/he lived before. Your bin could have smelled like amonia, I think that smell is in some plastic, we might not smell it but they do. The cat could have marked you as its owner, so when you leave all cats will know that you are owned already. Spay or nueture boys and girls will mark to annouce where they live. Keep your clothing including shoes up off the ground, towells are included in the list of things some cats like to pee on.

If your cat does have an infection, beaware that your bed is fair game.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I also suggest you make your best selection first. You can lock in odors especially cat pee if you put the wrong thing on it, do not get it all out at the same time. Sometimes cleaning, drying and then cleaning again, puts the smell in permanently. Quick action is the best, just beware that you may lock the odor into the item that has been signed.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Vinegar in the water. Use about 1 cup per gallon of water and soak it. How long/many times you have to soak it depends on a couple of things. How long has it been on the fabric and if the cat was a male. Male cat urine is concentrated and it will take more, longer soaking. Change soaking water/vinegar every day.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Vinegar in the water. Use about 1 cup per gallon of water and soak it. How long/many times you have to soak it depends on a couple of things. How long has it been on the fabric and if the cat was a male. Male cat urine is concentrated and it will take more, longer soaking. Change soaking water/vinegar every day.
    Will the Vinegar affect the SilNylon? my biggest fear trying this method, is that it might "burn" the water treatment of the silnylon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast