Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Love my BB, like my RR (want to give it some more time to get used to) so far. But if I was buying over I'd pick up an XLC, looks tasty!
    Please enter your signature here.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Great thread!!

I don't recall a better one on hammock comfort over two years (of reading too many.)

Maybe everybody was following a high standard set by early replies, and maybe its because the hammocks are from a genuine designer who put a lot of R&D into both.

The care taken in being specific about sleeping positions, and suggestions on pad use will be useful for a long time. Would be worth a "Sticky" as a model, even if both hammocks were out of production.

Thank you all.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerman_27410 View Post
    > Obviously using the mat fully inflated comes with the associated decrease in primary stability but i dont suffer from seasickness and have found the secondary stability to remain outstanding.
    I'm familiar with the concept of primary and secondary stability in canoes and kayaks, but can you explain what you mean with regard to hammocks?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've had both, liked the BB better. Wore out the BB over a three year period. The foot box helped a lot in the comfort department. I also liked the built in bug net as opposed to having a separate bugnet for the RR. If I were ordering from WB now, like others have said, I'd probably go for the XLC.

Do yourself a favor and also look at Dream Hammocks. You have more fabric choices. WB has two choices, Dream Hammocks has a dozen different choices.

EDIT: Boy, did I get this wrong. I was comparing the Traveler to the BB, not the Ridge Runner. I've only tried a bridge hammock once and it probably wasn't a WarBonnett. I felt a little shoulder squeeze with it and have never considered one since.
    Last edited by bear bag hanger; 05-01-2013 at 06:34. Reason: made big mistake!

^^ The Ridgerunners bugnet is integrated like the BB's, just unzips all the way instead halfway like the BB.

What he meant by primary stability is your high inside the hammock. With spreader bars they're already more tippy, but inserting an inflated bag into the sleeve raises you up closer to the spreader bar plain and the closer to that, the more unstable you are in the hammock.

I've found a full inflated 3" pad to cause minimal instability, not enough for it to factor into any decision about hammock or insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    I'm familiar with the concept of primary and secondary stability in canoes and kayaks, but can you explain what you mean with regard to hammocks?

I guess i'm using the terms exactly the same way i would when talking about canoes or kayaks too......

primary for me is how it feels movng my weight side to side right off center and how long it will continue to rock even after i have been still for awhile.

Like sitting on a seat instead of kneeling in a white water canoe with a lot of rocker.

Secondary is when i roll all the way to one side of the hammock and still dont fall out....

its really not that bad and would never make me not use the pad.... i honestly sleep as well in the RR as i do in my bed at home.
    Last edited by Racerman_27410; 05-01-2013 at 00:10.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Did another back yard overnighter in the RR to see how my 47"x20" Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad would perform. Amazingly comfortable with little to no shifting as long as I put my weight on it when entering / before trying to move around. I'd want a pad like this for temps probably below mid-30sF, so I'm not sure if this narrow pad with wings would do. I was definitely encouraged enough to know that, for comfort an air pad is REAL nice. Definitely moved the center of gravity, though, so I'm not sure I'd want a thicker pad than 2.5". I probably won't test a wider pad until late next fall.

Hey, Slo ... do you have any problems with instability with your 2.8" thick Exped? I suspect you don't inflate it all the way, but how's the stability of your RR when you move around with the Exped pad?

Looking forward to spending some time in the XLC this weekend, but I can't imagine that it's going to outperform the RR for my needs. It'd be cool to be surprised, though.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchCinch
    Can the BB's bugnet be moved out of the way?
    Monday

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you."

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    Did another back yard overnighter in the RR to see how my 47"x20" Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad would perform. Amazingly comfortable with little to no shifting as long as I put my weight on it when entering / before trying to move around. I'd want a pad like this for temps probably below mid-30sF, so I'm not sure if this narrow pad with wings would do. I was definitely encouraged enough to know that, for comfort an air pad is REAL nice. Definitely moved the center of gravity, though, so I'm not sure I'd want a thicker pad than 2.5". I probably won't test a wider pad until late next fall.

Hey, Slo ... do you have any problems with instability with your 2.8" thick Exped? I suspect you don't inflate it all the way, but how's the stability of your RR when you move around with the Exped pad?

Looking forward to spending some time in the XLC this weekend, but I can't imagine that it's going to outperform the RR for my needs. It'd be cool to be surprised, though.
    I sometimes use a full size NeoAir Xlite. I usually only partially inflate it and find it to be very stable once I lay down. Really...the only time I find the Ridgerunner the least bit unstable is when I sit up in it. Even then, it's nothing to be concerned about. You get used to it and adjust real quick.

Miguel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    ^^ The Ridgerunners bugnet is integrated like the BB's, just unzips all the way instead halfway like the BB.

What he meant by primary stability is your high inside the hammock. With spreader bars they're already more tippy, but inserting an inflated bag into the sleeve raises you up closer to the spreader bar plain and the closer to that, the more unstable you are in the hammock.

I've found a full inflated 3" pad to cause minimal instability, not enough for it to factor into any decision about hammock or insulation.
    The outer layer of the double is cut with a differential so the pad doesn't raise you up/so you don't feel the pad as much. It will depend on thickness of the pad to some degree. You shouldn't be able to feel the pad at all if it's up to around 2" thick, beyond that you probably would feel it some, but there should be a signifigant difference in "feel" between putting a thick pad in a single layer vs the sleeve of a double. With the pad in the sleeve, it shouldn't lift you up nearly as much as if you lay directly on the pad in a single.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast