Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    If you go the UQ route and don't DIY, watch for Paul @ Arrowhead Equipment to have a sale on the Jarbridge UQ's. I got mine for $80 I think and with it and a Thermarest sit pad got down to 27*. Not bad I don't think since Paul rates the UQ at 30*.

Plus, depending on how tall your kids are, the Jarbridge may work like a full length quilt for them.

Other than that, learn to sew and start looking around. So many good people are on here and are more than willing to help.

Good luck!

Kirk

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    You can also pick up GT's Skeeter Beater Pro with the integrated bug net for something like 70 bucks.

Images
    Friend I am in the same boat as you. I have a son - 11 and daughter - 8. We have a couple cubs and an Expedition (in case mom wants to come or another adult comes along). These really fit the bill for the reasons stated above.

The insulation can be expensive. I went the route of a closed cell polyethylene plank (measured 48" x 108" x .5") for $26, cut it into 30" widths giving me three pads for bottom insulation and we use sleeping bags as TQs when it's cold. This will be our first summer in the hammocks so we're a work in progress for insulation, etc.

It just takes time and money. It is so worth the time I get to spend with my kids making memories.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Quote Originally Posted by IHover View Post
    I have three kids and was worried when they ALL wanted hammocks about a year ago. They are 11, 11 and 14.

I considered the DIY route, but like you, I then thought about tarps, bug nets, etc.

My solution: 3 HH Scout Zips. $100 each. Comes with everything... hammock, bug net, tarp, straps, snake skins and a convenient little bag! The only other thing they needed was a pair of tent stakes each.

As far as insulation, we have been down to upper 30s with nothing more than a sleeping bag and a blanket. All of us do prefer to sleep a little on the cold side though.

We call this the Motel4:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...1&d=1363963273

That is what worked (and still does) for me/us.

Good luck!
    I second the Hennessy Scout. Bought one for my son's 12th birthday in October. Has the fly, built in bugnet, etc., for a very reasonable price. I am an REI member, so I used my 20% coupon and dividend, and brought the price much lower. Just no snake skins when you buy from REI.

EDIT: apparently many others agree with the HH Scout!
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing

Family hammock camping

Very good thread. I have 4 kids and several friends I need to buy for. Just getting started myself. I bought a HH Expedition and got a free cub with fly and net with zipper. I am not sure if HH has any of the cubs left. It fits my 8 and 10 year old just fine up to 120 I think. I too must figure out how to do multiple hammock rigs. Keep the ideas coming. I have 2 DIY tablecloth and will probably do about 4 more. I have to figure out the bug net and tarp.

Outfitting a family of 4, need help!

Since jumping into this hammock thing last Fall, I have gotten two used HH Expeditions and one JH Scout for my kids on the For Sale forums. I like the all in one aspect and simplicity. One additional advantage of built in netting for kids is it holds everything in and nothing falls out. Have made two PLUQs and two JCP puffer UQs. That along with my DB we are ready for the Spring MAHHA.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12