Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Genuine Draft just brought up a very good point. She doesn't want to wear it for fear of damaging it by catching on a branch, sitting on a log, etc. She's the boss and it's her quilt, so no head hole.

Now the 3 season quilt I'll be making for me with the extra down, pretty sure that's getting a head hole. I'll just have to be brave.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I haven't tried it yet but given the difficulties I've had with slick fabrics sliding around I am going to use dissolving tape to temporarily hold seams while sewing them on my next tarp. It's a double-sided tape that dissolves in water. Here's one kind, I believe there are others.
    Just a thought.
    -Redtail

I made the thru-hiker Liberty Ridge Shell and pants using Momentum90. I find it easier to sew than silnylon. The one thing about it is the static is really extreme when you first start to work with it. I can't imagine stuffing the down into the baffles with all that static.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I can't imagine stuffing the down into the baffles with all that static.
    I think the static helps when stuffing the down! On the jacket I made, I used the vacuum cleaner transfer method after measuring the down for each chamber out into a plastic container. When removing the vacuum cleaner wand, the charged momentum held on to the down and it was really easy to get the last little pieces stuck to the wand into the jacket.

On a quilt, I would probably not use the vacuum cleaner to transfer the down and would probably go with the ziploc bags again.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I made the thru-hiker Liberty Ridge Shell and pants using Momentum90. I find it easier to sew than silnylon. The one thing about it is the static is really extreme when you first start to work with it. I can't imagine stuffing the down into the baffles with all that static.
    That is terrible bad news! This is a high dessert; very arid. Static is just one of those things you deal with here. Guess I'll move the humidifier down in the basement for this project.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I think the static helps when stuffing the down! On the jacket I made, I used the vacuum cleaner transfer method after measuring the down for each chamber out into a plastic container. When removing the vacuum cleaner wand, the charged momentum held on to the down and it was really easy to get the last little pieces stuck to the wand into the jacket.

On a quilt, I would probably not use the vacuum cleaner to transfer the down and would probably go with the ziploc bags again.
    That's better news. Ziplocs, really? I guess that would be an easy way to get your measured down piles for each baffle. Hmmmm.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    ... It's just sewing on $15/yard fabric that has me a bit concerned. I've sewn sil before with decent results, so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Restrictions on the adult beverages is going to be the really hard part; it's the only thing that makes me feel manly when running my thread injector.
    Its only money... If you mess up, you can just pull the stitching out and start over. That will leave a line of tiny holes, but it isn't too bad... trust me, it isn't too noticeable

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Its only money... If you mess up, you can just pull the stitching out and start over. That will leave a line of tiny holes, but it isn't too bad... trust me, it isn't too noticeable
    Well, I guess it's nice to know I'll be in good company. BTW, how funny is it that someone with the username "tight-wad" begins the post with "Its only money..."
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    It's not that bad. In fact it's good because that static helps (only a little bit) to tame the loose down.

That reminds me... I had to use a cold iron (actually it has to be "warm") to completely flatten the material for measuring. Again, on a big project small discrepancies add up. On my Liberty Ridge set, I could not lay out all the pieces on the given fabric and make it fit. After ironing the fabric it all fit.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Well, I guess it's nice to know I'll be in good company. BTW, how funny is it that someone with the username "tight-wad" begins the post with "Its only money..."
    As long as it's your money and not mine

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast