Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Using my Nissan Xterra as the other tree to hang my hammock

Going to Lake Powell I knew it might be challenging to have any decent trees to hang from and I was right. I got to the campsite and all I had was one decent tree to hang from. It was so hot (for me) that I thought I would try hooking up to my Xterra's roof mounted cargo carrier/luggage rack. I had googled and searched for anyone else doing this kind of thing with their Xterra before going and it seemed plausable. As you can tell it worked like a champ:

A close up of my connection method on my Nissan Xterra. I figured that attaching to the base of the support would put the best distribution of horizontal force on it - I wanted the force to be carried by the metal hex screws as much as possible and by the plastic as little as possible. I tried this connection on multiple support posts on my rack and they all seemed equally solid.

The other end of my connection - just a standard tree hugger and carabineer (Note that I use a carabineer as my toggle and hook my whoopee sling into the carabineer, I have never had a problem)

As you can see, it worked great! I got no crazy plastic cracking or creaking sounds, it felt rock solid. I weigh about 205-210 and it held me just fine all night.
    So if any of you have an Xterra, give it a try. I see no problems hooking up a hammock from each roof support.

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I saw this and I immediately thought of how quickly the roof rack on my Explorer would come off if I did that. Good idea nate! If I were to do that with my old truck and at my present weight, it would go something like this. I use the following attachment to keep my dog from wandering off when I bathe her in the driveway.
    I have a 10 inch webbing loop and I use it to larks head around one of the spokes of my trucks wheel. For a hammock, I would go to the opposite side from the hammock and make my attachment loop to the wheel. Then I would put some webbing or rope through that loop and pass it across the car to the hammock side. From there it is a matter of a marlin spike knot and attaching the whoopie sling.
    Here is a picture of what I am talking about pulled out straight. Just imagine it pulled straight up and going over the truck and there you have it.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Slick! I think I'll look into doing that with my Vue. The luggage rack seems beefy enough.
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    I saw this and I immediately thought of how quickly the roof rack on my Explorer would come off if I did that. Good idea nate!
    Yeah, this is a crap shoot. At least one member, one of the gals (don't remember who), lost a rack doing this. Others have gotten away with it. You pays your money and takes your chances.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Cool idea!

I know personally this works for a `73 VW bus as well . . . Can't see it here, but I tied to the driver's side of the roof rack, and a tree at the other end.

Here's our All-Star chillin between games at a recent tournament.

-Klauss

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY g.e. 1.9
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    Bag, foam or wool
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies

XTerra Hang

I tried this with my XTerra roof rack also. It worked but at 270lbs I would'nt trust it for all night. I saw another guy use the door post in between the front and back door and it looked to be a lot more solid way for me to go. Didn't want to pull the rack off in the middle of the night!

I know, the sag is way off... it was just a test hang.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I hung from my X, few times. With Roof basket tied to the Cross bars. With adding hammock, just run strap to other Bar Tie it, Add wrap close to Hammock side.. Done.

no issues, Seen a few X's with Hammocks. Just watch the shear loads & weight going into hammock should be no problems.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AT4ever View Post
    . I saw another guy use the door post in between the front and back door and it looked to be a lot more solid way for me to go.
    I thought about doing this too, I was worried about the plastic around the inside of the support pillar crushing under load.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    I have a 10 inch webbing loop and I use it to larks head around one of the spokes of my trucks wheel. For a hammock, I would go to the opposite side from the hammock and make my attachment loop to the wheel. Then I would put some webbing or rope through that loop and pass it across the car to the hammock side. From there it is a matter of a marlin spike knot and attaching the whoopie sling.

I had not thought about doing that...seems like a totally bullet proof way to do it though. I might try that next time just to see how it works. It is always good to have options

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I slept all night in my Switchback using the rack this Spring when I found there weren't two trees close enough at the Hiker Hostel in Damascus. It did "rack the rack" a bit, but it held.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast