Hammock
    HH HyperLite w/ Zipper Mod#2
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4

Hammock in heavy mist/fog

Hello all -

I have been sleeping in a hennessy hyperlite hammock with zipper mod#2 and a MacCat Deluxe in Spintex on my AT thru hike for 3 months now. I experienced a problem the other night for the first time. I set up on a rainy night and then later a heavy fog / mist came in. The fog was so heavy that it was condensing on one side of my bug netting and then running down inside my hammock. I woke up with a wet bottom. Now I haven't been using the HH head and foot guyouts. To get around this problem I staked out the HH foot guyout and kept my feet to the left. This pulled the hammock material down below the underquilt creating a pocket for the water to go into. Then I would occasionally soak it up.

Has anyone else had this problem? I wasn't sure if it was related to the bug netting modification. I did lower the tarp as much as possible when this stated but it only seemed to slow it slightly.

Thanks for any ideas!
    Hiking On - Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Man I wish I had magic words of wisdom for you; I don't. I had the pleasure of about a week of that weather when I was leaving Georgia for the no-switchback world of NC. Try to keep your tarp low and tight and with a wall facing the rolling fog. Not much you can do except look for sunshine the next day to dry your gear.

Just think, in a few months you'll be thinking how great all this was...in hindsight.
    Trust nobody!

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    yep, been there, nope, not much you can do. I would think something like the JRB hammock hut would be the most effective?? Maybe?

Like Cannibal said, hope for some sun to dry you out and know you'll be laughing about it one day.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    If the temps aren't too high you can put a Hennessy overcover on it.
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spogatz View Post
    If the temps aren't too high you can put a Hennessy overcover on it.
    Yeah, after I posted I thought about using a sock, but you'd probably be hot and that would create other condensation issues.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Just wait till you get freezing fog. I was out hunting and using a tent at the time and when I went to bed the air was just floating with little tiny beads of water that froze the instant they touched anything. There was nothing to be done to keep them out. I woke up the next morning wet, since my body heat was enough to let them soak into my sleeping gear, with frozen dew everywhere else and my netting was like concrete. My gazebo I had put up to stay dry was frozen so solid from it that it would stand up without the poles. Freezing fog. Just when I thought I had weathered the winter storm.... freezing fog.

Not much you can do when the air is just soaked with moisture.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Can you sew scupper holes in a hammock?

Thumbs up

Hey guys,

I'm new here but thought I would chime in. I've just ordered the Hennessy Explorer deluxe (I'm 6'4" 265 pounds).

Anyway while not familiar with the misting problem, I have spent several instances in tents that leak...badly.

My solution is a military sleeping bag system with the GORTEX outer shell.
    I never go camping without it. I can be sleeping in a puddle of cold water and be dry and warm. I bought mine from a co worker that didn't realize the value of it. I paid $25.

The cheapest system like it I've found so far is here.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=333009

If I ever wear this one out I would happily pay twice the going rate for another!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billslade View Post
    Hello all -

I have been sleeping in a hennessy hyperlite hammock with zipper mod#2 and a MacCat Deluxe in Spintex on my AT thru hike for 3 months now. I experienced a problem the other night for the first time. I set up on a rainy night and then later a heavy fog / mist came in. The fog was so heavy that it was condensing on one side of my bug netting and then running down inside my hammock. I woke up with a wet bottom. Now I haven't been using the HH head and foot guyouts. To get around this problem I staked out the HH foot guyout and kept my feet to the left. This pulled the hammock material down below the underquilt creating a pocket for the water to go into. Then I would occasionally soak it up.

Has anyone else had this problem? I wasn't sure if it was related to the bug netting modification. I did lower the tarp as much as possible when this stated but it only seemed to slow it slightly.

Thanks for any ideas!
    Hiking On - Bill
    Wow, that sounds like a tough problem to deal with. This might(maybe) be one of those areas that I have always thought the Super Shelter would perform well in. Especially with the overcover addition.

I can't see where a tarp would help with this unless it was big enough to surround the hammock all the way to the ground and close on the ends, and then condensation probably would be another problem. But I'm just guessing about all of the above. I have no real experience with a soaking fog in a hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Just wait till you get freezing fog. I was out hunting and using a tent at the time and when I went to bed the air was just floating with little tiny beads of water that froze the instant they touched anything. There was nothing to be done to keep them out. I woke up the next morning wet, since my body heat was enough to let them soak into my sleeping gear, with frozen dew everywhere else and my netting was like concrete. My gazebo I had put up to stay dry was frozen so solid from it that it would stand up without the poles. Freezing fog. Just when I thought I had weathered the winter storm.... freezing fog.

Not much you can do when the air is just soaked with moisture.
    That's the kind of stuff we used to get in the Salt Lake Valley. 10*F with water hanging in the air and 5 ft visability! How can water hang in 10* air with out freezing and falling out?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast