Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help

A little help

So I bought a cheap hammock last year and liked it. I've watched all shrugs videos they are great. So I'm ready for a hammock set up and got to looking around. You mean to tell me to sleep in a hammock it almost a grand in gear??!!!

Warbonnet hammock and tarp not too bad. But quilts!!! Holy s@@t! Atone 400 plus all the little accessories. Am I missing something? Am I shopping at the wrong place?

I've looked at warbonnet, jacks r better, hammock gear, and amazon.

Thanks in advance for the help

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Hammocks are like anything - you can spend as little or as much as you want. Kind of like some people sleep in a tent from Walmart, others sleep in an RV.

The good thing is there are all sorts of options - from DIY to using pads instead of UQ's.

Good luck in your quest to find what is right for you.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Save your pennies for that downy goodness. In the meantime, try pads in a double layer hammock. Some people even prefer pads to underquilts. I purchased an underquilt and a topquilt used from people here on the forums and last fall bought a Hammock Gear 20* TQ when they had their Black Friday Sale.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I use a cheap 0 degree sleeping bag and a thick blanket under me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Down is great but synthetic is much easier on the wallet. As mentioned, pads are an inexpensive way to start.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    My family started with just our sleeping bags. Then we got two synthetic underquilts and used the bags as top quilts. Kids were still using just the pads and bags, easier to get them in them. Saved up and got two down uqs. Now we are trying to save up to buy actual tqs. May take us years to get all the gear how we want it but meanwhile we are having a ball getting by.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Darien UL, WBBB
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Woopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Pads, also this site has a lot of do it yourself instruction. Make your own uq with old down sleeping bags and so forth. You can use blankets and sleeping bags as a top quilt no problem. It isnt an all or nothing deal, you can build your kit slowly and just about everything can be made on your own if you or a friend/family member is inclined.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    A Warbonnet, plus a cheap tarp + closed cell foam pad + decent sleeping bag and maybe a chunk of fleece and you're set for not huge amounts of $$$.
    Down quilts are expensive and worth every penny, but not absolutely necessary. If you can sew, you can save some more $$$. I learned to sew and make some items for hammocking. Hammocks are actually easy to make as are bug nets, tarps and socks. $50 for an old, used machine in great condition with a warranty and some instruction and I was off and injecting. Outfitted all my grandchildren for cheap with quality gear.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    As far as price is concerned, it's been said pretty clearly. It is very low(DIY, ((sometimes)) upto very high.
    DIY can save your bacon, mmmmm bacon. But, sometimes it can be just as expensive as getting extremely good gear from our cottage vendors, if you don't know what your doing.

Going to our vendors, you have a complete item and remember, they are also hikers/hammockers, and mostly forum members here as well, and you know your gear will be top notch, made by folks that actually use their products.

As far as my DIY gear, my thread injector I received for Christmas this past year is more expensive than all that DIY added up.

Pick your battles as far as the price/experience you can afford to make and what you can purchase. Upgrade when needed/if needed.

Good luck and have fun.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME IT COSTS HALF A MILLION DOLLARS TO DRIVE A CAR?!

Nope, but Ferrari sure is expensive.
    Your looking at all the best gear, for sale at hand made in the USA to order prices... Stuff like that in any hobby is expensive.

A table cloth, sleeping bag, pad and tarp can be done for less then $100 easy.
    A poncho liner underquilt can be done for ~$30 and is good to 50s...

I have a skeeter beater pro ($65) a Kelty Noah 12 ($50), Jarbidge ($100) and a mummy bag ($35). $250 for COMFORTABLE shelter that is reasonably packable and reasonably light and will work down to ~30 degrees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast