I did this, except I used a Dutch wasp in place of the tarp flyz. It works great and centering takes two seconds:

continuous-ridgeline-dutch-hook1.png

That's from Derek Hansen's fantastic web site: http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/v...s-with-a-tarp/

I used 30' of Zing-it with a fixed loop at either end for the ridgeline itself (one of which has the Dutch hook permanently attached). I made two 3" continuous loops from Zing-it, one with the wasp attached by the hole in the wasp's 'tail'. These loops are lark's-headed to the ridge D-rings at the ends of the tarp. This lets me easily pull the loops off my tarp so I can move the entire ridgeline setup to another tarp at will. I used the same method to attach a Tarp Flyz to each tie-out on the tarp. Then I have a set of Zing-it dogbones for guy lines. I lark's-head the guy line to the stake, then attach to the tarp at the Tarp Flyz. This lets me adjust the tension from under the tarp if it's raining. I carry 6 of the guy line dogbones: 4 x 8' and 2 x 12'. I can mix and match guy lines according to need. The 12' lines are great for porch mode or attaching to trees/bushes. Since I have 4 tie-outs on my tarp, I always have 2 dogbones left over. They can be used to extend the ridgeline, hang my pack, or whatever. Since they aren't attached to the fly when packed and are dyneema, they don't get all tangled up, and they are light enough so as to be a non-issue when it comes to weight.

I used this setup to hang my fly between 2 trees that were 30' apart and 4' in diameter on my recent PCT section-hike. I have about a dozen nights with this setup and it has been fantastically easy to use.

I hope my explanation is clear. I think I need to do a photo-layout and write-up of this on my own site. Pictures would definitely help.

As for the V for the hammock suspension to go thru, I don't think it's terribly necessary. I have found that it rarely works out all that well anyway. Often the trees are far apart enough or close together enough that the V idea doesn't really pan out geometrically. You can't always find trees at just the right distance. It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. If you have shockcord tie-outs on your hammock (for instance a HH or WBBB) you won't sway much after you stop moving anyway. On a hang between two trees really far apart I even ended up with the suspension on the outside of the V. No big deal.