Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Dang that was some fast replys! Thanks everyone for the advice. The reason I mentioned my Walmart hammock was just to see how crappy hammocks could get. I've had my eye in the ENO Single. The reviews are all positive on here and other sites. But I do sort of want to work with that Walmart one some more to see if I can make if work. What other brands would you recommend for a college kid on a budget?
    Grant

Getting lost is not a waste of time.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gcy24 View Post
    Dang that was some fast replys! Thanks everyone for the advice. The reason I mentioned my Walmart hammock was just to see how crappy hammocks could get. I've had my eye in the ENO Single. The reviews are all positive on here and other sites. But I do sort of want to work with that Walmart one some more to see if I can make if work. What other brands would you recommend for a college kid on a budget?
    If you're willing to spend $60 on a hammock right now, why not wait another couple of paychecks and put together another $60 and go looking for a Hennessy in the For Sale Section, or even brand new. You'll get a better hammock and you won't have to go looking for a bug net and tarp----which is what you'll be doing after you get the ENO.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    +1 Sargevining

Keep an eye on the for sale section here on HF so you get a feel for pricing (while you build up your posts to at least 50).
    Keep reading the Reviews forum to learn about different models.
    Attend as many group hangs as you can while you save a few bucks whenever you can.

Search Tablecloth in the DIY forums for an inexpensive alternative too.

Meanwhile - work with what you have. It's not about gear-pride; it's about getting out there and enjoying it while you learn and upgrade your kit.
    Last edited by Loki; 03-21-2013 at 16:44.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images

Get what you pay for?

I too am less than 1 year in to the "hammock world". Although if you are referring to the EQUIP Travel Hammock, it is actually a descent (and cheap at at 20$) backup hammock for friends. I rested easy in a Hennessy Exp last night at 28 degrees. I have also been fine in my ENO single and the EQUIP at the same temps. Have you upgraded to a different suspension yet? The stock suspension had to go as soon as I brought it home from Wally World. As to your question of why it did not feel like it was hanging correctly, sounds like you just needed to make a few adjustments. Sleep in it a few times and you will love it. I purchased the last 4 at my Walmart. So i personally have no problem with it to have an extra on hand and in my trunk. Never know when a "hang" may present itself. Happy Hanging!

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    By the way.... LOKI hit the nail on the head!

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Chriss,
    I'm not sure which Walmart hammock I have. But what suspension upgrade did you do to yours?
    Grant

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I upgraded mine to whoopie slings and use ENO Atlas straps for tree strap. Some may like other straps but I like the adjustability of the Atlas straps. If you are on a budget, you can use "ratchet straps" (take the ratchet off). Most of them have a 200+ load weight. I still have a lot to learn and will follow this thread with you bud. I'm sure I will learn something as well.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    If you are going to the get the full ENO setup you are going to spend 200+ with rainfly bugnet and straps. You can get into a Hennessy Expedition for under 200 (159$). I would upgrade to the Hex fly. It also comes with straps. Maybe some of these ol timers will correct me if I am wrong, but enjoy learning with the one you have and upgrade to a Hennessy when you can. Dont get me wrong, I can't wait to use my ENO in the warmer months coming up, very very comfortable hang!

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    After looking at prices I definitely see what you guys are saying. The Hennessy is an all in one deal with the hammock, net, and fly. Whereas, ENO is all separate. So, would I be better off with say, the Hennessy scout or expedition rather then the ENO?
    Grant

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps

Get What You Pay For?

If you want a comfortable hammock for little money, try making a tablecloth hammock. My first hammock was an Eno doublenest and after making a tablecloth hammock, I wish I wouldn't have wasted my money on the Eno. It is shorter and was not near as comfortable as the tablecloth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast