Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Re: Don't know where else to put this?

Oh yeah. Just put it on and it does its job. Very warm, no worries.
    Travel Journal: http://clackstont100.weebly.com/

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by CB200T View Post
    But, in the cycling world a lot of bike shops do a saddle loaner program where they have a set of demo saddles, or bikes even, that a customer can try prior to purchasing. Would it be possible for the major hammock manufacturers to have a demo hammock program so that indecisive people like me didn't have to buy and try and sell (or return) a barely used hammock?...
    Just thinking out loud.

Since there aren't a lot of hammock stores (none?) stocking multiple brands, demo units would have to be shipped both ways. You're out $20 right there.

If a bicycle seat gets scuffed, it does not endanger the next person that demos it. If a hammock gets scuffed, it could increase it's chance of failure and present the manufacturer with a liability problem.

Both look like deal breakers to me.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Your tent and sleep system must be pretty light because my backpacking tent weighed closed to 4 lbs. My Heavy duty HH Explorer weighs 3.3 oz. I have a DIY version that is about a pound, another pound when you add the tarp. My TQ is the same one that I would use for tents and my Pad is same pad I used for Tents. I plan to swap it out to an UQ before long but he weight is not that much more than a NeoAir. The hammock shelter is definitely heavier for colder climates but in the warmer climates it is often lighter.

The way I look at sleep shelters is this, it is the most important piece of gear I carry and everything else revolves around it. Even if one shelter is a few ounces to a pound and a half heavier than another shelter, but is more comfortable, I will stick with the heavier one. Comfort and good nights sleep comes first then everything else. I dont mind carrying an extra pound or even two, if it gives me a better nights sleep and no aches and pains the next day.

If your not comfortable then your just not comfortable, period. Hammocks are not for everyone just like tents. I used to love using my tent but my back just couldn't take it anymore. To be honest, if it wasn't for discovering this site, I wouldn't be backpacking anymore. Whatever shelter works for you is all that matters.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    A while back someone did just that zith switchback. Real good marketing idea. I got it for a week and had a great time playing with it. Then sent it out to the next in line. Totally worth the shipping.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    haha, go figure well I ain't tellin' you nothin' you don't already know then

How did you like that Lynx? Was it pretty "set-it-and-forget-it"?
    OOOOOOOOOOOOO YEA. Lynx is the best UQ ever. That and the super flat lay make the RR truly wonderful. If you're even a little on the fence about the Lynx, just do it .
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12