Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Upcoming birthday = new toy ideas!

Gone are the days of big birthday surprises, my wife has decided my nagging has warranted a hammock! I'm pretty set on the WBBB double 1.7, based on weight requirements & too many hours of research to count.

I don't currently have an UQ, but with warm weather on the horizon & plenty of unused sleeping pads cluttering the attic, I'm going to invest in a tarp setup first. I'm thinking the Wilderness Logics Tadpole & Dutch Gear Stringerz (w/the line already spliced into it).

I've heard nothing but good things about both products, but I figured I'd tap into some of the knowledge on HF. Would anyone here recommend a setup like this, or is there something glaringly needed to improve this?

I've got to say, I'm pumped to get off the ground! I started volunteering with my step father's scout troop, so I'll get to use my new gear more often... They've already got a hiking trip planned for the end of April, so I'll have some time to get things squared away in the backyard!

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Looks like you've done your research. Guessing you plan on a sleeping bag for Top insulation. Welcome to the forums!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I think you will be happy with that setup. I want to get a Tadpole myself for summer, lightweight backpacking.

If you are out during the shoulder seasons, some of the bigger tarps would afford more coverage from wind, rain, etc.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Any thought of starting with a larger - 4 season tarp like the Superfly?
    It is certainly heavier, but the larger size and the doors make it an every day, any time of the year, nearly fool-proof set up.
    Staked out in porch mode, there is lots of room for a small gathering, the doors give you some privacy that you may need on those scout trips, it feels like a house inside.
    I also think it is easier to start out with a larger tarp. Much less to worry about with site selection, wind direction, less fiddle factor overall.
    I started with a smaller tarp, the Edge, that I still love. I ended up making a set of grizz beaks to have for bad weather days. I don't plan on getting rid of this setup, but by the time I add the weight of the beaks and the tarp, I'm not too far under the Superfly.
    I know that I can always sell the Superfly here in no time flat.
    Just a thought

Images
    I too agree the superfly is a worth while year-round tarp.
    Also, I tried Dutch's tarp flyz on both sides of the tarp, and found a dutch hook on a prusik on one side worked a lot better for adjusting/setting up.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images
    Most of my research was done here on HF, there's so much knowledge & info, it's overwhelming!

I'll be using a regular bag as a TQ. Once I get an UQ, maybe I'll try to shave some weight with a dedicated TQ.

As for the fly, THAT is the exact kind of critiquing & suggestions I was looking for! I'll definitely be getting a larger tarp at some point (before it gets cold I hope! ). I only set my sights on the Tadpole because it seems to be a happy medium between price/coverage/weight for the near future/season. I'm hoping it does the trick for now, as I'm just trying to "get out there". I figure, it's at a price that is low enough so I can see what I like/need for another, more expensive, tarp in the future.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Also, I tried Dutch's tarp flyz on both sides of the tarp, and found a dutch hook on a prusik on one side worked a lot better for adjusting/setting up.

thread here

I too really like this set up. Clip the dutch hook end at the first tree, run out the tarp from the stuff sack (in snakeskins of course), Wrap the line around second tree, then slide the tarp into the desired position and tie off at the flyz or stinger end--no walking back and forth to adjust the other end.

I also think you are correct in your priorities. There are multiple methods of bottom and top insulation, but starting with a good (great) hammock and weather protection is vital.

Jason

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images
    I'm still confused about all the different ways to put up a tarp, but would I need a continuous ridgeline for the prusik to work? I'm ashamed to admit it, but my knot skills are very rusty lol. The Stringerz looked like a easy/lazy option haha

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Likeapuma View Post
    I'm still confused about all the different ways to put up a tarp, but would I need a continuous ridgeline for the prusik to work? I'm ashamed to admit it, but my knot skills are very rusty lol. The Stringerz looked like a easy/lazy option haha
    Knots - snotz, who needs knots--we have Dutch.
    Talk to him or his elf. They can probably set you up with the whole thing, just like in the picture. I'm not sure if they will do the small loop for the prussik, but let me know if you need one, I'll be happy to send one out to you.
    Jason

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Knots - snotz, who needs knots--we have Dutch.
    Talk to him or his elf. They can probably set you up with the whole thing, just like in the picture. I'm not sure if they will do the small loop for the prussik, but let me know if you need one, I'll be happy to send one out to you.
    Jason

+ 1 Agreed! Go with the Dutch tarp suspension. Two-piece or continuous - each has benefits. I have both and usually use the two piece YMMV.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast