Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Unhappy Rip TCH

He wasn't around that long and didn't get much use either. There was a visible imperfection along one of the side seams, but not where this catastrophe took place. It's possible there was another bad spot I had not previously detected. Perhaps in setting up and taking down I snagged a spot in it, or maybe my son poked through with something, who knows? I could swear that I heard something that sounded like the stand giving way before my carcass hit the ground, but I couldn't detect any changes in the stand afterwards. Oh well. Not a huge loss, but with the thickness of this material, it is really making me leary of taking a single layer into the backcountry; at least not without a backup hammock. Sorry no video of the fall, only this obituary pic.

IMG_1399.jpg

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    By the way, this was a table cloth factory blank whipped into a hammock (Hence the TCH [table cloth hammock] in the subject line). No representation is being made that their fabric is not suitable for hanging, but I have used a number of different materials, many from Walmart's value bins with unknown names and weights and this is the first I've had fail on me. By the way I'm 5-11 and about 210lbs. I've never gone overnight with this one and have only spent maybe a couple of hours overall in it. I had no keys in my pocket or other sharp objects; I was wearing jogging pants and a fleece jacket. It wasn't strung tight or anything, it just gave way.

The only thing I had done differently was that one end of my test lab is a bi-pod of 3" fence post (think what is used at the corners) connected to a dog anchor that I have been using for years. I noticed that the anchor had moved up a little since the ground has been softer lately and I also noticed that I had moved the legs in to where the ratchet strap that connects the legs to the anchor were closer to the anchor thereby making the angle from the bi-pod to the anchor greater. I had since moved the legs away from the anchor to get to a lower angle. I had also placed the posts on some 2x4's so that they wouldn't bury up in the ground. When I heard the noise I thought the anchor, ratchet strap or 2x4's had slipped but then I noticed I was sliding down to the ground and the hammock was ripping beneath me. It happened very quickly but I swear I heard a "ping" sound or something metallic. I'm not looking for theories on the cause necessarily, but if someone wants to offer those I'll listen. I'm just chalking this up to bad luck and moving on.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I've noticed an "imperfection" on one of my hammocks, I think it might have been caused by a back pocket zipper pull during an afternoon nap.

I know its days are numbered so I make sure I hang it low

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Glad you weren't hurt, and thanks for sharing. Hopefully it was just a one time thing with the TCH. Maybe something poked a hole and weakened it. ........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Ouch, glad your okay.

On a positive note, hem the ends and you have two hammock chairs - there are a few threads here to make them :-)

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Rip TCH

One of the first tablecloths I ordered had some holes in it where it appears the fabric caught on the machinery at the factory. Tableclothfactory.com promptly sent me another one. Since that time, I carefully inspect each tablecloth by holding it up to the light just to be sure that there are no pin holes (or bigger) present in the weaving.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1/1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 for now
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, pad
    Suspension
    woopies/straps
    I had one fail on the first time in about a foot from the gather, fixed it and had it fail again, ended up making a hammock for the kids room with what I could salvage, that one has been going strong for 9 mo in the kids room, my other I had got at the same time is still going strong after anumber of nights in back yard and over a good week in the woods, had over 500 lbs in it at one time, me and 3 kids and maybe a dog.
    The best things happen at the worse possible time.

It(I) might not be the prettiest thing, however It(I'm) is quite functional.

SON: Dad why do I have to make my bed? It is just going to get messed up again.
    DAD: Why do you wipe your bottom.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Intersesting idea

Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    Ouch, glad your okay.

On a positive note, hem the ends and you have two hammock chairs - there are a few threads here to make them :-)
    I hadn't thought about making hammock chairs. I was going to use it to sew a bag to store my down quilts in, but this is a great idea as well. Thanks.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    My condolences. I would guess that was a fabric flaw (weakness), howeve, I can not see it well enough to positively state that as fact.

I hate to pick on son's, but my son has caused me so much concern with mysterious happenings over the years that now days I am suspecious when ever something odd or unusal happens. Like the time a RCMP pulled me over, why, because I had not tail lights on my car...What happened after I took it to the dealership and spent a bunch of money on diagnostics????Hum, my charming son needed some little light globes for a project, he took them out of my tail lights.

I was happy when he moved out into the adult world, a lot of odd things stopped happening. LOL Ah, the joys of parenting.

I am glad you were not seriously injured.

• + New Posts