DIY "Dirty Bridge"
    Tarp
    DIY "Snow Camel"
    Insulation
    DIY "Dirty Quilt"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    In the hammock, its more about the high level of frustration of getting into and zipping up and getting out of said zipped bag while in the hammock. Why pay an additional weight penalty for the privilege of having that frustration?!?
    I've been using a SB in a hammock since I started hammock camping/hiking (close to two years ago) and after the first few trips and a little advice, have had no issues. Sure it's a bit frustrating if you do it wrong but if you get in the bag then in the hammock it's not too bad.

I'm not a gram counter by any means so the added weight means nothing to me, the pack size is what I care about and this bag meets the requirement.

I still don't see any valid reason to not use it as a TQ when I want too. The zipper, as mentioned, can be a bit bothersome but it's not a nail in the coffin by any means.

Also, how much did your cottage 750 FP UQ cost? I would have to estimate for versatility and price point the Kelty SB was a better deal for me.
    If at first you don't succeed...
    You're doing it wrong

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I have quality down sleeping bags that:

1. Cost less than a topquilt
    2. Weigh the same or less
    3. Have more versatility being a full featured bag

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest and Reactor
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Thermarest and bag
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Pros to the TQ is that there is less material and generally no zipper. Those who count grams tend to cut out zippers from sleeping bags that have them anyway. Top quilts are also as easy to get into as a mostly unzipped sleeping bag. The biggest con in my opinion is that there is generally not enough material in a TQ to wrap yourself easily up in it. Its like a narrow blanket and if you toss and turn a lot you may find yourself with gaps that cold air can get into.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y_hubs View Post
    The main issue I have with my sleeping bag is bulk.
    Same here...
    My Cat's meow is about the size of a basketball when squashed into its compression sack. My top quilt is half the size. Maybe soccer ball sized?

Of course, one is down and the other synthetic, so there are advantages/disadvantages to each. The top quilt is also about a pound lighter.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    HH D-Explorer Asym, ENO D-nest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas

Jerven

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    (...)
    in summer I'll just use my Jerven bag as a sleeping bag/TQ.
    Which Jerven have you got? Have you tested the insulated ones as UQ, or only been using the standard ones as TQ? Any tips on how to attach an insulated version as UQ to a hammock?
    I love a good nights sleep as well as anybody - I just love mine elevated...

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post

Sorry, but I find this hard to believe.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A lot of manufacturers will put less insulation in the underside of a bag. So when you are laying under it as a quilt one side will have less warmth then the other. I use a 50 degree bag in the warmer months and it has this issue.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    For a gathered end, the sleeping bag kept falling off the other side

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post

+1
    I agree heartily with #1 and #3. Just zip it up a bit, shove my feet in and use like a TQ in the hammock. And there's extra insulation to use around my head/cover my shoulders.

These days, I mostly kayak camp (weight doesn't matter much), so I want to keep the option of sleeping on the ground - carry a tarp and sometimes even a tent besides the hammock setup. Sleeping bag is versatile enough to do double duty. (Under the hammock, a pad, so set there for the ground as well..)

Hammock
    HH D-Explorer Asym, ENO D-nest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas

Advantage of top quilt over a sleeping bag?

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    +1
    These days, I mostly kayak camp (weight doesn't matter much), so I want to keep the option of sleeping on the ground - carry a tarp and sometimes even a tent besides the hammock setup. Sleeping bag is versatile enough to do double duty. (Under the hammock, a pad, so set there for the ground as well..)
    A bit off topic, but..,
    What kayak do you have? How do you pack your kit when kayak camping? All into storage rooms, or some strapped on top of the deck?

My sleeping bag takes most of the space in the rear storage of my Necky Elaho. I have not tried to travel with a bag on the deck yet, but think I may have to as space is required for other kit. Buying another sleeping bag is not an option yet, as I have not found any that is as wide inside as the one I've got.

Back on topic...
    I've been hanging out mostly 3-season, and then I've used mostly my sleeping bag only. Open on top when warm - possibly with a fleece quilt to get some added warmth. Clothing in the bag - t-shirt and underpants only.

Took my ENO to test some low temperatures last winter (coldest -10 Celsius, just minor draft of wind), and made a setup using my Jerven King Size with 60g/m2 PrimaLoft wadding.

After a couple of trial/error runs and CBS (Cold Buttock Syndrome) I found a setup that worked for me. I made the Jerven King Size into a tube around the hammock. I used a rope to tie the top end shut above my head, and made a pulley system to pull the lower end down and up making a folded end. The pulley was necessary as I am entering the ENO from the side. With the HH I may be able to ditch parts if this setup as it has a bottom entrance. Will try that coming winter.

Sorry guys - no pics... Was not documenting anything for sharing at the time. Will do wetter next time.

So, no TQ - only sleeping bag for me for now at least. Playing with the RQ (round quilt)...
    I love a good nights sleep as well as anybody - I just love mine elevated...

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234