DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Get What You Pay For?

Hey all, Im Grant. Im somewhat new to the hammock thing. I currently have a cheapa** walmart hammock. And when I sleep in it, I feel like Im going to fall out. I dont know if I just strung it between two trees that were too far apart or what, but the edges fall down rather than encase me (if that makes sense). Im wondering if its just because its a cheap hammock or if Im just not doing it right. anyways I want to get a better hammock and this is where the subject of this thread comes from: do you get what you pay for? the GT hammock is only about $20, the ENO SN is about $60 and other brands upwards of $100. Why is GT so cheap? are they not as durable/comfortable/ etc.? Any advise you have would be great. I know when it comes to Jeep stuff (Im an avid Jeeper, many upgrades to it) the cheaper stuff wears out faster and doesnt hold up as well to the more expensive stuff. does this also hold up to hammocks?
    Thanks in advance guys,
    Grant
    Grant

Getting lost is not a waste of time.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    If the angle of the suspension (ropes?) is less than 30*, hang it with more sag and try it out laying on a diagonal.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Yes I would say you do get what you pay for...not just in things like wear and tear but your also comparing things like where it's made, your walmart and most likely the first couple hammocks your listing are made in china in a huge factory. Many of the most popular hammocks here are made in small cottage shops one at a time not mass produced. More thought and care goes into that than just cranking out pallets worth of whatever. But moreover to awnser your questions set up could be an issue, take a few pics and post them so we can see what's going on. More than likely your looking at a fairly short and or fairly narrow hammock and that won't give you the room to lay in it the way that will be as comfortable as the more popular hammocks most use.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    For the most part, you do get what you pay for. But in the case of the GTUL, it's a great hammock. I've had one for many years and still use it from time to time. That being said.... I sure love my Lite Owl!

Your issue with the other hammock could be that you are hanging it too tight, or it could be the hammock? It's hard to say w/o more info (or even better a pic).
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Hanging correctly helps. Try this: (also on iphone) http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

However my more expensive hammocks are more comfortable. Hung the GTUL twice. it works but is the least comfortable one for me YMMV!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Re: Get What You Pay For?

I always feel like I was gonna fall out of the gtul when sleeping... I think it just has to do with width of the hammock honestly. Look up table cloth hammock for cheap alternative...

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I don't think that when it comes to a straight up nylon hammock you necessarily get what you pay for. It is a rectangular piece of nylon gathered at the ends and hung with some rope. My idiot neighbor couldn't screw that up. In shorter narrower hammock the hangle is pretty important and really does affect the feel of the lay. I have a GTUL as my napping and tv watching hammock in my cave and after I got the hang just right it was sweet.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    ... I have a GTUL as my napping and tv watching hammock in my cave and after I got the hang just right it was sweet.
    Nice! Can you share strap angle, the RL length, etc.?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images

Get What You Pay For?

I am not sure I will get to it tonight but I will try when I get a chance.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB, DangerBird, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Images
    For the record: if you think just laying in a GTUL feels cramped, try loading it with a BA insulated air paid + Marmot Helium bag... better than sleeping on the ground, but the whole rig wants to slither out like a caterpillar!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast