So right now I have 2 hammocks
    WBBB DL 1.0
    ENO DoubleNest (also have net for it)

2 tarps
    OES MacCat
    OES 4 Season

1 UQ
    WB 3 Season Yeti

Now we have reached a point where all 4 family members (wife, 2 kids) want to go on the boundary waters trip and all of them want to hang. Kids are 10 and 7 right now.

On average we will be taking 1 family trip per year, I also tend to take 1-2 other trips during the year some times taking a kid. Average low temp on our big trip is around 35F.

Part of me says make 2 gathered end hammocks and buy some bug nets for the kids. But then you have $120-130 in bug nets (which after dealing with the ENO versus the WBBB I hate stand alone nets). Could just get 2 more WBBB's single 1.7 on sale now. But what about insulation? Spending $$$$$ on 3 UQ's seems nuts. Oh and then lets not forget the tarps!

What about double hanging under a single tarp? If the kid is on the higher hammock that could increase warmth to avoid need for so much UQ action. Prior trips I just used a sleeping bag + air mattress in ENO and it worked fine.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeller View Post
    But then you have $120-130 in bug nets. Oh and then lets not forget the tarps!
    Thoughts?
    If you can sew at all, fronkeys bug net looks easy. You don't have to spend a lot on material either. Go to Wal-Mart, in the curtain section look for "mainstay" brand sheers. You will need two panels. They are 59x84" ea. Sew them together and put a shock cord in the bottom. It will only cost about $12 to make a bug net.

As far as tarp...a cheap brown or blue tarp is only about $8

I bought a tablecloth from www.tableclothfactory.com for about $12 for my daughters hammock

Amsteel is about .23c per ft.

This is very doable.

Keeping warm is another thing. I'm still working on that myself. Currently I'm borrowing an underquilt from a friend and it's really making me want one. I made a PLUQ and it's ok but a nice full length uq...awesome.

Good luck, hope this helps

JoJo
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

I have three kids and was worried when they ALL wanted hammocks about a year ago. They are 11, 11 and 14.

I considered the DIY route, but like you, I then thought about tarps, bug nets, etc.

My solution: 3 HH Scout Zips. $100 each. Comes with everything... hammock, bug net, tarp, straps, snake skins and a convenient little bag! The only other thing they needed was a pair of tent stakes each.

As far as insulation, we have been down to upper 30s with nothing more than a sleeping bag and a blanket. All of us do prefer to sleep a little on the cold side though.

We call this the Motel4:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...1&d=1363963273

That is what worked (and still does) for me/us.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings

If you are going to do the DIY route for the kids hammocks, I would suggest looking at the Fronkey Bug Net design, or this one from Hangnout. They are pretty simple to make.

As for tarps, you can pickup any inexpensive polyurethane coated tarps (Kelty Noah, Guide Gear, Chinook, etc). Or just use the standard hardware store blue poly tarp. As for insulation, CCF (closed cell foam) will do the job if you are only going out a couple times a season.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    I don't know if I found this video here on the forums or just stumbled across it, but either way I bookmarked this sucker. It shows how to hang in tandem so you can share a tarp.

Because I'm not smart enough to get the video to embed click here

I think he also goes over a DIY bugnet or 2 used for the kiddos.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Wally World has single nest hammocks for $24.00 with a weight rating of 200 lbs.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Quote Originally Posted by IHover View Post
    I have three kids and was worried when they ALL wanted hammocks about a year ago. They are 11, 11 and 14.

I considered the DIY route, but like you, I then thought about tarps, bug nets, etc.

My solution: 3 HH Scout Zips. $100 each. Comes with everything... hammock, bug net, tarp, straps, snake skins and a convenient little bag! The only other thing they needed was a pair of tent stakes each.

As far as insulation, we have been down to upper 30s with nothing more than a sleeping bag and a blanket. All of us do prefer to sleep a little on the cold side though.

We call this the Motel4:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...1&d=1363963273

That is what worked (and still does) for me/us.

Good luck!
    I really like those scout zips! I think you sold me. So 2 Scout zips, 1 WBBB (the wife said she wouldn't sleep in the ENO, apparently I oversold the WBBB when i bought it) and 1 more UQ (likely another Winter Yeti). I can make due with sleeping bags/etc for the kids insulation.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/SSniveller
    Suspension
    Tri-Glide Set
    Have you considered renting? For a once a year trip, it might make sense. There are surely other outfitters renting hammocks, as well.
    Still shakin' it Boss, still shakin' it.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have two kids, ages 7 and 11, and I've been slowly acquiring gear as I have money and/or find deals, so I know your position.

I think the Hennessy Scout route is great for kids. I bought one for my youngest and she loves it.
    Lightweight, quality insulation seems to be the most expensive part. Luckily, they dont go with me in the winter months, so I can get by with less in that category.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Pads work great for kids.

Lookup "Poncho Liner Underquilt" For $30 you can make kid-sized full-lenth UQ's for $30 ea... they're good to about 45 degrees. Ikea has cheap comforters (<$10.) you can make the equivalent to a PLUQ for $20 ea.)

+1 on a large poly tarp.
    For kids, Mule tape makes great suspension. I get it free...

+1 on the Table cloth hammock.

Can you sew? you can DIY most of this stuff dirt cheap.
    PM Me your address and I'll send you some mule tape.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeller View Post
    I really like those scout zips! I think you sold me. So 2 Scout zips, 1 WBBB (the wife said she wouldn't sleep in the ENO, apparently I oversold the WBBB when i bought it) and 1 more UQ (likely another Winter Yeti). I can make due with sleeping bags/etc for the kids insulation.
    Good idea! We got the boys 15, 13, and 8 all HH for Christmas/Birthday Presents. The older boys can go all year round with Thermarest pads under them and extra clothes, the youngest hasn't backpacked in the cold yet, so uses a VERY warm and heavy blanket when cold weather car camping. Found some great 20* bags on sale and made fleece liners from old fleece blankets to extend them. So far its been great. We've ungraded a few things, and our oldest now wants a DIY since he's seen mine. HH is such a great way to start as a family.

Have fun and share those trip reports! I love seeing families going out together!
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast