Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    GT
    Insulation
    Blown In
    Suspension
    Nope, ridgid!

Outlaw-stelth

While checking out a local group hang, I couldn't help but see how many mentions there were of "outlaw" and "stelth" camping in areas where this is strictly forbidden. I saw a video labled "outlaw camping" and then it showed the trail name and trailhead kiosk. I never stay at a campground, so obviously I'm not against the idea. But let's not advertise that we're going to break the rules in a large group and tell the world where we'll be. ( that's not "stelth" ) Nothing like giving local rangers more incentive to be even more strict. Maybe let's just call it "camping".

Hammock
    11' tablecloth
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Leave no trace and don't advertise your spot.

Keeping a low profile when your out and about is the best way to be left alone. I never break any laws that are equally applied and/or enforced, not even sure there are any?

As always, Will
    “The most common form of terrorism in the U.S.A. is that carried on by bulldozers and chain saws.”
    ― Edward Abbey

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    As a group we are having the third thread discussion on that right now on WB

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...tealth-camping
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I don't know if the schedued Hang was in a National Forest but if it was, there's no reason for concern. It is legal to camp anywhere in most National Forests and any "Stealth Camping" mentioned is the kind where you just go off trail where nobdy can see you (and you aren't bothered by them). If there is a trailhead and kiosk designated, then chances are that it is perfectly legal to camp on that trail unless it has been expressly prohibited.

True "Outlaw" Stealth Camping is done where it is truly illegal to camp and an attempt is made to conceal one's presence. State Parks or Wilderness preserves that require a fee and specify campin only in designated campsites are examples. It is more common in Europe than it is in the US as most states maintain a tradition established as the population moved West to populate the Wilderness that allows access to private property unless it is properly fenced and marked in accordance with local laws and ordnances.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by devils son in law View Post
    While checking out a local group hang, I couldn't help but see how many mentions there were of "outlaw" and "stelth" camping in areas where this is strictly forbidden. I saw a video labled "outlaw camping" and then it showed the trail name and trailhead kiosk. I never stay at a campground, so obviously I'm not against the idea. But let's not advertise that we're going to break the rules in a large group and tell the world where we'll be. ( that's not "stelth" ) Nothing like giving local rangers more incentive to be even more strict. Maybe let's just call it "camping".
    Generally if your Stealth camping in a National Forest, you are not breaking any rules unless your hanging in a specific area that camping is not allowed. If someone said they were stealth camping in any kind of National Park or Forest, I would probably assume that they just mean they are hanging hidden from other hikers and backpackers in the area. As for stealth camping in areas not permitted like other than a Park or Forest, you may be breaking rules but you are not breaking any National Park or National Forest rules so there is no worry of affecting our relationship with any National Parks/Forests. If someone is violating the rules of a State or City Park then it will only affect that park's relationship with hammock'ers so the damage is just local. I agree that hammock'ers should be wary of possible repercussions to such banned activity.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    In Canada your allowed to camp 14 days on crown land without permits etc.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    In Canada your allowed to camp 14 days on crown land without permits etc.

bill
    If you are Canadian. U.S. folks are prohibited from camping on Crown Lands without specific permits. We are guests of the Canadians when north of the border and we should act the part.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    If you are Canadian. U.S. folks are prohibited from camping on Crown Lands without specific permits. We are guests of the Canadians when north of the border and we should act the part.
    Agreed; Wasn't throwing out the welcome mat, just stating what happens for us Canuks. It didn't seem to be a US specific conversation altho the OP was talking about a specific hang in the US. Their are plenty of canadians who might be curious about stealth here.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts