DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

My DIY progress for four

Well I started looking into hammocking last year and made one of the DIY HH's that is on the board. and well wanted to share my story and progress into the world of hanging for my family. Well after making the one hammock last year and selling the wife and kids on the idea of comfort of the hammock vs the tent (well the hammock has been hanging in my kids room for about a half a year and they take turns every night sleeping in it) it has finally come time to make the whole family gear so this thread will be an on going DIY of making 4 hammock setups for my wife, 2 boys ( 7 and 9), and me. So making this many hammocks on a single income family budget that make enough to not get government aid, but not enough to do what we want all the time compromises will be made and it will probably take me about a month to complete them all which by then the weather here in TN should be perfect for hanging out. Please Keep in mind this is for car camping as of now with the future of hiking in mind. So yes my gear is going to weigh more than some will like and more than I will like but as time goes it will get upgraded and improved.

So on to the goodies I already have and the party with my old singer I am about to start.

TreeHuggers:
    This is what I have for them... I know 1 1/4 polyester is over kill but will work just fine. Going for a final length of 6-7 foot a strap
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-16-ft...9#.UU4oiDeiL8g

As for attaching the whoopie slings to the webbing I got these which weigh in at 1.2 ounces each... which I think is still over kill but for some reason I just can't seem to trust that marlin spike even though it works for many people that weigh more than I do.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lehigh-88...9#.UU4pPjeiL8g

Whoopie Slings:
    7/64 Amsteel Blue in the flavor of black which is more of a dark grey My slings have a min. length of 16 inches and a max of 9 feet ( again I know is over kill but I can shorten them easily after I convince myself this is to much)In the picture their is 6 slings already made in the pile. the other two are already on one hammock.

Structural Ridgeline:
    I have the Amsteel Blue left for the 4 of these and I plan on having and adjustment from 85 - 110 inches which my hammocks are 120 inches so 83 percent should be 99ish inches so this will give everyone enough adjusting I think. the pic is about 80 feet of amsteel will make these tonight

Hammock Body:
    JoAnn's Ripstop which from researching it is 1.9 ripstop. Today I got the wifes and the oldest boys colors since I had two 40 percent off coupons and can only use them once on the transaction. tomorrow I am going to go back and get my youngest son's colors and mine with the same coupons LOL.

Top Quilts:
    Well for now I have to do my best on this part. and have made one this way so far. So pretty much I go to goodwill on the first Saturday of the month and look for sleeping bags. this month I scored a 30 degree bag for 10 bucks in new condition and re-purpose it to this. Check out my noob stitch skills. lol

Under Quilt:
    Same As above with the goodwill scores. This is two I am in the middle of made from one bag. Still need to channel them and shock cord them. they are 65" x 37"

Bugnet:
    Are still to come. but looked a tulle today but don't think it will hold up to the kids but at a dollar a yard kinda worth trying at least one

Tarps:
    Are still to come.

I hope this helps others on a budget. and will update with pics my progress as they get built and supplies are purchased.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As for the quick link has anyone ever used one of them on a hammock suspension yet? I haven't ran across any yet but with a load strength of 880#s for 2.50 it was a lot cheaper than a biner of that strength.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Sounds like you are making good progress. I just love Goodwill! Some people have made Fronkey-type bug nets using two sheer curtains. You might be able to find those cheaply at a garage sale.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have seen the certain net videos and have them in mind too.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by TN Cereal Killa View Post
    As for the quick link has anyone ever used one of them on a hammock suspension yet? I haven't ran across any yet but with a load strength of 880#s for 2.50 it was a lot cheaper than a biner of that strength.
    I used them on my TD stand for a week or so. The only thing you absolutely must do is make sure you close the gate. You will experience warp or failure from what I've heard if you don't. I always closed mine so I have no personal experience with that, but they do work.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Still deciding
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TN Cereal Killa View Post
    I have seen the certain net videos and have them in mind too.
    I would definitely consider doing a DIY bugnet.
    Here's a link to a thread I had about doing my own:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69813
    The bugnet was SUPER easy and it was my first ever sewing job.
    I'm even considering doing another and giving one to a friend of mine.
    There's also some mention of a tarp failure but we won't really talk about that though.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyaker View Post
    I would definitely consider doing a DIY bugnet.
    Here's a link to a thread I had about doing my own:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69813
    The bugnet was SUPER easy and it was my first ever sewing job.
    I'm even considering doing another and giving one to a friend of mine.
    There's also some mention of a tarp failure but we won't really talk about that though.
    Oh I am doing bug nets just still haven't mad up my mind on whick one to tackle yet lol. But I always heard go reviews from the certain ones as to where I hear mixed reviews on the tulle ones. So that will probably be the option I go with.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    I used them on my TD stand for a week or so. The only thing you absolutely must do is make sure you close the gate. You will experience warp or failure from what I've heard if you don't. I always closed mine so I have no personal experience with that, but they do work.
    cool glad to hear they work. and why would someone not take the 5 seconds to lock down the nut?LOL

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Okay just did one side of my tree hugger... would you trust it? the stitching is 5 inches long. i read on here that long stitching is stronger that going across so this is a hybrid. i hooked it to my pull up bar and can bounce on it no problem

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    just got done with the first one completely and it ended up at 6' 6" So I think I am good to go with that size in TN. hell that can wrap a tree with a 24" diameter.

Now I have seven more to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast