Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Hammock for PCT?

Hi all,

I am going to be hiking the Oregon section of the PCT this summer, and am very interested in using a hammock. I have slept in hammocks before and they seem to keep some of my back problems at bay. I am hoping to keep my total pack weight at about 30 to 35 pounds.

My problem is that I am not able to try out a lot of different hammocks and I live in a relatively remote area (not close to REI or similar stores).

Might you have some suggestions for hammocks that I could use on this trip?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I don't have a specific recommendation (well, I love my WB gear)- there are lot of good choices on here.

I will say I've seen people from Bend & Oregon on this site, and they might have a group hang where you can see some for yourself. Check out the Trip Planning forum - if you don't see an Oregon specific hang you might ask if one is coming up.

Love the area you live - I visited Smith Rock this past summer. Good stuff.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Silny
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Just in case you hadn't seen it, there's the 3rd Annual Oregon Hang in August.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=67951

I'm thinking of arranging a couple of smaller hang outs around the Eugene area. But those are still just ideas being stirred around the mental pot for the moment.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Don't think a PCT hammock is much different than any other lightweight hammock. Check out the vendor's section here and pick one. You'll do fine. (I love my Warbonnet Blackbird). You will need tarp, top quilt and underquilt.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrone View Post
    Hi all,

I am going to be hiking the Oregon section of the PCT this summer, and am very interested in using a hammock. I have slept in hammocks before and they seem to keep some of my back problems at bay. I am hoping to keep my total pack weight at about 30 to 35 pounds.

My problem is that I am not able to try out a lot of different hammocks and I live in a relatively remote area (not close to REI or similar stores).

Might you have some suggestions for hammocks that I could use on this trip?

Thanks!
    CONTACT Gary_R I found him to be very helpful. Everyonce in a while a few of us get together. If you were to come to something where there are theree or four of us (or more) you could tryout different hammocks. Gary_R has a lot of knowledge, I am sure he could make some suggestions.

I have Hennessy's, ENO Dbl, and a Green Hornet. For me it depends on how the hammock is hung, more than the brand of hammock. But I am NOT an expert. I am short and I found the larger hammocks are a pain to get out of, but that is just me and my needs. I think you have to test and I am not sure just laying in one for 5 minutes will tell you if it is what you need.

My back is definately better when I sleep in a hammock. I can now camp without taking pain meds.

My dog and I are also planning on hiking part of the PCT this Summer, maybe we will meet. Crazy lady with large dog pulling a cart

The Oregon section of the PCT is nice and friendly for hammocks, unlike the CA Sierra's where I usually hike. Any decent hammock should do nicely, it can get fairly wet, depending on what time of year you go but high summer should be wonderful.

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    +1 on the contacting of Gary_R. He is indeed a wealth of information and a really nice guy. Welcome aboard by the way.

Hey, thanks for all of the advice everybody! i will give Gary_R a shout. Hope to see some of you on the trail.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    How much are you spending? On a budget? Concerned about pack weight?

Without knowing answers to the questions, it's a bit tough. But, I've gone through my share of hammocks and landed at the following:
    - Comfort: Blackbird or Blackbird XLC. My most comfortable gathered end hammock, but a bit heavier than most.
    - Light: DreamHammock Darien UL. Still pretty comfy and VERY light.

Tarp:
    If I were camping in the rainy NW, I'd get a tarp with doors. If on a budget, the Warbonnet Superfly. If money is no object, a HammockGear Winter Palace or 4 season.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    BLACKBIRD XLC, Clark North American
    Tarp
    MAMAJAMBA
    Insulation
    Upper/Lower Quilt
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    I plan to hike the PCT in 2 years. I live down here in California and have hiked the Sierra Nevada all my life. I am also a lightweight backpacker and my backpack base-weight is less than 12 pounds (that's without food/water).

I currently use the Clark North American, and have for 4 years. I dearly love my North American, but the problem I have with it is finding a light weight insulation system, as I don't carry enough stuff to put into the pockets under it. In the Sierra, during the summer, it gets into the low 50's at night, and w/out something under you you will get cold, and I'm sure it is the same in Oregon.

So after 4 years of using my Clark, I've decided to change (at this point in time) to the Warbonnet Blackbird. Not sure yet about the tarp. Then, start looking for a very light full length underquilt and overquilt. I think this type of system will be needed for the Sierra/Cascade to stay warm at night. Even in the summer.

Hope this helps in your decision.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast