HH exped
    Tarp
    HH diamond
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    stock HH

Underquilt for Hennessey Expedition

Just started hanging last year and am now considering getting an under quilt for my Hennessey Expedition ASym Zip. I used a pad last year but the quilt looks like a more comfortable option.

The Jacks r Better Shenadoah looks like the best bet since I don't planning on hanging in any temps below 40 degrees. It seems like a pretty easy set up and an economical choice so I was wondering what experience others have had.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have an HH w/classic entry and am using the JRB Nest UQ. I can highly recommend JRB products. Delivery was timely, my product does exactly what was advertised (works well with classic entry), and price was good. JRB must have answered a dozen questions for me before the purchase and never once did they lose patience with all my noob questions.

I know it is not the product you are looking for but I would not hesistate to order from JRB again reguardless of the product.

Images
    Is your HH Expedition a zipper model or bottom entry(BE)? Because if a BE, you will need to get more specific advice about which UQs are known to work good with that hammock. What I mean is: some UQs have what is known as a Perimeter suspension and are adjustable head to foot. Once you are lying down in the hammock, you grab the UQ and pull it towards your head or push it towards your feet so that it is positioned precisely where it works best. Obviously, to take advantage of this feature, you need to be able to reach outside your hammock, though no doubt there are mods to help with this if you have a BE model.

Other than that, most any UQ from an HF vendor should work fine with any HH. And the JRBs certainly have some fine UQs for that purpose, most of which don't have that type of suspension and which work fine with a BE or zip model. And the Shenandoah will work fine as a TQ or UQ. But consider one more thing: the Shenandoah is meant for universal use as either a TQ or UQ, though I feel it is more commonly used as a TQ. As opposed to their MW or Greylock series, which are primarily used as UQs and are differentially cut.

This means you don't have to worry too much about pulling the suspension too tight and crushing the loft too much and loosing warmth. With an UQ that does not have this feature, you have to be much more careful with getting it adjusted just right, so that it was just barely snug against your back but not enough to flatten the loft.

Don't let that put you off of the quilt, as many people did just that before dif cuts became available. But it does have an extra learning curve compared to the JRB MWs and Greylocks, and is something to keep in mind.

They also make a model called the Nest, which is designed with an opening that perfectly matches the BE HH.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Seems to be a zip BillyBob. If that is the case, I would think you would have great success with most UQ's.

I have a bottom entry and had luck with my Phoenix.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Arrowhead Equipment makes a UQ specifically designed to be used with Hennessy's: The Potomac. I have one and it works well on both my Expedition and my Deep Jungle. Its moderately priced and I've had it below 40*.

Hammock
    HH exped
    Tarp
    HH diamond
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    stock HH
    It is a zip side entry.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a Hennessy expedition side zip and all three of the JRB top/under quilts. I love them all, highly recommended. Depending on weather I take the lower than expected temp for under and the next step higher as my top quilt and have always been warm.

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

I love the underquilts from hammock gear. Now that they've upgraded the suspension I don't shove them out from under me when I roll over.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    HH exped
    Tarp
    HH diamond
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    stock HH
    Following up a bit on the quilt question. The vast majority of my hanging is done while backpacking so reducing the amount of gear I carry is important. In the rare event you have to go to ground and are carrying an underquilt instead of a pad, does the quilt provide adequate insulation while sleeping on the ground?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer

On the ground you'd be flattening the down, significantly reducing its effective insulation. Not a good idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast