Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nice video. You certainly put a lot more effort into your tarp/hammock setup than I do. I could never imagine rolling up the doors on the tarp - I'm too lazy. If I don't need them I just tie them back to one of the center pull-outs.

I also don't try to mitigate condensation with my CF tarp. The only times I ever got condensation was when the dew point was so high there was no way to mitigate.

My wife has a film degree and she's a wizard with a camera. She would not be a fan of the distance from which you filmed most of your content, nor the lighting (as previously mentioned). Camera in the woods looking out onto a cow pasture that's receiving tons more light wasn't ideal. Go all Clint Eastwood in Outlaw Josey Wales and keep the sun at your back.

The only other suggestion I would make is to shorten your videos. Editing is time-consuming as heck, but well worth it for the viewer. I haven't made a video in ages, but my current thinking is that 7 minutes is an ideal video length, ten okay, and 12 is pushing it for the average attention span.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Nice video. You certainly put a lot more effort into your tarp/hammock setup than I do. I could never imagine rolling up the doors on the tarp - I'm too lazy. If I don't need them I just tie them back to one of the center pull-outs.

I also don't try to mitigate condensation with my CF tarp. The only times I ever got condensation was when the dew point was so high there was no way to mitigate.

My wife has a film degree and she's a wizard with a camera. She would not be a fan of the distance from which you filmed most of your content, nor the lighting (as previously mentioned). Camera in the woods looking out onto a cow pasture that's receiving tons more light wasn't ideal. Go all Clint Eastwood in Outlaw Josey Wales and keep the sun at your back.

The only other suggestion I would make is to shorten your videos. Editing is time-consuming as heck, but well worth it for the viewer. I haven't made a video in ages, but my current thinking is that 7 minutes is an ideal video length, ten okay, and 12 is pushing it for the average attention span.
    Thanks SilvrSurfr! These are the kind of comments that I hope will make my videos more enjoyable and useful. I will try filming closer and talking less. I already cut out about 10min of stuff. Lighting is still something I need to work on.

Since I know not everyone will have a cuben tarp, I wanted to show what others could do to mitigate the condensation issues.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks for the video, FIMB. I am still playing with my setup, so seeing yours has given me some ideas. The detail of the SR Pole Mod was very helpful, I'll probably include that if I find "storm mode" too claustrophobic for me. I'm enjoying your videos, looking forward to more in the future!
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I had to laugh when you were explaining your rational for determining which end would be the head end. You set up to face the sun in the morning. I use the same rational, except I face AWAY from the sun in the morning so that I can sleep in

I used to set up my tarp like you did in the video and would have to go back and forth to each end a few times to center the tarp. However, I have converted to Dehoja's method and love it as shown in this video.... http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/v...s-with-a-tarp/

I particularly like your use of the hiking poles to open up space under the tarp. The only additional equipment needed is that short tube. Very resourceful!

Finally, thanks for taking the significant time to film all that, so we can learn from each other.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkbyrd View Post
    Thanks for the video, FIMB. I am still playing with my setup, so seeing yours has given me some ideas. The detail of the SR Pole Mod was very helpful, I'll probably include that if I find "storm mode" too claustrophobic for me. I'm enjoying your videos, looking forward to more in the future!
    You're welcome. I hope to see you out there soon with your set up.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I had to laugh when you were explaining your rational for determining which end would be the head end. You set up to face the sun in the morning. I use the same rational, except I face AWAY from the sun in the morning so that I can sleep in

I used to set up my tarp like you did in the video and would have to go back and forth to each end a few times to center the tarp. However, I have converted to Dehoja's method and love it as shown in this video.... http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/v...s-with-a-tarp/

I particularly like your use of the hiking poles to open up space under the tarp. The only additional equipment needed is that short tube. Very resourceful!

Finally, thanks for taking the significant time to film all that, so we can learn from each other.
    I have to give credit to SGT Rock for the pole mod idea, but I love it so much more than side pull outs.

I just stopped using the single ridgeline and I like both about the same so far. This one weighs less, but I haven't fully decided what I'm going to do. The only solution? More gear testing!
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12