WB RidgeRunner/Darien UL
    Tarp
    Spinntek Mamajamba
    Insulation
    TQ LeighLo/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCRs

Leg Warmers with CCF Inserts?

After a rather windy and cool night in Montana in a single layer hammock I began to think about my lower leg section and the 1/4" EVA foam pad which works flawlessly as long as it stays where I want it to. Sadly I am a side sleeper and I flip from my left side to right side and vice versa all night long, thus destroying the feng shui of lower leg insulation.

I realize the easiest solution is to go to a full length underquilt but I already have a nice down filled torso length quilt so I'm thinking why not craft some fleece leggings that take an EVA insert. Then no matter what my legs do the insulation stays with me.

Has anyone else tried this and found it to be a miserable failure so I can stop tilting at this windmill before I invest time and money in a bad idea and just sell my JRB Greylock 3 and buy a full length jobber?
    Life is short and then it's forever..

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Re: Leg Warmers with CCF Inserts?

Why not insultex? It is windproof, light, an reasonably warm.... I figure you could make sleeves... on the arms during the lay, legs at night...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner/Darien UL
    Tarp
    Spinntek Mamajamba
    Insulation
    TQ LeighLo/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCRs
    How compressible is Insultex? I would be concerned that it would crush down and you lose your insulative powers.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Re: Leg Warmers with CCF Inserts?

Insulted is basically a thin polyethylene foam quilted to 2 layers of scrim. It works best with an air gap, so it may not be the best in that application. I think I have a scrap I can send you...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

I think you have a really good idea here. I have come to admit to myself that part of my tendency to curl into a ball during the pre-dawn hours, is because the legs are not completely warm. On my last trip, I kept a pair of JRB arm warmers within reach. On the coldest nights, I would wake up and put these on my lower legs. The coverage was from above the knee to the ankle. My Arrowhead down socks kept my feet toasty warm below that.

One of the Jack's himself told me that these arm warmers were designed to be big enough to do be used this way. This has proved to be a useful tip for me. Now I add the JRB sleeves to be used as part of my sleeping system to extend the comfort range of my quilts. This worked well at 18 degrees with quilts rated to 20.

JRB sleeves and the Arrowhead socks have been a great investment, but I am eager to hear of more affordable entry level solutions for DIY'ers. Keep us informed of your findings!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The "entry level" is a couple of layers of over-the calf socks, maybe cut off at the ankle, so they can be pulled up higher.

Inner layer is soft and comfortable wool or whatever keeps your legs warm in cold weather as an outer garment. (This cyclist isn't keen on spandex / panty hose, but is surprises me how much protection elasticized polyester sleeves -- so called "warmers" -- provide, even with the wind chill of 20mph. Or ask anyone who has been relieved in heat to remove thin, breathable hosiery, how much difference so thin a layer can make.

Outer layer for the legs is coarse, breathable, relatively stiff wool boot sock uppers, such as from least-expensive "Wigwam". (The stiffness of the wool reduces compression.) As above, cut off at the ankle, especially if you wish to treat your feet separately.

Last thing is Mom's advice: Keeping a warm head with a balaclava and maybe even a cap under it, too -- "warm head for warm feet" ?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner/Darien UL
    Tarp
    Spinntek Mamajamba
    Insulation
    TQ LeighLo/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCRs
    Thanks DemostiX, hadn't even thought about wool (he says, feeling really stupid). I am going to get my hands on some wool felt and a few other bits and see what I can come up with.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies
    I've put my gaiters on my lower legs for an extra layer when temps creep below forecasted. Any spare clothing you have packed can be wrapped around your leg under the gaiter for additional insulation.

Hammock
    Frontline whoopified
    Tarp
    mammajamba
    Insulation
    modified cosmic
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Maybe head over to Goodwill or other used clothing store and scrounge a fiberfill jacket. Use the sleeves from the coat for ready-made leggings. A quick seam and a pair of scissors and presto - warm, comfy shins and thighs. If you're careful you could also have a vest for backup too

I'm not sure if down would do what you need but I picked up one of these because the price was so good http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hammock
    diy 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Insulation
    hg incubator
    Suspension
    dutch whoopie hook
    Jcp puffer coat long johns. They weigh 5oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast