Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Supershelter Insulation System

I have an Expedition Asym (bottom loader). My question is, What temp is the supershelter insulation system rated for. Does it work?Is it any good? ETC.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    SS rating depends on the person... some are fine around 30F some are cold at 50F
    if you ask me they are hit or miss i had one and i couldn't stay warm at 50F with it i also know others that didn't have any luck with it
    but there are members that had very good luck with it
    to be honest for the same price you can get a Jarbridge from AHE and it's a solid 3 season UQ
    Also with an UQ you can use it on other hammocks
    the SS is limited to the HH ... yes others will tell you they got it to work on other hammocks but it's few and far in between and it's more of a pain than anything

Just my .02
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I bought the SS along with my HH Explorer Deluxe. Used alone (with a space blanket), mine gets marginal below 40F. I've supplemented it with a TQ beneath the OCF pad, and stuffed it with articles of clothing to extend the temperature range a bit lower. But, IMO, this effort starts to become more work than it should be - and somewhat trial and error each time out.

As a result, I've purchased a 3 Season UQ and TQ from JRB that I intend to use at temps up to about 45F.... then the SS will be my bottom insulation (with a summer TQ as top insulation) during outings above 45F.

Looking back, I'm not sure I would purchase the SS again... although I do intend to use it during warmer months. Others swear by it - so HYOH.

Images
    As has been said, people have been warm to way below zero ( with augmentation that I think is quite easy, even some with little or no augmentation ) or toasty at 14F no tarp in a 6F windchill ( me, by adding a fleece jacket and down vest I was not sleeping in, plus the sweet HH kidney/torso pads) or just barley warm enough with the basic system (1 space blanket, one HH OCF pad and under cover) at about 30-32F. And some others have not been happy at 50F, and some have had condensation issues.

I grew to love mine, even though I am also a big fan of my Speer PeaPod and JRB UQs especially used on a JRB bridge. I have had as many as 3 HHSSs ( 2 now ). And there are quite a few others like me around here, but there are also the ones who have no use for it. IOW, you will never know by asking opinions around here, they are all over the board.

I agree with those that say for about the same price you can get an AHE Climashield UQ which will probably work like a charm. But it will not pack as small, probably won't be as easy to boost/augment unless you add a ccf pad, and will require a bigger, heavier tarp (or an UQ protector) for as much protection from wind/rain/snow as comes built into the HHSS. Pros and cons, but a these UQs are another great option at about the same price.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=Super+Shelter

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=Super+Shelter

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51592

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=6236

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=6740

Wow, I sure had no memory of this old thread! In it kwpapke is seeking advice about how to extend the HHSS by adding his Parka. Shug chimes in to say "maybe we can get together for some cold weather testing". Next thing you know comes the uber famous minus 27 hammock hang video of Shug, who was joined by kwpapke with his augmented HHSS! This thread was preparation for hammock hanging history!
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=5997
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-24-2013 at 21:53.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the info! I may test it. The custom fit and compactness is hard to resist!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    My son Weasel and I are a couple of the success stories.

We've been out in temps around 20deg F, with some pretty hefty windchills, using decent tarps, and minimal supplementation to the system (he used a thermarest pad, I used a fleece blanket, both on top of the HH underpad).

I suspect at least part of our success has been the use of sleeping bags as opposed to topquilts as well.

I can't make a recommendation either way. The HHSS has worked for us, but not for others. I've not yet tried an underquilt or other insulation, so can't speek to a comparison of the two.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I used it in my backyard down to -2*C. I was just starting to get cool at 6:30am when it was time to wake up anyway. I added an additional OCF pad since I was at home, and was using a -10*C sleeping bag with a +7*C bag over top of that. The -10 bag is quite old and not quite good to its rating anymore. I had no condensation issues. I'm quite looking forward to using it this spring, summer and fall. The undercover stays on the hammock and goes in the snakeskins, and the OCF I put back in its bag, so it's quite compact.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Kelty 12X12
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    We've been out in temps around 20deg F, with some pretty hefty windchills, using decent tarps, and minimal supplementation to the system (he used a thermarest pad, I used a fleece blanket, both on top of the HH underpad).
    Owl - Just curious. You placed the thermarest between the SS and the hammock? And if so, did it slide around?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    Owl - Just curious. You placed the thermarest between the SS and the hammock? And if so, did it slide around?
    I didn't...Weasel did. And I believe he's used the thermarest both ways...inside the hammock, underneath the sleeping bag, and inside the HHSS on top of the OCF pad.

Not sure on how much it moved around or not, and can't ask him at the moment as he's gone to basic training.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    From my limited experience with the SS, it tends to keep everything pretty stationary.

• + New Posts