1.1 dual layer Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 cat
    Insulation
    JRB NS
    Suspension
    home made whoopie

Question Flexible Pack System for BMB & Ground Dwelling

I am looking for honest feedback on a pack system for hammock camping and tent camping. I am a Scout Master looking to lighten my load prior to going to Philmont during the summer of 2010. Sure will miss my Bear Mountain Bridge on the trek.

I am looking at ULA Catalyst and Moonbow Gearskins. ULA is a more conventional selection but I like the Gearskins wide range of volume adaptablilty.

I am currently using a external frame pack that was used by some of the settlers from the original 13 colonies... LOL! Any Feedback would accepted!

Thanks,

Lee

Images
    I take it you are required to use a tent, rather than your BMBH and a tarp? I bet you will indeed miss it!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Isn't there a Catalyst for "best offer" in the 4 sale forum? Sounds like a winner to me...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    1.1 dual layer Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 cat
    Insulation
    JRB NS
    Suspension
    home made whoopie
    Alas low impact camping is required at Philmont. I tend to believe that tents do much more damage than my BMB. But everyone has there own opinion when leave no trace is concerned.

I saw the the Catalyst in the 4 sale forum, I am greatly temped. I was hoping someone might have used the two different packs at one time or another.

Lee

I've read good things about both packs...argggg!!

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images
    My troop is going to Philmont this year. I took an Autumn Adventure plus some classes at the training center as preparation two years ago.

Philfood is quite bulky and heavy. It's about 1 pound per person per meal. It will take a lot of space in your pack. Luckily, you only have to carry two or three days at a time.

I usually go fairly light, maybe around 40lbs for gear, clothes, food, fuel and water for an 11 day trip. With a 70 liter pack, there was just the right amount of room for the Philfood and my share of crew gear.

My understanding is that Philmont no longer requires a separate set of sleeping clothes that saves some weight and spacke

The ranger wasn't too happy with my floorless tarp tent but he let me go anyway. I got the impression that if I had been on a trek with Scouts, I might have been carrying one of Philmont's 8lb Eureka Timberline tents. http://www.eurekatent.com/p-54-timberline-4.aspx

You can get some good info on the Philmont mailing list http://lists.usscouts.org/ but be forewarned there are some people on that list that believe that the Eureka Timberline is the pinnacle of backpacking tent design and that backpacking shoes should weigh 5 lbs per pair. There are also people like me that normally do lightweight backpacking and are trying to become ultra light weight backpackers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Philmont is different. Philmont is not about the backpacking and Philmont enourages the slow-and-heavy style of backpacking. You can go lighter but you need to prepare and make sure that you can accommodate the bulky food and crew gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I own a Gearskin pack. What one person likes another person will not. I have only used my gearskin three times. It is not really my cup of tea. A lot of people swear by them. It was jsut not for me. They are capable of hold a lot of storage. I found that I like the internal and external frame packs better as they keep the pack away from your body. This way you don't have that one bulge pooking into your back because you did not pack the skin right. I personally prefer a internal from. The new internals are nothing like the packs when we were in scouts. Tecnology has changed a lot since we were kids.

This is my opinion. Others may not agree with me. A lot of people like it because of how lightweight it is. I would rather add a extra pound for the added comfort of a internal frame pack that fits my body. I know a lot of people that absolutely love their gearskin but like I said it is just not for me.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by I Splice View Post
    Philfood is quite bulky and heavy. It's about 1 pound per person per meal. It will take a lot of space in your pack. Luckily, you only have to carry two or three days at a time.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that Philmont is different. Philmont is not about the backpacking and Philmont enourages the slow-and-heavy style of backpacking. You can go lighter but you need to prepare and make sure that you can accommodate the bulky food and crew gear.
    I went on a Philmont trek in 2006. Ditto on everything I Splice says...plus the probability that you'll be hiking up to dry camps and need to haul extra water as well. And the probability that at least one day you'll be carrying four days of food. And have a good look at the size of the boys in your crew. Is "your fair share" of crew gear in proportional to the size of the crew, or in proportion to the sizes of the crew members?

You do what you can do to minimize your own weight (I shared a tarptent with one of my sons and slept under a JRB Stealth), and to the extent you can minimize the weight of the crew equipment (look at the stoves, cooking gear, and required "cooking tarp"). But there's nothing you can do about the heavy food and the dry camps. Be prepared to carry more than you'd like, and have a pack suitable for straping things to the exterior.

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Sounds like you'll be hauling alot of gear, need to probably look for a pack with a heavier load rating and a double stay suspension system. Osprey Aether series.

Hammock
    1.1 dual layer Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 cat
    Insulation
    JRB NS
    Suspension
    home made whoopie
    Sorry I haven't replied sooner... "work"... Thank you all for the great information! This will be my first Trek at Philmont with my son. I'm really looking forward to the experience. We're all talking about the weight problem... some of the boys in my troop are on the small side... sure hope they do some growing over the summer!! LOL

I'll check out the Osprey series equipment... I'll check back in with my selection.

Now to prepare for the Conecuh Trail with my Troop!

Have a great day & Thanks again!

Lee

Hey Scout Master,

I had never looked at the Gearskins until your post piqued my curiosity.

If you have the temperament and time to fuss with all that (just plain weird) set-up and a troop of scouts you're a far better man than I'll ever be.

Imo there's a lot to be said for simplicity.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast