Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Tree Strap w/ Beet

Post DIY Poncho UQ q's

I'm pretty new to hanging. Did 14 miles on AT 2 weeks ago and got kinda cold one night. I'm looking to DIY a UQ. Looking for most cost efficient way. Seen and heard of Poncho UQ and am very interested. Is there a certain poncho/poncho fabric that's best for constructing the UQ. I do most of my hiking in the Southeast (Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and some on the AT) so the UQ only needs to be for -40 to -20 below. Thanks for all suggestions and tips.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    It's a poncho liner used for the underquilt, not a poncho, and you can get 'em at your local Army/Navy surplus store for anywhere from ~$20 to ~$40. Directions can be found here for the no-sew PLUQ (scroll down to post #7 for the updated version) and here for the sewn version. Both are relatively cheap for the temperature rating.

I'd rate the no-sew version to ~45* F for the mythical "average" sleeper. The sewn-up version doesn't add much in temperature rating if you don't add insulation to it. If you do, you can get colder; I've taken mine as cold as 25* F without added under insulation and been comfortable (I've taken it as low as 21*, but I was cold that night), just from the addition of one layer of InsulBright. Buuut...I'm also a nearly inhumanly warm sleeper (I've slept cold but okay in 43* F temps with nothing but a semi-Garlington insulator under me consisting of a poncho and space blanket, in my boxers, with just a poncho liner used as a top quilt). For the "average" sleeper, I'd rate that to ~32* F.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    You say you are new to hanging, maybe your not new to camping and have some sleeping bags you wouldn't mind turning in to UQ's.

I know there are threads about it here, my computer stinks, otherwise I would post the links for you. A quick search shall yield you results.

FLRider: Wow I thought I was an inhumanly warm sleeper, you topped me! LOL!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Tree Strap w/ Beet
    thanks a lot FLRider - most def will look into this - exactly what I was looking for

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    FLRider: Wow I thought I was an inhumanly warm sleeper, you topped me! LOL!
    Well, in all fairness, I woke up every 90 to 180 minutes that night, turned over to warm the other side of me, and fell back asleep. I wasn't comfortable by any means, but I was able to sleep. Aaaaaand...that's why I always try to ensure that I give the mythical "average" sleeper temps for insulation I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by VT ONETIME View Post
    thanks a lot FLRider - most def will look into this - exactly what I was looking for
    Not a problem. They're really easy to make, and dejoha does a wonderful job of illustrating how to do that.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    find a jcpenny that still has the down puffer jackets on clearance...there are great threads on here on how to turn those things into underquilts (and topquilts, and booties, and hoods, etc)

• + New Posts