HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch

Sil nylon hammock??

If this has already been covered please direct me to the proper thread but I wasn't able to find anything so here goes...is there any downfalls to making a hammock out of sil nylon, specifically a double layer hammock? I only ask because I have a ray jardine tarp kit that I bought a couple years ago when I was still a ground sleeper with the intent on making the tarp setup and just never got around to it. Now that I'm a hammock hanger I'm not quite sure it will be long enough to fully cover the average hammock(it's only 108 in. long). The kit has two pieces that are each 108 by 55 in. so it would make a dandy double layer hammock once sewn together, I'm just not sure about how breathable it will be since its coated with sil. Would there be any moisture issues on the inside of the hammock because of the coating?

I'm mostly toying with this idea because my current hammock, while functional, is a tad short for my liking and I would like to make a longer one which the material from the tarp kit would allow me to do. I also am happy with my tarp at the moment. It's a cheap blue Walmart tarp so it is on the heavy and bulky side but beyond that it serves my purposes very well. Any thoughts on this would be helpful, thanks folks!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    If you are going to use sil for the hammock body (outer layer), you will want a breathable liner (inner layer), either regular 1.1 , taffeta , or similar to wick the moisture away from you. Make no mistake, there will be condensation. a lot of our first prototypes were made with 1.9 poly coated (waterproof), commonly know as the "jungle hammock" style. We avoided most of the moisture with a taffeta liner, but not all of it. This is a design conducive to using pads vs. under quilts. Just some food for thought.

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    As Darby said, condensation is the big issue. If the material were driducks, then you might be able to pull it off with minimal condensation.

As far as size of tarp, here is a link to an online calculator (bad at math) that can allow you to calculate the diagonal of a rectangle or square with length and width of the size you have to work with... http://www.webmath.com/geo_rectangle.html

For me I have a 5x7 (60x84) tarp that will cover my hammock with a few inches on either side. It is not a storm weather tarp, but with synthetics I won't die due to being a little damp like I would have a chance of with down. Most that are afraid of a little moisture will jump for a larger tarp. I will only use a large tarp in the winter (cold weather, i dont get winter in guam) to cut wind off my backside.

Hope this helps...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    As Darby said, condensation is the big issue. If the material were driducks, then you might be able to pull it off with minimal condensation.

As far as size of tarp, here is a link to an online calculator (bad at math) that can allow you to calculate the diagonal of a rectangle or square with length and width of the size you have to work with... http://www.webmath.com/geo_rectangle.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    If you are going to use sil for the hammock body (outer layer), you will want a breathable liner (inner layer), either regular 1.1 , taffeta , or similar to wick the moisture away from you. Make no mistake, there will be condensation. a lot of our first prototypes were made with 1.9 poly coated (waterproof), commonly know as the "jungle hammock" style. We avoided most of the moisture with a taffeta liner, but not all of it. This is a design conducive to using pads vs. under quilts. Just some food for thought.

Cheers, Dale
    Thanks guys, I figured that would be the case. Thanks also for the link to the rectangle calculator, I haven't used the Pythagorean theorem in years lol! My question now would be in reference to the seam of the tarp. If I pitch the tarp diagonally the seam will be running across the ridgeline in a perpendicular fashion, will that put any undue stress on the seam?

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    The Speer 8' x 10' CatCut Tarp has the seam running perpendicular to the ridge and as far as I know, there has never been am issue with it. It is one of the oldest tarps on the hammock market.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Several people have made tarps with the seam running askew to the ridge line. The only thing to worry about is that the tarp can stretch a bit more than typical due to hanging on the bias. What size hammock are you using? If you are using a short enough hammock that that 108 inch hammock is bigger then you may be able to use the tarp in a rectangular pitch over it.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    What size hammock are you using? If you are using a short enough hammock that that 108 inch hammock is bigger then you may be able to use the tarp in a rectangular pitch over it.
    Currently I'm using a DIY/modified byer hammock that is only 78 in long when flat so the tarp would work fine with that hammock if pitched in a rectangular fashion, but I will eventually be making a gathered end hammock that is anywhere from 9-10 ft long so 108 in would either be just long enough or too short.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I currently use a 108 inch hammock. My hammock ridge line is around 90 inches. A 108 inch tarp would provide me with 9 inches of coverage on each end. While many would say that you need a minimum of 12 inches of coverage on each end, I figure I could go as little as 6 inches, especially with a rectangular tarp where the corners can be pulled in for more coverage.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I currently use a 108 inch hammock. My hammock ridge line is around 90 inches. A 108 inch tarp would provide me with 9 inches of coverage on each end. While many would say that you need a minimum of 12 inches of coverage on each end, I figure I could go as little as 6 inches, especially with a rectangular tarp where the corners can be pulled in for more coverage.
    Well it sounds like I should give the rayway tarp project a try then. Thank for the info!

• + New Posts