WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

For those who own or have owned a Blackbird AND Ridgerunner

I'm in the process of selecting a hammock. I went to a local hang today, but by the time I arrived (1330), everyone but one Blackbird owner had already departed. I had hoped to see both a BB and a RR.

So, before I decide to take Brandon's suggestion and order one of each and return the one I decide against, I thought I'd ask a question or two of those of you who have experience with both ...

When you are using your RR, what do you miss about your BB? And when you are using your BB, what do you miss about your RR?

Which do you find better for sleeping on your back? I sleep, mainly, on my back, but move from my back to either side after the pressure/soreness in my upper back (between my shoulders) wakes me up.

Which do you find better for sleeping on your sides? I don't last long after shifting from my back to either side, because of bad shoulders which usually ache anyway, but especially after the pressure of lying on them for a while.

Comments/insights appreciated.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    When in the RR I miss the ridgeline and the RR makes you work for getting your tarp set without the spreaders rubbing against your tarp (but it is possible to do... you just have to work your system out). After a little bit of figuring and adjusting I got my UQ figured out and now it is quicker to put on my RR than my BB (but not a lot quicker).

When in the BB I miss the flat, spaciousness, comfort of the RR. My BB is very comfortable and a bit better for side sleeping (sort of) but the RR is very comfy. I also miss the clear view out the sides of the RR and the bug netting that can be rolled up and out of the way.

My BB is my backpacking hammock... period. It works amazingly well as my backpacking hammock and is very comfortable, light, easy to set up, and it feels like home in the woods. My RR is a bit more comfortable but is more of a camping hammock or for short hikes (it s slightly heavier, has the spreader bars that you have to pack, and has the tarp issue which seems to require a slightly larger tarp. It is also a great hammock to let a newbie sleep in because you don't need to figure out a way to lay that is comfortable.

That's just my take on it...

Dave

P.S. I find them both great for sleeping on your back and generally prefer to sleep on my side in my BB because the RR has the side structural pieces that feel hard if you are trying to curl up in fetal position. But if you don't pull your knees up that isn't an issue and I've already found ways of pulling my knees up in the RR that are fairly comfortable.
    Last edited by samsara; 03-23-2013 at 21:24.
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have 4 1.7 dbl's that our family uses and I tried a RR a few times. For ME the RR wasn't everything I hoped it would be. The first night was awesome but it took alot of messing with to get it in the sweet spot for comfort and I never got it back to the comfort that I had set up the first time. That being said I have also ordered a 1.1 dbl BB and a 1.1 xlc dbl. I'm wanting to start backpacking and hope going to the 1.1 will lighten my load in my pack.

I haven't owned a BB but I've tried one out a couple times. It's a very comfortable hammock. However, the Ridgerunner is like sleeping on a floating bed. If you set up correctly I should say. I haven't had an issue sticking between 25 and 30* angle. I move comfortably from side to back to side. Do miss the ridgeline but with all the space in the saddle bags and the head pocket, I've found the only thing I miss hanging is my headlamp. But as far as comfort. I've never come across a hammock this comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    The RR is my goto hammock, and I also have a BB xlc. I like the ridge runner better. It is only just a little heavier than the BB, but it is more comfortable than my bed! When I am in the RR. all that I miss about the blackbird is...hmmm. well, the BB is easier to set up and weighs a little less. You can negate this by using you hiking poles as spreader bars and a few other tricks. In my blackbird xlc, it is very comfortable and the versatility of this thing can't be beat...but when I am laying in it lately, I am missing the comfort of my RR. Maybe I am spoiled?

RR Cons:
    A bit heavy
    Picky about tarp/pitch
    No Ridgeline

BB Cons:
    Not as comfortable as RR (to me)
    Guylines for wings are annoying (to me)

Comfort just trumps everything to me. I will save weight in other ways, if it means getting getting a great night sleep vs an ok nights sleep... In every other hammock besides my RR, I seem to wake up a couple times during the night for unknown reasons. It is not that I am spooked or feel uncomfortable...I just sleep "lighter" in a hammock, or in a tent for that matter. Maybe I am in "sentinel" mode, just because I am out in the woods and feel responsible for my group. I dunno. Anyway, in My RR, I always sleep like a baby, and have even been known to sleep late in it! I don't even sleep late at home!
    ...so I like it.

Anyway, on paper the BB wins (especially the XLC) but the comfort in the RR wins. I would do what Brandon said, and try both, if you can't get to another hang. It is really a personal choice, and no matter what we all say here, you will not know which one that you like best until you spend a few nights in them.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    First of all I am not a back packer I camp off motocycles, so weight is not as big a concern as packing size. I have a BB 1.7 dbl and a RR 1.7 dbl I like them both for different reasons.
    The RR is more trouble to pack with the poles but it is more open and airy, I like being able to open the netting for lounging. I like the saddle bags and being able to store lots of crap in the hammock with me.
    The BB is a fantastically comfortable hammock for me easy and quick to set up. Very forgiving to how and where it is setup. I got it before I found my RR so spent more time in it figuring out my lay in it, and it does seem to take more time to get accustom to how it works best for you. But worth it !

Take Brandon's advise and order both ! Just be prepaired to keep them both. Mine are both keepers !

P.S. I have not done any deep winter camping were the tarp has to be kept in tight on the RR so have not been troubled by the poles hitting the tarp. I live in Texas there is no cold winter camping.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    If you have heavy thick legs buy the rr.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Both good choices.

I've got an XLC. I got a RR and returned it, it just wasn't as comfortable for me, but I seem to be in the minority around here.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Both good choices.

I got a RR and returned it, it just wasn't as comfortable for me
    How tall, Paul?