Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have been wondering this my self. Im in the Tampa bay area and want to start soon and was wondering what I would need, I have been bouncing around between a PLUQ or a double layer with something stuffed in the middle. I was hanging out at Ft. Desoto Beach on Easter and the mids 70's was feeling a bit cool during the middle of the day.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    What they said.

Also, I live in a place where we get multiple warm nights, and I'm a particularly warm sleeper. When it's too warm for the underquilt (even vented), I simply push it to one side of the hammock. If it gets cold enough during the night, I reach under the hammock and drag it back into place.

Same as you would with a top quilt, except that the underquilt is, well, underneath you...
    I do the same. Leave it to the side, and when I get cold, just pull it under me. No getting out of the hammock, and only takes a few seconds......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    As was said, it's just like a ground pad; how warm it keeps you is more about what you've got trapping the heat on top. When I was a ground dweller I didn't vary my pad for temps, I just varied the bag I used on top. Same idea.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    So am I reading this correctly, that getting a 20* UQ won't be a problem for me when the temps are 70? I want one pretty badly but I keep going back and forth on which one to get because I don't think I'll be allowed to purchase more than one. Oh, and I'm afraid to spend a fortune, but I don't want to limit myself to only certain temperatures.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by almaxey View Post
    So am I reading this correctly, that getting a 20* UQ won't be a problem for me when the temps are 70? I want one pretty badly but I keep going back and forth on which one to get because I don't think I'll be allowed to purchase more than one. Oh, and I'm afraid to spend a fortune, but I don't want to limit myself to only certain temperatures.
    Well I had my first experience with really warm temps here in guam recently. I had a pluq and didn't take it off all night to see what would happen. The low was around 79 or 80 and I totally roasted in shorts and short sleeves with no tq. And I had set up so the wind would come under my minimal tarp. You don't need an uq for anything above 75 even in shorts...you might be different on comfort temps. Try sleeping inside a few nights and you'll learn your body/hammock stuff for warmer temps.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    To answer your question though, a 20 is a good starting point. Most make do with that for a while before they upgrade.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12