Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Had a hennessy, Is Speer better?

Hi, I had a Hennessey with a JRB underquilt but never seemed to get the setup the way I wanted. So I sold everything a year ago except my RayWay quilt blanket.( my Wife and Best friend made it for me). Those of you that got a Speer, are you happy with it? Also i was looking at the Peapod for an underquilt. Thanks,
    Greg

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Hi, I had a Hennessey with a JRB underquilt but never seemed to get the setup the way I wanted. So I sold everything a year ago except my RayWay quilt blanket.( my Wife and Best friend made it for me). Those of you that got a Speer, are you happy with it? Also i was looking at the Peapod for an underquilt. Thanks,
    Greg
    Hawkeye, obviously I'm very biased, so I'll let others answer your question. But I hope you can make our HotSprings NC hangout Apr 24-26 or one of the other hammock gatherings that are so popular now. They are a great way to test various hammocks & see which one works best for you. The Hot Springs campout can be found on this forum: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6922
    Ed Speer (NotToWorry)
    Co-Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
    Author, Hammock Camping book
    Moderator, Yahoo Hammock Camping List

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Greg
    I don't have a Speer but many here do and seem satisfied (everyone is different)
    I felt like you (wasn't really satisfied with my HH) so I tried a Claytor Jungle (big improvement), now a Warbonnet Blackbird (HUGE improvement again). I have made 2 different DIY hammocks (and I liked both of those better than my HH)...see any trend?
    Again, your results might vary. Like Ed said, you need to try and see...if you don't like it, sell it on here (shouldn't be much of a pentalty)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i started out with hennessey hammocks,i really love my claytor jungle hammockneo
    the matrix has you

Images
    I'm fine with my HHULEXP, though I won't say it is my overall favorite. I probably continue using it as much because of the Super Shelter as any other reason. And on my back, I feel it is as comfortable as any other gathered end hammock. Some other hammocks seem better for side position, though. And of course, it is not top loading and the net is not removable ( barring customizing) and that is important to many, though at least a few actually prefer HH style entry.

The Speer is fine and has removable net, and so is the Claytor No Net which has excellent over all comfort( but of course no net!), and both work great with the PeaPod, which is one of several excellent approaches to keeping warm. The PeaPod simply always works ( for me) if used as directed and within it's specified range. Or, with some very simple tricks or additions, way beyond it's stated range.

A WB BB is a great hammock, superbly made and very comfy, and will work with a PeaPod, but not quite as well as with the above listed hammocks. The right side "wall" of the hammock kind of gets in the PeaPods way, but not a big deal especially if you will also use a light summer top quilt, as is also needed at rated temps with the Speer. But then again, a WB UQ will work perfectly with it. And a JRB MWUQ works just fine with it also.

And then there is the JRB BMBH, one heck of a comfortable hammock, whether on your back or on your side, IMO. But if you are extra big and wide in the shoulders, you might not like it. I am 6'1" and 205-210 lbs (depends on time of year!), and I am fine in it. But a PeaPod will never work with it. But a pad will work better than with probably any other hammock, or a JRB MWUQ will be virtually a custom fit with almost no learning curve. I assume the other JRB quilts would work about as well, but I have no experience with them.

None of that really helps make a decision, I guess! That's why I have them all, I can't hardly decide between their pros and cons! There are several excellent choices among the above.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It's all really a matter of opinion, but MHO is that the Speer type hammocks are easier to deal with, being top loaders. Easier to get in and out of, easier to reach gear, easier to cook from, etc. The HH entry slit got old.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 02-03-2009 at 15:00.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Hennessey is the most common "gateway drug" of the hammock community. A lot of people start with a Hennessey, then move on to more "satisfying" hammocks. Some people are content with the "hang" they get from their Hennessey, and never experiment further. But even a bad day in a Hennessey is better than a good day on the ground.

I prefer a Speer over a Hennessey and would rather support Ed, but that is because Ed's a good and interesting person and I've never met Tom.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I prefer a Speer over a Hennessey and would rather support Ed, but that is because Ed's a good and interesting person and I've never met Tom.
    I second that!!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hennessey is the most common "gateway drug" of the hammock community. A lot of people start with a Hennessey, then move on to more "satisfying" hammocks. Some people are content with the "hang" they get from their Hennessey, and never experiment further. But even a bad day in a Hennessey is better than a good day on the ground.

I sent an Email to Speer hammocks and Ed wrote me back away. Looks like I'll have to save up for a Speer!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

your right dude,sleeping on the ground sucks lolneo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast